PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on how to attack Honda SS White paint.

PedroDaGr8
03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I have read SEVERAL threads on here about how everyone hates the paint that I have. I need help and advice on a plan of attack on this paint.

Background:

Honda Tafetta White (04 Honda CR-V) which as I understand is Single Stage

Some scratches caused by the zipped on my laptop bag from where I slipped and fell during the ice storm.

The scratches can be felt with a finger nail but do not catch it. There is also some contamination here and there.

What I have:

I have pinnacle products (as part of the Porter Cable/Pinnacle Kit I purchased). Also, I plan on using Klasse AIO and Sealant Glaze at the end (this SHOULD be done at the end right).

I have orange and white pads (plus one other I can`t remember right now as they are in storage).

I am open to getting some other stuff to attack it. The car has been REALLLY neglected for a while now so it is going to need some TLC.

termigator
03-06-2009, 07:47 PM
My wife has an 07` Taffeta White Accord. It is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A$$ to work on. The paint was already in bad condition when we bought it and I haven been able to do anything with it. Read this article about white paint:

A Lesson From White Paint (http://www.autopia.org/publish/articles/41/1/A-Lesson-From-White-Paint/Page1.html)

It`s both enlightening and depressing.

If the scratches are in just one small area, you could try and hand rub the area with something light Meguiar`s Scratch X 2.0. From what you listed, you`re not going to have anything strong enough. Did your Pinnacle kit have any type of swirl remover? You could always try that first. Remember to always go light at first and get progressively more aggressive. The Klasse stuff won`t do anything for you. The AIO just cleans and add protection while SG adds additional protection. Good luck!

PedroDaGr8
03-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I read that. Very disheartening. I Love how my white paint goes with the black trim, unfortunately, it seems like it is going to be some work. I have found several other scratches that appear to be from other people in the parking lot. GRRR!!!! This is gonna be a fun time.

Anyone else have any experience or advice on working with hard SS paint?

Scottwax
03-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Meguiars 80 series polishes are your best bet. They were formulated when there were still a lot of single stage paints. #83 and #80 is where I`d start.

PedroDaGr8
03-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Sweet, thanks SOOO much for the advice Scott. HOw about foam pads, what do you recommend (colors and types). I know I have white and orange (and I want to say yellow but I am not for certain).

imported_sal329
03-07-2009, 08:03 PM
4" LC pads, white, green, black, clay, Meguiars 83 and 80, then Duragloss 501

imported_Ivan Rajic
03-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Your 04 Honda has single stage paint?! Weird.

As Scott said though, Meg`s is amazing on ss paints... I just did a detail today, 1-step polish on an old M3 with white paint... I used #80 with a 9006 finishing pad on the Makita rotary and it`s coming out nearly perfect

termigator
03-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Your 04 Honda has single stage paint?! Weird.

As Scott said though, Meg`s is amazing on ss paints... I just did a detail today, 1-step polish on an old M3 with white paint... I used #80 with a 9006 finishing pad on the Makita rotary and it`s coming out nearly perfect

Only if the paints are San Marino Red or Taffeta White. Don`t know why, but they`re SS.

PedroDaGr8
03-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Awesome, that is SOOO good to know, lecchilo. Yep they have two different whites. Taffeta White = SS, Challenger White = Clear Coat. Honestly, I couldn`t tell that I didn`t have a clear coat until reading on here. It isn`t like the SS paint isn`t super shiny. The downside seems to be it gets dirty/stained sometimes.

Sal, is the 501 the marine/RV polish, please forgive me for being a noob but could you explain why did you choose this? (I am very curious).

Eisen Hulk
03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Pedro,

You know you can yell at me if you need some products or help. I have Megs #80 & #83. I also have the DG 501. I`ll let you borrow those if you want. If you want to actually purchase them, you can get them at the CarQuest at the corner of Versailles and Parkers Mill. Call me if you need anything.

imported_sal329
03-08-2009, 02:09 PM
DG 501 is the Marine line yes. It is an awesome cleaner and has great protection as well.

PedroDaGr8
03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Pedro,

You know you can yell at me if you need some products or help. I have Megs #80 & #83. I also have the DG 501. I`ll let you borrow those if you want. If you want to actually purchase them, you can get them at the CarQuest at the corner of Versailles and Parkers Mill. Call me if you need anything.

Hey Casey, thank you soo much for the offer. :thx If you don`t mind I think I will try them out. If they work like everyone seems to think they will, definitely going to buy them. As usual thank you for your kindness, once the pads I have ordered come in, I`ll hit ya up for some help for sure.

Sal, thanks for the clarification. Still trying to get my bearings in detailing. When it comes to computers and hid retrofits, I am quite knowledgeable, detailing I`m very much the neophyte.

Eisen Hulk
03-09-2009, 06:39 AM
No problem.

Just give me a call.

Hey Casey, thank you soo much for the offer. :thx If you don`t mind I think I will try them out. If they work like everyone seems to think they will, definitely going to buy them. As usual thank you for your kindness, once the pads I have ordered come in, I`ll hit ya up for some help for sure.

Sal, thanks for the clarification. Still trying to get my bearings in detailing. When it comes to computers and hid retrofits, I am quite knowledgeable, detailing I`m very much the neophyte.