PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best way to shampoo carpet w/o an extractor?

Pages : [1] 2

LoiG37
03-11-2009, 07:22 AM
What is the best way to shampoo carpets, floormats, and seats without the help of an extractor?

I have:

Pressure Washer

Brush Tip attached on Rotary Buffer

Shark Steam Cleaner

Shop-Vac

Tuff Stuff

Folex

APC Shampoo

thanks

BobD
03-11-2009, 07:36 AM
My opinion:

vacuum the carpet, brush the carpet, vacuum again, spray carpet cleaner, use brush on a PC or Cyclo to scrub, soak up with a towel, and probably vacuum again because the bush on a machine will bring even more embedded dirt to the surface or at least loosen it.

Accumulator
03-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I`ll add this onto what Danase posted- you could also use the steamer to blast more [stuff] out and help deep-clean things. Be a little careful as I melted some synthetic carpet with mine :o

And then *rinse* things thoroughly with either clear water or a rinse agent made for extractors. Just don`t get things like carpet and uhpolstery so damp (think about the padding/etc.) that they`ll never dry out.

To get the moisture out, I`d use the shop vac before switching to the towel, letting the shop vac get most of the water/etc. out Use a nozzle with a small opening to concentrate its suction.

LoiG37
03-11-2009, 08:40 AM
what kind of carpet cleaner do you suggest? the Foam or Spray Bottle type? and how "damp" should the carpet be or could be? thanks

imported_Jakerooni
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Foam always works better in the nap of the carpet. It gets down and then "foams" the dirt to the surface. Makes the job easier.

DetailnByDustn
03-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Ive detailed about 100 cars and I use Tuff Stuff/Resolve and an upholstery brush, just spray let it "foam" and use the upholstery brush to loosen as much dirt you can from the carpet then suck it up with a vac. But I would read all the comment before taking mine, they might have a better way. Its really hard to get all the dirt up without a carpet extractor which cost around $600.

Bbasso
03-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Nothing like having the carpet out of the car ;)

DetailnByDustn
03-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Nothing like having the carpet out of the car ;)

True haha, carpet mats you can use a pre cleaner and soak them in that and spray them off with a high pressure hose to get them clean! Just dry them with a air hose or put them in the sun, don`t leave them in the car overnight or they will mildew :(

SuperBee364
03-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Darn it... I`m so disorganized... I can`t find the threads right now, but both David Fermani and Grouse have *very* educational threads on carpet cleaning.

I try not to do interiors for hire, so I can`t add anything other than to say you might want to find those threads.

Well, maybe one other thing... on lightly soiled carpet, Resolve Granules work quite well. They`re quick and easy to use, too.

Edit: found David Fermani`s thread: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/106012-my-process-manually-cleaning-carpets.html

still working on Grouse`s.

AppliedColors
03-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Also, there`s no harm in turning on the heater in the car (point it at the floor) to dry out the carpets. Don`t set the heater to full heat if the carpets are exceptionally dirty, or you`ll get top layer "browning."

From Nov. - March, it`s just not practical to wait 8 hours for your customers` carpets to dry.

imported_Ivan Rajic
03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Darn it... I`m so disorganized... I can`t find the threads right now, but both David Fermani and Grouse have *very* educational threads on carpet cleaning.

I try not to do interiors for hire, so I can`t add anything other than to say you might want to find those threads.

Well, maybe one other thing... on lightly soiled carpet, Resolve Granules work quite well. They`re quick and easy to use, too.

Edit: found David Fermani`s thread: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/106012-my-process-manually-cleaning-carpets.html

HURRY UP!! :laugh:

SuperBee364
03-11-2009, 01:14 PM
HURRY UP!! :laugh:

I`m *still* trying to find it. :o Does anyone happen to have it in their subscribed threads? Apparently I deleted my subscription to that thread accidentally.

imported_Ivan Rajic
03-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I`m *still* trying to find it. :o Does anyone happen to have it in their subscribed threads? Apparently I deleted my subscription to that thread accidentally.

I think I know what you`re talking about and I`ll check when I`m home from work later... I changed my laptop since it was written so there`s a chance it`s gone

citizen arcane
03-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Is this it?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/86721-just-purchases-mytee-lite-ii-any-tips-using-3.html

Mobilejay
03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
I use a product called ZEP High Traffic Cleaner. It works very well. It is a spray bottle type, I vacuum the carpets spray a good amount of HTC. After sprayed I brush it in and let it sit for a couple of min. Then I take a cloth and go over the carpets and before I vacuum them out again. You can use Folex to get rid of little stains before you use the ZEP. Works out pretty good for me.