PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Floor Mats

Pages : [1] 2

Yamaha0219
03-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Does anyone dress rubber wet mats? Mine are knid of loosing their color, but they look good when they get wet. Not sure what to use on them to richen the color but not be real greasy. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

imported_Luster
03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I have rubber "winter" floor mats in all my cars. I actually run them all year long, because I think they look good.....

Every week, I spray them with a water/APC mixture, scrub with a carpet brush, rinse, dry, spray with Tire Foam, brush with a soft brush, let dry 5 minutes and done.

Not greasy after the Tire foam soaks in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/Wheelwells/floormats004.jpg

Street5927
03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I have rubber "winter" floor mats in all my cars. I actually run them all year long, because I think they look good.....

Every week, I spray them with a water/APC mixture, scrub with a carpet brush, rinse, dry, spray with Tire Foam, brush with a soft brush, let dry 5 minutes and done.

Not greasy after the Tire foam soaks in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/Wheelwells/floormats004.jpg

Don`t they get slippery when wet with the Tire Foam?

imported_Luster
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Don`t they get slippery when wet with the Tire Foam?

I never really noticed that they were slick when wet. It does soak in pretty well. I don`t really SATURATE them with Tire Foam... just lightly mist and work it in with a brush... dry in 5-10 minutes.

imported_Luster
03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
One additional note.... I used to use some high quality rubber/vinyl dressings on the mats... they worked well, BUT... it just got too expensive. Especially since I do this every week... sometimes more in wet/sloppy conditions.

salty
03-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Clean them well, rinse with water and mist them with a VP such as AA or 303 (mixed 50/50 with water if you want to dilute it. Let them hang dry and if the are slippery wipe off excess with a MF.

imported_Luster
03-06-2009, 06:16 AM
... if the are slippery wipe off excess with a MF.

:xyxthumbs:xyxthumbs:xyxthumbs

zaxjax
03-06-2009, 09:08 AM
303 is your best bet to dress rubber, it does not leave a greasy or slippery residue and leaves a nice finish

Altered-Image
03-06-2009, 06:51 PM
i use tire foam as well....works great and is not slippery like some dressings.

I actually use Wesley`s Bleeche Wite on my mats.....really takes care of the discoloration. I just wash them whenever i wash my truck.

imported_Luster
03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I actually use Wesley`s Bleeche Wite on my mats.....really takes care of the discoloration. I just wash them whenever i wash my truck.

Good plan! I never thought of Wesley`s! I have a brand new bottle that I use on white letter tires....

Thanks for the tip!:xyxthumbs

DaGonz
03-06-2009, 08:23 PM
After cleaning my rubber mats, I allow them to dry, then spray them with Stoner`s Trim Shine.

imported_Luster
03-07-2009, 07:24 AM
After cleaning my rubber mats, I allow them to dry, then spray them with Stoner`s Trim Shine.

Trim Shine is a good product. If you buy it by the case directly from Stoner`s website, it`s only a little over $3 per can!

Accumulator
03-07-2009, 01:31 PM
I clean my rubber mats with rubber cleaner. Better rubber cleaners (like the maybe-too-gentle and oh-so-pricey) Griot`s seem to "exfoliate" the rubber just enough to make the mats look OK without dressing... well, most of the time :o

Whitewall cleaners (which I can get *really* cheap from the autobody/paint supply store) clean better, but don`t leave the mats looking as nice. Wonder what the supposed difference *is* between "rubber cleaners" and "whitewall cleaners", I mean...come on... :think:

Gotta admit that I don`t ever dress mine. Yeah, they could use it looks-wise but I simply won`t risk them getting slick when they`re wet. Maybe I`m being overly cautious but, eh...they`re the rubber mats :nixweiss

Spilchy
03-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I only have rubber mats in my car. I am not a carpet guy at all.

I use a brush meant for body panels dipped in the car wash solution at the end of a wash. They`re a bit softer than wheel brushes and clean the dirt and salt well. The mats are left clean and a bit dull but I do not dress them. I would expect that accumulated dressing would make them gummy and retain dirt, dust, etc... because of the stickiness factor. Sort of like tires with old dressing. From your experiences I should try it since my concerns don`t seem to be a reality. I`m with Accumulator too; I`d be a bit cautious of the slippery tendencies. Knowing me I`d get it on my soles and then slip off the brake pedal!

Accumulator
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
It occurs to me that part of my paranoia about the slipperiness might come from training I`ve done in cars with rubber flooring :think: Even without dressing, once the rubber gets wet things can get a bit slick, and those flooring materials are *made* to resist that. People don`t worry about such stuff and all is fine for years (or forever) until some unforeseen circumstances arise and everything changes for a few crucial seconds.