PDA

View Full Version : I`m out of lube!

Leyland
10-14-2005, 12:52 AM
So I have this huge job that I have to tackle this weekend and I find that I`m out of clay lube. This beast is going to need clay in a bad way. It is a stretched black hummer and I doubt it has ever seen protection. Something that big doesn`t usually fit in a garage I guess because this thing is rough as rough can be. I don`t want to waste money on store bought clay lube, so what should I use? Would soapy water do the trick or do I need something else? I think I`m in over my head on this one and will probably take it in the behind since I estimated way too low of a price. I told the guy I`d do the job for $180 and I think I`ve got a good 5 hours of work ahead of me in order to satisfy the customer. He expects a hummer as smooth as smooth can be and that is what I promised.

I plan to clay it and then polish it with SSR2 and then SSR1. It isn`t really that swirled surprisingly enough. I don`t know who has been washing this thing, but they`ve done a good job at not messing it up too bad. After the SSRs I`m not sure what to wax or seal it with. Suggestions in that area would be good too. I`m in a good location in Florida and can get just about any car care products I need. Fortunately I work nights, so I always have time to get around during the day.

So to sum up....

1 black stretched hummer
needs clay and I`m out of lube
SSR2 and SSR1 for oxidation and some minor swirls
what to use after the SSRs

Thanks for the help!

travisdecpn
10-14-2005, 12:58 AM
You can use wash soap and water as your lube. Your other option would be to go out and buy Meg`s Quick Detailer (Pep Boys is having a sale right now 2 for $4).

Leyland
10-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Would soapy water be gentle enough? I don`t want the paint to get damaged by using a lube that wasn`t slick enough while I went at it with my clay bar. I`m just concerned that the soap will just sink to the bottom and I`ll end up using water. Water isn`t the slipperiest stuff when used as lube for anything, believe you me.

I`ve never used the Meguiar`s QD as clay lube. The price is right, so I might have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

travisdecpn
10-14-2005, 01:11 AM
If you are worried about the soap/water mix, definitely look into the Meg`s QD, it`s what I use for clay lube. I`m not really one to use the soap/water mix either, but many do and when in a jam it gets the job done. You just need to make sure that the surface stays wet so you don`t cause any marring.

Leyland
10-14-2005, 01:17 AM
has anyone used that Eagle One Bucketless Wash as a clay lube? It is really thin stuff and it would probably dilute in water way better than normal car wash soap. I bought a bottle of this stuff because there was a label on it that basically gave you a rebate for the purchase price, so I figured what the hell? It isn`t something I would use on a very dirty car, but on a dusty car it does a nice job. Spray the car down with the stuff and then hit it with a sprayer and watch it foam. Just keep spraying till you end up rinsing it off and viola. clean car.

Brenton
10-14-2005, 04:52 AM
I`ve been able to dilute most QD about 50/50 as a clay lube. If you are using fine clay, 50/50 QD or soapy water will work. We use soapy water when we don`t want any silicone, waxes, or synthetics on the car.

Totoland Mach
10-14-2005, 07:43 AM
I haven`t used a QD lube in quite a while. I ended up with excellent results using Adams Car Wash or Meg`s NXT car wash as the lube.

Works great and the process is faster.

Totoland Mach

3Dog
10-14-2005, 08:11 AM
I use the wash and clay method as my norm. I have never had any problems from it. Do a section with wash pad, rinse, appply soap again with pad, clay, rinse. Works well with Dawn also.

Jngrbrdman
10-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I`ve used that bucketless wash as a clay lube. It is pretty good, but you just want to make sure you don`t use too much or else it is too slippery and the clay won`t contact the paint very well. I can`t tell you how much I used because I didn`t measure it. I filled an empty bottle of Spray n Wipe with water half full and the sprayed the bucketless wash into it. I probably gave it 8 or 10 sprays. It seems to do the trick. I haven`t had to buy clay lube for quite awhile. Prior to this I was using Four Star Spray Wax as my clay lube. I found that to be an excellent product for that purpose.

West6MT
10-18-2005, 10:01 PM
So if I want to use soap and water as lube for claying,........how does this work. I wash an area with soap and water (like normally washing the car),......rinse,....then get it soapy again and clay it,.......then rinse again and im done?

Thanks,
Steve

Jngrbrdman
10-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Sort of. You wash, rinse, dry. I leave a little rinse water on the surface to help with the claying, but not much. Then I mix the Eagle One Bucketless Wash and water together in a spray bottle. I use it just like you would use any QD to clay your car. After I am done I wash the car and dry it properly so I can either start with the polishing or the waxing.

West6MT
10-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Sort of. You wash, rinse, dry. I leave a little rinse water on the surface to help with the claying, but not much. Then I mix the Eagle One Bucketless Wash and water together in a spray bottle. I use it just like you would use any QD to clay your car. After I am done I wash the car and dry it properly so I can either start with the polishing or the waxing.

Thanks for the tip,......what is the ratio of water to Eagle One bucketless wash? 50/50? I think I am going to use this same method.

Steve

Jngrbrdman
10-19-2005, 12:03 AM
I don`t know the ratio. I just sprayed some in there. It is way more water than soap. You just need enough to make it slick. Fill a bottle half full of water and give it a couple shots of the wash stuff and see how it works out. If it isn`t slick enough then spray some more. it is a hit and miss kind of thing.

West6MT
10-19-2005, 12:08 AM
I don`t know the ratio. I just sprayed some in there. It is way more water than soap. You just need enough to make it slick. Fill a bottle half full of water and give it a couple shots of the wash stuff and see how it works out. If it isn`t slick enough then spray some more. it is a hit and miss kind of thing.

Awesome, thanks so much for the help.

Jngrbrdman
10-19-2005, 12:18 AM
No problemo. It`s what I do. :) I`m always happy to help.