PDA

View Full Version : Merenza Q`s

volvoguy
03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
After reading the thread about PO85 and 106ff I have a few questions.

I already own FPII and also use Megs 105 and 205. My personal car is a 2006 Civic Si and I know that the paint on that is ungoldly soft.

I wanted to get PO85 as a Jeweling step but it looks like FPII would be better for me anyway. Also should I use my rotary for the Jeweling stage, or my PC?

Also I usually finish my clients cars off with a Sealant of some kind. After reading the last post I am unclear as to what I should follow FPII up with. I have ZAIO and AIO. I dont know what products would work or if I should just do an IPA wipedown and then finish it up with a Sealant.

Setec Astronomy
03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Maybe I don`t know what I`m talking about, but 205 isn`t giving you good results for "jeweling"?

volvoguy
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I havent really given it a try at jeweling, I figured it was just too harsh for that. I dont really know and may be completely wrong

Setec Astronomy
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Heck, it says "Ultra Finishing Polish" on the bottle. The PO85RD has the same gloss but more cut than FPII according to the Menz chart.

volvoguy
03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
well then I glad I asked, just saved me some money!

Setec, about the post jeweling stage for Sealants, what would you recommend I do? Just an IPA wipe down, or could I follow that with AIO safetly?

Setec Astronomy
03-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Sheesh, I told you I don`t know what I`m talking about. Are you saying you want to use an AIO? If so, by all means, do so. Just take it easy and use clean media so as not to mess up your "jeweling". IPA wipedown seems easier; same cautions.

volvoguy
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Sorry, I wasnt sure what you didnt know what you were talking about. Ill just try 205 and FPII and see if I can notice any difference on my Honda paint.

termigator
03-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I got loads of FP II also, along with IP. They works great on my Red Prelude. I got those long before the other stuff became popular. I hadn`t been on Autopia for a good while and missed a lot of the new stuff. I`m trying to catch up now, but I still got the "old stuff."

This is just a guess, but if you have M205, you should try that out and see if you like what you see before buying the PO85RD. From what I heard so far, it`s awesome.

In any case, I read the same thread you saw and posed the question on using FP II instead of PO85RD. I was told that it should be fine since FP II is the same with less cut and it should be fine on soft paints like our Hondas.:xyxthumbs

wannafbody
03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I`d suggest using FP2 with a random orbit PC instead of a roatry to finish. It takes a lot of practice to finish hollogram free with a rotary.

volvoguy
03-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah I was thinking about switching over to the PC for FP2 to finish it down properly

blk45
03-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Try the 205 with a zero cut pad (LC blue) and go easy on the pressure. After that, go over the same area with the FPII with a blue pad and see if it gives you better results. If so, use the FPII. If not, don`t waste your time. Also, since your paint is soft, FPII is a better choice for you than 85RD.

Once you are done, just do an IPA wipedown and go right to your sealant. You can use an AIO if you like, but it`s not necessary and there is no real benefit to it. You will get better results by spending that time making sure that your paint is as good as it can be and totally clean for the sealant to bond to.

Your title says "Uncontrollable QDer". I wouldn`t use a QD excessively on that soft paint. You are just asking for trouble.