PDA

View Full Version : Layer what over UPP on Metallic Silver (Caddy SRX)

imported_dragula
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
First off, my mother has had this SRX since 06 (an 07 model), and she washes it with whatever rag or brush:scared:

To my surprise, very few swirls under the halogens...Props to uber-hard GM clear.

Hit it with 4* SMR/burgandy pad via PC; Probably should have started a bit more aggressive, but it removed 80% of the few swirls there was to begin with.

ANYWHO: So far I`ve got UPP on half the car (50/50`d the hood), and GOOD LAWWD does it make the metallic pop (looks like the UPP side has 3x the amount of metallic in the paint. With that said, it suppresses the depth of the reflection, but not in a necessarily bad way.

I was wondering if laying a Carnauba over the UPP would enhance depth while keeping the amazing metallic-enhancement of the UPP?

Any other tips for this type of silver is much appreciated.

Matt

Krisek
03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi,

Could you please tell me what UPP stands for ?

Thank You

( In Acronym Database there are 2 products )

imported_mobenzowner
03-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I think UPP looks great on Metallic Silver and in my humble opinion, anything else applied on top would help little and most likely detract from the appearance. The lone exception to this for me is pinnacle sig II. Sig II is still one of my favotites on lite metallic paints.

imported_dragula
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
UPP= Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection.

I live about a mile from the manufacturing facility (they also make Ultima), so, well, THAT JUST KICKS A$S!!!

imported_etml12
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
+1 for what mobenzowner said.

imported_dragula
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Do you notice a worthwhile difference when layering the UPP?

imported_mobenzowner
03-03-2009, 12:54 PM
You might gain a little with a second coat of UPP, but my eyes certainly couldnt detect anything other than a nuance of difference. That being said, I am a two coat guy for coverage and perhaps a little more durability, although the durability point is sometimes debated.

Accumulator
03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I use UPP on my silver Audi and I too think that you should *NOT* top it.

I don`t find any real benefit to layering it as the slickness drops off pretty fast anyhow and as a result I end up refreshing it just to regain that slick feeling. Two coats gives sure coverage, three might make me feel better but is probably a waste of time/effort/product. Two applications is plenty, beyond that I just use UGE (or even just FK425) after the wash and maybe the UPP spray every now and then.

steelwind101
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
First off, my mother has had this SRX since 06 (an 07 model), and she washes it with whatever rag or brush:scared:

To my surprise, very few swirls under the halogens...Props to uber-hard GM clear.

Hit it with 4* SMR/burgandy pad via PC; Probably should have started a bit more aggressive, but it removed 80% of the few swirls there was to begin with.

ANYWHO: So far I`ve got UPP on half the car (50/50`d the hood), and GOOD LAWWD does it make the metallic pop (looks like the UPP side has 3x the amount of metallic in the paint. With that said, it suppresses the depth of the reflection, but not in a necessarily bad way.

I was wondering if laying a Carnauba over the UPP would enhance depth while keeping the amazing metallic-enhancement of the UPP?

Any other tips for this type of silver is much appreciated.

Matt

HI!

Ok, i have 4 Star SMR and people said NOT to use it on the burgandy pad from Meguiars, to abbrasive they said (previously i had a cyclo) now i have Meguiars G200 series.

Just to confirm, the pad you are using the Meguiars one know as FOAM CUTTING PAD? Not polishing?

As for UPP, dont top! The great thing about it is how special it looks, it isnt bland its unique, stick it! If you have newest Polycharged version then it will last and last!

Geoff

imported_dragula
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Yep, I told them at the counter I was using the Megs burgundy foam cutting pad, they (at the counter) said that pad was suitable.

Probably just a miscommunication somewhere along the line... They are very nice and helpful folks there!!!

I actually saw your previous post about the burg/smr, Steelwind, during a search here on Autopia.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I use UPP on my silver Audi and I too think that you should *NOT* top it.

I don`t find any real benefit to layering it as the slickness drops off pretty fast anyhow and as a result I end up refreshing it just to regain that slick feeling. Two coats gives sure coverage, three might make me feel better but is probably a waste of time/effort/product. Two applications is plenty, beyond that I just use UGE (or even just FK425) after the wash and maybe the UPP spray every now and then.

Exactly my feelings, UPP is great on its own, dont detract from it with something else......An occasional spray wax (monthly) and some ID&GE are my go too`s to keep the original slickness from falling off to anything noticeable. Ive been using UPP for years now and have yet to find something so satisfying.....

blucpe
03-04-2009, 10:32 AM
whilest there`s a no. of possible waxes you could top it with and all of them very good, i just recently used ocw on my car, not silver metallic but electron blu, and i must say the shin e is very deep, especially if you`re looking for that. i applyed 3 coats and i could`nt be more satisfied. if you have some give it a try i don`t think you`d be dissapointed.

steelwind101
03-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Yep, I told them at the counter I was using the Megs burgundy foam cutting pad, they (at the counter) said that pad was suitable.

Probably just a miscommunication somewhere along the line... They are very nice and helpful folks there!!!

I actually saw your previous post about the burg/smr, Steelwind, during a search here on Autopia.

Oh ok thanks! I will give it a go on my bumper this weekend and see how it works out!

Thanks

Geoff

steelwind101
03-06-2009, 04:32 PM
HI!

I tried it to day with the Burg pad. Much much more cut and it finished out perfectly! All im left with is a few deeper scratches to deal with later in one or two areas.

4 Star SMR is a real sleeper product!

Geoff