PDA

View Full Version : How to keep everyday driver looking new!

Pages : [1] 2

DetailnByDustn
03-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep their car looking new? Getting rid of water spots?

BigJimZ28
03-11-2009, 03:21 PM
water spot or water etching?

DetailnByDustn
03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Whats the Difference? I thought water etching was what was left after water has been evaporated on the surface?

BigJimZ28
03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
a water spot is nothing more then a mineral deposit that is left after the water evaporated

water etching has actually "eaten" some of the clearcoat/paint

and need to be polished or coumpounded or wetsanded to fix it

DetailnByDustn
03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
O okay, how is the best way to get rid of water spots?

BigJimZ28
03-11-2009, 03:53 PM
sometimes a simple wash will take care of it

you might try a QD

or vinegar car disolve the mineral deposit but it needs some dwel time to work

also I have not used it but several members on here like:

Danase water Spot Remover - The safe way to remove water spots (http://danase.com/Danase-Water-Spot-Remover-p4.html)

Irkie500
03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Chemical Guys also makes a water spot removal product, have not used it myself but im sure someone can tell you how well it works.

imported_shine
03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Distilled white vinegar has done the trick for me.

Setec Astronomy
03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep their car looking new? Getting rid of water spots?

You`re kidding, right? In that other thread you told us you have your own business and you`ve detailed over 100 cars. Don`t your customers come and ask YOU this question? :think: Or are you playing us now?

imported_RZJZA80
03-11-2009, 07:01 PM
use Klasse AIO with a buffer and black pad, works great on removing all water spots

citizen arcane
03-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I use PB Black Hole on a black or white pad to remove mineral spots on my black DDs.

DetailnByDustn
03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Distilled white vinegar has done the trick for me.

How do you apply the vinegar wouldn`t that hurt your paint?

Danspeed1
03-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Danase Water Spot Remover (period).

I had massive hard water etching all over my black, hard clear coated Impala SS. This stuff knocked it down like nothing! I don`t think there is any other product on the market that can remove something embedded in paint the way this stuff does.

DG

imported_shine
03-12-2009, 07:42 AM

Mist a some onto a microfiber towel and lightly wipe the surface. You can also dilute this down to at least 2:1 water:vinegar. I only do this if a wash and clay does not take care of the spots. As Jim mentioned, if the spots are etched they need to be removed by something abrasive--polish/compound, or in the worst of cases, wet sanding.

Accumulator
03-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Vinegar is a pretty weak acid, it shouldn`t hurt autopaint at all.

Consider that the acidic step of decontamination systems is a *LOT* more potent and still doesn`t do any damage (well, as long as you use it right, never hurt anything for me).

Note that some etching gets so deep that the only answer is wetsanding, and in those cases *I* just live with it instead of over-thinning the clear. I have that on the roof of my wife`s A8 and on the horizontal surfaces of the Yukon, which was apparently parked outside 24/7 and never waxed while the first owner had it.

How to keep daily drivers looking new? Treat them the same as garage-queens and they`ll stay nice. Just has to be done more often and you might want to use a higher durability LSP.