PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start with these wheels?

Dane Guy
03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Sorry, no pictures yet but I will put some up tonight.

These are wheels from a BMW and they have several years of brake dust and tar on them. I don`t think they`ve ever been really cleaned so the stuff is probably baked on.

I hit them with some Armor All Triple Action and that just removed some surface dust. They`re still pretty bad.

Is acid the way to go?

Thanks!

Street5927
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Did you try clay bar?

Dane Guy
03-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I`m not sure I could get a clay bar in between all the spokes. I hate spokes!!

Here`s the type of wheel I`m talking about:

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9908/ms94sm.jpg (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ms94sm.jpg)

DM101
03-03-2009, 11:59 AM
How about a APC cleaner? Let it soak a couple of minutes. If that does not work your going to have to use a agressive polish on them. Good Luck

imported_Luster
03-03-2009, 12:08 PM
TARMINATOR.

Spray, soak, scrub, repeat.

Works very well on both brake dust and tar.

If the brake dust has etched itself into the paint.... :scared::scared::scared: ... it`s too late (you`ll still be able to get them "fairly" clean, but the etched holes with still be there.)

JohnZ3MC
03-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I`ve had really good success with Brown Royal wheel cleaner on nasty winter wheels. It`s non acidic so my spleen is still working well. (Manufacturers and Distributors Of Professional Auto Detailing Products and Car Wash Cleaning Chemicals (http://www.flashwax.com))

If there`s anything left, you could always try an acidic product like Megs Wheel Brightener as a final solution (with all the precautions taken of course)

-John C.

Street5927
03-03-2009, 12:18 PM
TARMINATOR.

If the brake dust has etched itself into the paint.... :scared::scared::scared: ... it`s too late (you`ll still be able to get them "fairly" clean, but the etched holes with still be there.)

I wasn`t even thinking about the Tarminator. I love this stuff....always keep a case on hand!

Dane Guy
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
TARMINATOR.

How does that compare with something like Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener?

imported_Luster
03-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I wasn`t even thinking about the Tarminator. I love this stuff....always keep a case on hand!

The first thing I look for on a customer`s car is TAR!

I`ve learned a couple valuable lessons by giving someone a quote and then got stuck cleaning tar for 3 hours before I ever started my detail!!!!:nono

(Never again:nomore:... now I charge by the hour!!! ) :LOLOL

imported_Luster
03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
How does that compare with something like Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener?

As someone stated (above), Meg`s Wheel Brightner is acid-based...

It actually etches the clearcoat on the wheels, removes dirt, etc.

What I`m saying is that TARMINATOR will remove the brake dust and the tar without any acid... Tarminator is solvent-based.... therefore no harm done.

Street5927
03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Not to get off topic, but a local body shop uses Kerosene to remove bugs/tar....I am surprised it doesn`t hurt the finish...or could it?

Dane Guy
03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
As someone stated (above), Meg`s Wheel Brightner is acid-based...

It actually etches the clearcoat on the wheels, removes dirt, etc.

What I`m saying is that TARMINATOR will remove the brake dust and the tar without any acid... Tarminator is solvent-based.... therefore no harm done.

Thanks, I`ll see if I can get my hands on some before Friday when it will be 60 degrees!

imported_Luster
03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
One other thought about Acid-Based Wheel Cleaners!... (Just my opinion)...

They can be hazardous to your health.

Years ago I had a car with wire wheel hubcaps. I used an acid based cleaner on them...... with a number of results:

It didn`t work very well, so I had to scrub them anyway

I used a scrub brush (bare-handed)

A week or so after use, I would notice that my fingernails were dis-figured (bumps & pits)

If you ever spray that stuff on a windy day... take a big GULP of it... you`ll wish you hadn`t!!!

I have stopped using it and I have very nice nails now.

P.S. GULP too much of that stuff, you`re goin` to the hospital.

imported_Luster
03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks, I`ll see if I can get my hands on some before Friday when it will be 60 degrees!

60 would be nice for Pittsburgh!

It was 8* here in KC yesterday morning... The high Thursday is supposed to be near 70!!!:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle: We just love it here in the "West-Mid-West" :bounce

Just a few more weeks til we`re in prime detailing season!!!!:waxing::waxing::waxing::chuckle: