PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive Removal - I`ve tried almost everytihng, now what?!

Pages : [1] 2

Phusion
03-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Alright, let me just get straight to the point. I have a black 2005 civic coupe. I wanted to take off the badges and the stripe from the side. Okay, so I looked up the proper technique. Badges came off just fine, the side stripe was a little difficult. Some of the stripe I could just peel away and no glue was left on the car, but then some of the stripe was to hard to peel so I had to scrape it off with either my nail or a plastic scraping tool. I saw how much glue would stay, but didn`t worry because I had goo gone.

After I removed the stripe from both sides, I attempted to remove the excess glue. I used goo gone, wd-40, rubbing alcohol, I let it sit for a while, but nothing... The glue is still on there and I don`t know what to do. I wanted to remove this glue then do a complete detailing job by myself, but I can`t do anything until it`s gone.

I read somewhere that maybe an ultra fine grit wet sand might work to take it off? I really don`t know? I`m what you call a detailing noob so any information will help. I just want to make sure I do everything right. Thanks to anyone in advance.

Cody40691
03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Lacquer thinner or 3M adhesive remover

BigJimZ28
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
one of two things is happening

1.) you are not giving the adhesive remover enough dwell time to dissolve the adhesive

2.) you have some "gosting" this is when th paint under the stripe did not fade like the rest of the paint

mhuie
03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Try a hot wet rag and let it sit on the spot to soften the glue/adhesive. That with some adhesive remover usually works for me.

chromecarz00
03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Lets get a pic, laquer thinner might eat your CC i wouldnt...

WhiteStripes
03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Picture would definitely help. I`ve removed the badges and moldings and such from several of my and friends cars and Automotive Goo Gone has always done the trick. However, I`ve usually had to hit the area with some ZPC or Meg`s Fine Cut Cleaner afterward to clean up the little lines that stay behind.

ALAN81
03-12-2009, 06:43 PM
3M gets out just about everything if used right

GLuXuRy
03-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Lacquer thinner or 3M adhesive remover

i second 3m adhesive remover .. i use it at work and hasnt failed me yet .. i removes sunroof seals like butter

get a hair drier to soften the goop up too .. or if you have a heat gun, that would be faster

WaxManRonnie
03-12-2009, 07:01 PM
3M Adhesive remover for the win!

AeroCleanse
03-12-2009, 09:10 PM
3M Adhesive remover or the 3M Thermoplastic removal wheel.

1bad04cobra
03-12-2009, 09:25 PM
3M adhesive remover is great the eraser wheel can leave places in the paint that you gotta buff, the adhesive remover wont GREAT STUFF. Just wish I could post stuff on this forum to figure out how to get this track prep stuff they use at the dragstrip of my Cobra. Any help guys???????????

Accumulator
03-13-2009, 10:19 AM
IMO *everybody* oughta have a can or two of the 3M Adhesive Remover, it`s simply great stuff to have around (around the shop, the house, you name it).

And yeah on the dwell-time. Sometimes you gotta come up with goofy-looking ways to keep the Adhesive Remover-soaked rag in contact with the area, like leaning a 2X4 against it or something.

imported_Jakerooni
03-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Heat it up. Heat has always been the best removal tool. get a heat gun and warm up the glue get a plastic razor blade and scrape it off. Only after you try the safest methods should you try to result to chemical warfare. (which as your finding out isn`t always going to work anyways) I can`t imagine what all this stuff everyone is telling you is the golden answer is actually doing to your paint and CC. I mean hell if you want it gone instantly spray it with brake clean. Just watch it because it`ll eat through your CC fast if your not careful LOL. (ie use the heat gun and a plastic razor blade it`s safe and effective)

Barry Theal
03-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Lets get a pic, laquer thinner might eat your CC i wouldnt...

depending on the car, almost all newer cars are sprayed with acrylic paints. Laquer thinner will not eat your clearcoat if its acrylic!!! put some laquer on a rag rub it over the glue let sit a few seconds then take a platic blade and rub it right off!!!! do yourself a a favor get some rubber gloves! a few pair actually!! the laquer thinner may eat a way at the gloves depending how cheao they are!!

Flawless Image
03-13-2009, 06:43 PM
i removed my pinstripes off my 01 chevy 2500HD. Needless to say, they were old and had many many breaks in the stripes. so i had to go really slow. got all that off, then used paint thinner on the glue. got all that off, and now it looks like pure crap! im new to anything other than the basics of waxing. i have a high speed buffer, but im afraid to use it.. what do you guys recommend. the whole truck basically needs a good `going over`. Its black by the way..

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/41/l_963f38b9adaa449fa7ebda03f0f15731.jpg