PDA

View Full Version : SIP, What am I doing wrong?

jw
03-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I`m trying to polish my 07 black Porsche 911 and I`m having a hell of a time getting SIP off. I`m using a PC with an orange LC pad. I`m misting the pad with water and i`m only using about a dime size per 2x2 area. I`ve tried working it longer and I`ve tried not working it as long and nothing helps. I`ve also tried using a qd or an alcohold wipe to help remove the polish but it`s still not coming off well. I can`t even get enough of the polish off to see if I`ve got rid of the swirls. Please help?

SuperBee364
03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
JW, SIP can be a royal PITA sometimes. It doesn`t matter if you`re a pro or newb; SIP takes no prisoners.

Some stuff that can help tame SIP:

1. Do a very thorough IPA wipedown of the entire car. Very thorough. Like... REALLY thorough. This will help clean the paint of any residual things... wax, sealant, qd used for claying, etc. SIP doesn`t like *anything* at all on the paint.

2. Use a different pad. Orange LC pads are notorious for making SIP mad. A while back, someone said they even had an orange pad *smoke* when using SIP. I`d recommend either a wool pad or white (or green) LC foam. Wool is soooo much easier to use with SIP than foam. Get the really small Purple Foamed Wool pads to use with your pc. You`ll get much better correction, and SIP plays easier with it.

3. Consider a different polish. Meg`s M105 with the small PFW pads gives you about the best correction you can get with a PC. Lots of correction while finishing down very well.

Hope some of this helps... let us know how it goes.

Lumadar
03-08-2009, 02:36 PM
In addition to what superbee suggested, I would suggest getting a gallon of Meguiar`s Last Touch, and then fill a spray bottle with 50/50 water and LT.

I use this on 100% of my details as a cheap, effective option to :clay lube, remove polish or compound residue, and even to eliminate fresh water spots. It works great for removing M105 (esp the old formula) when it gets caked onto the paint.

imported_weekendwarrior
03-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, first of all black 911 paint on the 997s is very finicky. I would suggest trying something less abraisive than SIP and an orange pad. You might be surprised.

EDIT - as an even cheaper alternative to what Lumadar suggested, I mix an ounce of ONR with 15 or 16 ounces of water in a spray bottle to aid in the removal of compounds / polishes.

P1et
03-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Good input by everyone. Also, remember that in a high-humidity climate, SIP tends to gum up. Extremely annoying, and indeed hard to remove.

Lumadar
03-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, first of all black 911 paint on the 997s is very finicky. I would suggest trying something less abraisive than SIP and an orange pad. You might be surprised.

EDIT - as an even cheaper alternative to what Lumadar suggested, I mix an ounce of ONR with 15 or 16 ounces of water in a spray bottle to aid in the removal of compounds / polishes.

I have a spray bottle with diluted ONR too, but all bias aside, I truly find Last Touch breaks up dried polish and compounds much more easily. It`s likely the oils that I find still on the surface after using the product.

If you have both, try a side by side...I would be interested to see what others decide. :bigups

jw
03-08-2009, 08:30 PM
THanks for the responses everyone. I switched to the 105 which came off much better. I used it with an orange pad, it cleaned up the paint pretty good but didn`t get rid of some scratches. I think I`ll get rid of my SIP since it made me so mad today.

BIOLINK
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
2. Use a different pad. Orange LC pads are notorious for making SIP mad. A while back, someone said they even had an orange pad *smoke* when using SIP. I`d recommend either a wool pad or white (or green) LC foam. Wool is soooo much easier to use with SIP than foam. Get the really small Purple Foamed Wool pads to use with your pc. You`ll get much better correction, and SIP plays easier with it.

Wow! I must have been lucky. I just polished my Jetta using a PC, SIP, and an orange LC pad. I didn`t know better and didn`t think twice. I had no problems. I followed up with 106FF and did an IPA wipe before applying Klasse. My Jetta sure looks great. Maybe it was the dry air in AZ.

:think:

I am however going to take note of these suggestions; these are really great ideas.

:buffing:

Envious Eric
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
i use orange and SIP all the time now too...its a good combo to get some decent defect removal. 105 and orange still takes the cake though...

superbee, I have never gotten good, or even decent results with a PFW 3.5/4" pad on the PC...orange is always better

SuperBee364
03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
i use orange and SIP all the time now too...its a good combo to get some decent defect removal. 105 and orange still takes the cake though...

superbee, I have never gotten good, or even decent results with a PFW 3.5/4" pad on the PC...orange is always better

Apparently, the ability to use orange foam with SIP varies according to the weather (and the position of the Sun and Venus with the Moon`s waxing phase), with humidity and temp being most important.

Also, any residuals on the paint (wax, sealants, qd`s, etc) play an important part, too. The cleaner the paint, the less likely SIP is to say "uh uh" with any pad, really.

I`ve only used SIP with the small PFW pad one time, and I gotta agree, the finish it left sucked. But it did do some decent correction. Small PFW`s and 105 is still my favorite combo on the PC for correction.

Small white foam pads and SIP used to be my favorite one step DA combo, but after hearing what Todd has to say about M205 that might change...