PDA

View Full Version : ScratchX or Meg`s Step 1?

AcuraYYZ
03-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I have some very light swirls on my car. It`s a gun-metal grey metalliac color. Would you suggest Scratch-X or Meg`s Step 1? Both would be applied by hand after washing/claying. Following the swirl removal I am planning to apply Step 3 as my LSP. Would you suggest this? Besides NXT what other OTC products are good for an LSP?

jDizzle
03-13-2009, 07:01 PM
ive used both megs deep crystal step pre cleaner (step one) and scratch x, the precleaner isnt going to remove your swirls, it only preps paint to give the following steps a clean surface to hold onto... the scratch x should work if you`re willing to put a lot of time and elbow grease into it... ive used the original version for this purpose on several cars, and it works great.. takes forever, but works. for me, scratch X 2.0 is worthless, they deffinatley upped the abrasiveness a TON, and it hasnt finnished down nicley for me yet, no matter how long you work it... mabye i just have a bad batch, but i cant reccoment scratch x 2.0.. perhaps someone else can, and possibly enlighten me as to how im using it wrong...

as for your LSP question... what is most important to you?, durability? looks? does it have to be available OTC? etc

frito
03-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I have had good luck with all of the MEG`s new products. No issue with Scratch X 2.0. However, I would get Swirl -x and if that is not cutting it ultimate compound followed by swirl-x and then LSP.

BTW my paint is a dark blue gray.

jDizzle
03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
frito... i had the same issue with swirl x... i can figure out wat im doing wrong... swirl x just seemed to leave a haze.. had to use an even lighter polish to remove it..

AcuraYYZ
03-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Must be OTC. I haven`t seen Swirl-X in Canada (or maybe I`m not looking). Looks in a LSP are important. Durability not so much since its for the summer.

frito
03-13-2009, 07:29 PM
It really depends on the paint. On mine the products finish really well. Swirl-x finished like an LSP. I do not think you are doing anything wrong. I am sure on some paints it will take a milder product. You may want to try Swirl-x with light pressure to see if that helps.

jDizzle
03-13-2009, 09:28 PM
thank for the advise frito. sorry for stealing your thread acuraYYZ

back to your question... when it comes to good looking LSPs (if you dont care about durability).. you basically have 2 choices... carnuba. or synthetic.. synthetic makes your paint appear more glossy and shiny, but less depth... carnuba makes for a nice warm deep shine. for OTC products.. synthetics i like mothers FX syn wax, and NXT 2.0... for carnubas, mothers pure carnuba wax is pretty nice stuff

since you just want looks, get urself a nice spray wax/quick detailer too, so everytime you wash you can give your car back that "fresh wax" look.. mothers FX spray wax is good stuff.. meguiars ultimate quick detailer, and ultimate quick wax are both great too.. lots of people also like duragloss Aqua Wax spray...

howcome you dont like nxt?