PDA

View Full Version : Black Trim

Pages : [1] 2

MIKE GILLEAN
03-08-2009, 04:11 PM
2001 Nissan frontier. Black plastic bumpers, grille and fender flares. I have used Black Again for years with good results. Lately, as soon as it rains, it is washed off, and the black surfaces chalk up very lite grey, but not loose so it could be wqshed off. Black Again will darken the plastic, but not completly black on the tops and sides. Areas that do not get much sun darken properly, so it is sun related. Has to be parked outside. I have no trouble with any other finishes on car, I use Ultima, Classe and cover inside. This plastic part drives me nuts. I tried Forever Black once on a fender flare, and on another car. It finished streaky. Any ideas? Mike

Street5927
03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Try Leatherique. I have used it on black plastic and rubber trim. It holds exceptionally well and looks great.

Leatherique Rubber Black Dye - Leather Care - Detailing Products & Supplies Catalog (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/product/Leatherique-Rubber-Black-Dye.html)

eyezack87
03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I only use Black Wow on textured plastic panels...although I did ask Richard to see if his dad will make a spray version since it does get troublesome sometimes....

Accumulator
03-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I generally use the Klasse twins or Collinite 845 on textured black plastic trim. No streaking/running in the rain, no dust attraction, and it doesn`t need redone very often. Works best if the trim is in decent condition.

BigJimZ28
03-09-2009, 11:11 AM
did you ever try giving them a good cleaning?

imported_Jakerooni
03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
The permanent solution is to take them off and have a body shop professionally paint them again. Black wow is the best trim product I`ve used for a long lasting solution.

impulse922
03-09-2009, 11:39 AM
my girlfriend has an 01` xterra that suffers this same problem, but like every other older model xterra/frontier, the bumpers and grille aren`t made out of the same type of plastic that things like black wow and other products adhere(well) to.

This summer i am planning to sand and paint the bumpers, grille, and mudflaps with some sort of rattle can trim black..

dublifecrisis
03-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Accumulator-I expect you to suggest 845 for waxing paint but plastic trim? are you for real? I never heard of intentionally putting wax on trim. I`ve done it by accident plenty of times though. I`m guessing IW doesn`t stain trim.

Accumulator
03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Accumulator-I expect you to suggest 845 for waxing paint but plastic trim? are you for real? I never heard of intentionally putting wax on trim. I`ve done it by accident plenty of times though. I`m guessing IW doesn`t stain trim.

Might sound weird but IME it works fine if you use the right wax (very important). Here are some specific examples that worked well for me:

-I`ve used wax (first Malm`s liquid and then Souveran) on most of my XJS`s plastic and even rubber trim since the late `80s.

-I used both 845 and 476S(!) on the exterior rubber and plastic trim of my outside 24/7 Volvo 245 wagon. Looked hideous whenever it needed redone but other than that it worked fine.

-I used the Klasse twins on the exterior plastic trim on my WRX wagon.

-I used 845 on the exterior plastic on my `00 Blazer after first polishing with 1Z Paint Polish. Worked great and that thing`s trim was in pretty poor condition.

-I`m currently using both/either the Klasse twins and/or UPP spray on most of the black/dark gray plastic bits of my `01 S8 and my wife`s `00 A8.

-I`m currently using the UPP spray on the plastic cowling at the base of the Yukon`s windshield.

-I`m currently using 845 on the other black plastic trim on the Yukon.

-I`ve been using the Klasse twins on the `02 MPV`s black plastic trim since new and it`s stayed in great condition (like showroom new).

There have been a few cases where this LSP-based approach didn`t work out:

-the black plastic foglight covers and sideview mirror trim of the XJS (not sure what`s different about it compared to the rest of the plastic trim :confused:)

-very worn black plastic trim on the Audi A8 (e.g., wheelwell liners)

-the black plastic covers on certain wiperarms (forget which at the moment, this is very rare IME)

So *generally* this approach works great as long as the trim in question isn`t really worn down. Two specific instances where I do go the other route:

-On pieces that I *do* use a dressing-based approach (e.g., rear bumper/runningboard treads on the Blazer and Yukon) I use Autoglym Bumper Care.

-On my friend`s `93 Audi the rubber around the sideview mirrors was *horribly* oxidized, and I mean it was really, really awful. I cleaned it up with Griot`s Rubber Prep (super stuff!) and treated it with Ultima`s trim stuff. This worked great and I`d feared that *nothing* would bring that trashed stuff back.

dublifecrisis
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
wow! sounds a lot better than the Gold Class Trim Detailer crap I`ve been stuck with on occasion. that stuff looks great until it gets a little wet then leaves nice vertical streaks everywhere as it runs down.

wascallyrabbit
03-09-2009, 02:09 PM
i`ve been using ultima trim and tire on my wife`s 01 durango`s trim (roof rack/rails, door handles, bumper, cowl in front of windshield) and tires. i`ve been getting pretty good durability and no streaking when it rains. the car is outside in the weather 24/7. apply about once a month or so to keep it looking fresh. haven`t just let it go and see how long it really last on its own.

MIKE GILLEAN
03-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Wish I`d known that before I ordered BW.

MIKE GILLEAN
05-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I asked for opinions on Black Wow on this forum 03-08-09, received several reccomendations. After ordering and applying BW and Black Again on different parts, after 3 weeks both have faded and rain sploched equally. What is not equal is the price. $8 for BA, $25 for BW. It`s not the $$$, its the longetivity. Real Unhappy. M

Accumulator
05-04-2009, 11:50 AM
MIKE GILLEAN- You might want to try my wacky-sounding approach ;) The black plastic trim on my Denali XL was done a *LONG* time ago and it`s still just fine (as is the black plastic trim on the MPV).

The AIO/LSP approach doesn`t work well in *every* case, and different LSPs work better/worse in some cases, but once you get the approach dialed in it`s pretty much maintenance-free for a long, long time (especially with a spritz of FK425 after every wash).

eyezack87
05-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I asked for opinions on Black Wow on this forum 03-08-09, received several reccomendations. After ordering and applying BW and Black Again on different parts, after 3 weeks both have faded and rain sploched equally. What is not equal is the price. $8 for BA, $25 for BW. It`s not the $$$, its the longetivity. Real Unhappy. M

BW needs to be "soaked up" by the plastic trim in order to be most effective. To give you an idea, my 94 Dodge Caravan roof racks took 9 separate applications before it stayed black longer than a couple weeks :2thumbs: