PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please!

kaval
03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi everyone.

I need some help with these rims. They belong to a race team I sponsor. They race with Hawk Blue race pads, which give off a corrosive brake dust. The dust was left to sit for too long, and it started to rust and bonded to the rim. I`m not familiar in dealing with this, so I tried some clay bar with little success.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff282/makeitshine/konig3.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff282/makeitshine/konig2.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff282/makeitshine/konig1.jpg

Are there any chemicals or methods I can use to remove this with minimal damage to the lip? The lip is all that we care about as they are looking to sell them. The owner went to the car wash and used a pressure washer to hose down the rims. Some rust actually flaked off, so perhaps all it needs is some chemical reaction to take place to release it? I don`t know. I`m not very knowledgeable with this sort of thing, so I thought I`d post up here and ask for your advice :). I thought about using rust dissolver, but I fear it may damage the lip. To my knowledge, the lip is clearcoated, but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Kaval

gtpaul
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I think those are at the point of no return. I`d say sand the lips, and polish them to a high gloss.

Irkie500
03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
It might take a while but going from 120 sandpaper all the way up to 2500 or 3000 will make it look like new or very damn close, then just get some clear enamel at a hardware store and give it a couple of coats, should be good to go. I did this with an aluminium airsoft gun slide and got it to a mirror finish, takes time but works.

kaval
03-10-2009, 04:40 AM
How would the clear enamel fair against future brake dust?

Setec Astronomy
03-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Um...how about some HF wheel cleaner to dissolve the metal and then see what it looks like after that?

kaval
03-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Um...how about some HF wheel cleaner to dissolve the metal and then see what it looks like after that?

Is Meg`s Wheel Brightener an HF-based cleaner?

imported_Picus
03-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Sure is. It`ll probably eat those wheels, but that`s ok since you`re going to end up sanding them anyway. And who know, it might work. I`d try WB 4:1, then 2:1 if it doesn`t work at 4:1. Hell, even try full strength if you`re comfortable with it, just do me a favour and wear gloves and a mask.

As for the sanding part (which I think you will have to do). It`s a pain in the rear, but I did a similar wheel on a Porsche, started with 600 grit and went to 3000, then polished with p21s polishing soap and left it, they weren`t cleared in the first place. It looked pretty oem.

Setec Astronomy
03-11-2009, 08:19 AM
I guess if Picus is right, skip the WB and just go right to the sanding. My fingers hurt just thinking about it.

imported_Picus
03-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Well it`s definitely worth a shot. I could be wrong (I often am), it might work well. I just think it`ll leave stains on those wheels, but who knows.

Setec Astronomy
03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
You know me, I`m the last to recommend HF products, but this seems to be the case for it.

aixab
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM
ouch.

I think those are at the point of no return. I`d say sand the lips, and polish them to a high gloss.

i would have to agree.

kaval
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies once again!

If these wheels are too much work, I think they are just going to sell them as is. If WB will make any difference, I`ll give it a shot.