PDA

View Full Version : New Convertible Top Dressing or not??

kustomsol
03-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Opinions please.

I am replacing my original (purchased new) 1991 Buick Reatta`s (100k ) dirty white and worn out vinyl top (glass rear window) with a tan Haartz cloth one within the next 2 weeks. I have received mixed advice regarding the need to use any sort of protectant on the top. So I thought I`d ask the experts here.

This daily driver car is garaged when not in use and 80% of the time the top is retracted. I am in N.C. where the "convertible top down season" is at least 7-8 months a year.

Would there be any advantage to use Raggtopp protectant and cleaner?

One group of "experts" says to keep it well cleaned and let it dry before putting it down.

Another group of "Experts" suggests the use of "Raggtop" cleaner and protectant applied 2 - 4 times a year.

From my meager research, the primary use of such dressings seems to be a way to "enhance" the revenue of dealerships and professional detailers with a questionable service.

After all, the old vinyl top lasted 18 years with reasonable care and regular cleaning. And I`ve still got the 2 original (dirty) vinyl tops for my 1977 Excalibur (purchased new) in good shape with no super special care.

Comments, suggestions, recommendations, and recommentations, please.

Thanks, y`all.

Street5927
03-05-2009, 08:19 AM
I only clean mine when it is dirty. As far as cleaning, I use Wolfgang Raggtopp vinyl/fabric cleaner for my fabric soft top. I have heard that it is the only one that is approved for use with fabric by the Haartz company. So far, I have not had any issues with it.

I also, do not retract it until it is completely dry, just to prevent any mildew/odor from occurring.

kustomsol
03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
DO you then apply any Raggtopp Fabric Protectant??

Street5927
03-05-2009, 03:55 PM
DO you then apply any Raggtopp Fabric Protectant??

Yes, Wolfgang also has an aerosol spray protectant to put on the fabric to make it bead nicely.

i12flytoday
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
HRP - I live in Charlotte and drive a crossfire roadster with a top made from the same fabric, except my top is black. I use the Raggtop kit (cleaner / protectant) and it is EXCELENT. Especially in the winter, and days like today (40F on my way to work today) when the top is up a lot. When I first got the car I didn`t do anything but wash the top. Of course, some dirt got into the fabric and no matter how much I washed it, it wouldn`t come out. Car soap just isn`t made for fabric. I used the Raggtop cleaner with a softer nylon brush made for leather seats. After two applications, the top was like brand new again. After the protectant was put on, the top stayed that deep black wet look and is much easier to clean. I use the kit in the spring and fall and have had great luck with it for a year now.