PDA

View Full Version : ****My Mini Poli-Seal Plan Of Attack Detail This Novice Doing The Right Thing?****

M3_POWER
03-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Well I plan on doing a mini detail on my 05 Carbon Black BMW M3 tomorrow and was wondering if this plan of attack sounds alright. I had some basic questions regarding poli-seal.... I plan on using a green propel cutting pad for mild marring and water spot removal... How much should I use exactly and how long should I work it on? I was thinking about starting off with an X then 3-4 pea size globs afterwards with a PC on speed 5.... Should I prime the pad before hand with quick detailer? How long should I work it in for? Would it be a good idea to use EX-p after the poli-seal? Any other tips would be appreciated... Here is my full plan....

Blue magic clay

Poli seal with a green propel pad using PC speed 5

PB EX-P (may or may not do this)

Natty`s Blue

getcha
03-04-2009, 08:06 PM
That sounds perfect. Though I would definitely use EXP and they put the nattys in a `maybe`

M3_POWER
03-04-2009, 08:10 PM
That sounds perfect. Though I would definitely use EXP and they put the nattys in a `maybe`

why wouldn`t you want to use nattys for a LSP? I thought OPS was a AIO and sealant... I thought it would be a good idea to throw on a layer of nattys blue for added gloss, depth and wetness...

getcha
03-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh no no I thought you meant you were only going to use 1 of the 2(either nattys or EXP) in which case I personally would`ve gone with EXP as it lasts longer than nattys plus a more protection plus is really wet looking too. I took your "maybe" as a might not. OPS is a AIO with some decent durability for an AIO. If you can, you may as well just go PS->EXP and top that with nattys. That way you have a good protection base and then the nice looks of nattys. Just my 2 cents.

Poliseal will start to gum up your pads a bit, so after you prime it, and with Poliseal I prime what I call "lightly" as in just a tad more than a working amount, just remember to keep an eye on accumulation and clean off the excess. As far as working it, as you asked before, I work it for about 6 passes or so(its really hard to see) going just fast enough so that when you look behind the pad as you move there is about a 1 inch trail of haze that instantly flashes off.

Its gonna look great regardless, carbon black is a great color. Get some pics up!

M3_POWER
03-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Oh no no I thought you meant you were only going to use 1 of the 2(either nattys or EXP) in which case I personally would`ve gone with EXP as it lasts longer than nattys plus a more protection plus is really wet looking too. I took your "maybe" as a might not. OPS is a AIO with some decent durability for an AIO. If you can, you may as well just go PS->EXP and top that with nattys. That way you have a good protection base and then the nice looks of nattys. Just my 2 cents.

Poliseal will start to gum up your pads a bit, so after you prime it, and with Poliseal I prime what I call "lightly" as in just a tad more than a working amount, just remember to keep an eye on accumulation and clean off the excess. As far as working it, as you asked before, I work it for about 6 passes or so(its really hard to see) going just fast enough so that when you look behind the pad as you move there is about a 1 inch trail of haze that instantly flashes off.

Its gonna look great regardless, carbon black is a great color. Get some pics up!

Thanks a lot I appreciate it.... How much do you use exactly when you prime and then for each panel after? Also how do you clean you pads when they get gunked up? I don`t have a brush but I read that some people spray the pad with a little bit of QD and take a MF to clean it.... Not sure if that is that will clean the pad enough... I will definitely post pics... Thanks again!

I will go OPS, EXP than nattys blue...

Any tips for applying EXP? Not sure whether to apply it by hand or pc. If I go with the PC route, I will use a black propel pad...

getcha
03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I probably use 5-6 dots the first 2 times then each hit after that gets maybe 3- 4 dots, youll learn fast how much to you need. The very first time I used it, the 1st 1 or 2 sections I used a bit too much, just go ahead and youll learn to lighten up on product in the event you used too much. As far as priming otherwise, I just use distilled water, couple mists from a little finger pumper is good. You can use QD too, its just to get working with a touch of moisture instead of a hard dry pad

For pad cleaning I use both an MF towel with it(it works) and sometimes with products other than poliseal, I will use a stiff bristled tooth brush(never used for teeth of course) and then a MF towel. Moisture may help here if the product is drying in the pad, but too much on the pad when youre cleaning may goof up polishing making it act funny so keep that in mind.

For applying EXP, try both ways, maybe on the trunk do like half by hand with a foam or MF pad, and then do half with the pc with a black/blue/red like you said. I use both methods still. Some people have said EXP is hard to get off if you put it on thick. I personally have tried it thin and thick, and removal was easy regardless. Just apply thinly like you normally would.

I gotta ask you though, where are you getting your propel pads from still. I love those

M3_POWER
03-04-2009, 10:24 PM
I probably use 5-6 dots the first 2 times then each hit after that gets maybe 3- 4 dots, youll learn fast how much to you need. The very first time I used it, the 1st 1 or 2 sections I used a bit too much, just go ahead and youll learn to lighten up on product in the event you used too much. As far as priming otherwise, I just use distilled water, couple mists from a little finger pumper is good. You can use QD too, its just to get working with a touch of moisture instead of a hard dry pad

For pad cleaning I use both an MF towel with it(it works) and sometimes with products other than poliseal, I will use a stiff bristled tooth brush(never used for teeth of course) and then a MF towel. Moisture may help here if the product is drying in the pad, but too much on the pad when youre cleaning may goof up polishing making it act funny so keep that in mind.

For applying EXP, try both ways, maybe on the trunk do like half by hand with a foam or MF pad, and then do half with the pc with a black/blue/red like you said. I use both methods still. Some people have said EXP is hard to get off if you put it on thick. I personally have tried it thin and thick, and removal was easy regardless. Just apply thinly like you normally would.

I gotta ask you though, where are you getting your propel pads from still. I love those

So you think just using a MF towel to clean the pad will suffice since I dont have a brush? As far as the propel pads, I bought them a while back (few years ago).

M3_POWER
03-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Update....

Spent 5 hours today detailing the M and so far I`m pleased with the results... I washed the car, clayed it, then polished using OPS... Unfortunately my car is parked outside for my duration through flight school.... I couldn`t believe how much crap come off my car and onto the clay.... I then polished the car with OPS and was very pleased.... The car looked super wet and was super slick to the touch.... I will check the results tomorrow when I can check the paint under direct sunlight (was polishing during sunset).... Saturday I will finish the detail by adding EX-P and nattys blue..... Will post pics soon...