PDA

View Full Version : Only see swirls in sunlight

Boston Man
03-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I can only see my very light swirls on my 2006 Civic in the sun. They dont show up with my halogen work lamp (those yellow ones that everybody has).

How do i correct the swirls?

imported_Jakerooni
03-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Polish it in the sun so you can see it? What color is the paint?

Boston Man
03-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I thought you`re not supposed to work directly under the sun

It`s Galaxy Gray Metallic, which is a brownish color

imported_Jakerooni
03-07-2009, 04:20 PM
This time of year it`s not going to hurt anything working out in the sun. The other option is to put "Daylight" bulbs in your hologens. That might make them show up well. The very long process would be correct a panel.. Pull it out in the sun check it. Pull it back in correct the next panel. etc etc.. Makes for a very long day. Honestly being the middle of winter if you can I would just do it outside if the weather permits.

Accumulator
03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Boston Man- A few ideas from a guy who`s fanatical about "invisible" marring on his silver vehicles:

When doing inspections, turn out any other lights so the shop is dark except for the halogen. If yours is a two-headed one, try using only one of the two at a time.

Move the light *back* and experiment with different illumination and viewing angles and distances.

Try using a bare incandescent lightbulb/work light instead of the halogen for the final inspection (again, in an otherwise dark shop).

FWIW, I consider my halogens *vastly* inferior to my incandescents when it comes to final inspection. Now that I have the how-to pretty well figured out, I see stuff under the incandescents that I don`t usually even see in sunlight.

Or at least do the inspection in the sun, dab a bit of product on any marring you see, and pull it back inside. Then experiment with your lighting until you find some arrangement where you can see the marring, using the dabs of product to give you hints where to look. Don`t use some aggressive compound for that as it`s likely to cause problems after it dries (aggressive stuff, buffed off dry, can be like sandpaper).

uzj100
03-07-2009, 04:51 PM
I can only see my very light swirls on my 2006 Civic in the sun.

Don`t look at it in the sun :lol

Boston Man
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
This time of year it`s not going to hurt anything working out in the sun. The other option is to put "Daylight" bulbs in your hologens. That might make them show up well. The very long process would be correct a panel.. Pull it out in the sun check it. Pull it back in correct the next panel. etc etc.. Makes for a very long day. Honestly being the middle of winter if you can I would just do it outside if the weather permits.

I dont have an "in" to work in lol. I do everything outdoors. I was washing the car today because it was a warm 60 with cloudy skies. Already knowing i have swirls, i just wanted to see if the halogens allowed me to see them. The swirls did not show with the halogens.

My paint looks awesome on cloudy days. But when the sun comes out, and i`m looking at the correct angle, i can see very light swirls.

Do you think higher wattage halogens would work? Or should i be looking at different color temp rather than wattage? I tried my 9 LED flashlight. Still didnt see swirls.

wannafbody
03-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Parking lot lights show defects the best. Detail at the mall:lol

Boston Man
03-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Boston Man- A few ideas from a guy who`s fanatical about "invisible" marring on his silver vehicles:

When doing inspections, turn out any other lights so the shop is dark except for the halogen. If yours is a two-headed one, try using only one of the two at a time.

Move the light *back* and experiment with different illumination and viewing angles and distances.

Try using a bare incandescent lightbulb/work light instead of the halogen for the final inspection (again, in an otherwise dark shop).

FWIW, I consider my halogens *vastly* inferior to my incandescents when it comes to final inspection. Now that I have the how-to pretty well figured out, I see stuff under the incandescents that I don`t usually even see in sunlight.

Or at least do the inspection in the sun, dab a bit of product on any marring you see, and pull it back inside. Then experiment with your lighting until you find some arrangement where you can see the marring, using the dabs of product to give you hints where to look. Don`t use some aggressive compound for that as it`s likely to cause problems after it dries (aggressive stuff, buffed off dry, can be like sandpaper).

I dont have a shop =[

The incandescents sound like a good idea. I got a couple drop lights i can use.

imported_shine
03-07-2009, 06:10 PM
The Brinkmann Xenon light along with some form of LED lighting can be a nice addition. Depending on the color, different light sources can bring out the defects better than others.

Scottwax
03-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Just polish the car outside on a sunny day. That`s what I do.