PDA

View Full Version : 6.5inch rotary BP, which one?

dsms
02-27-2009, 07:02 PM
As far as I know there is only 1 6.5inch rotary BP and its made by Meguiars. I need a larger BP so I can use the new 7inch Kompressor pads more comfortably.

As of now, my my 5inch 3M BP is too small to easily center on the Kompressor pads, also there is a lot of over hang which I dont like when polishing. I also have the 6inch yellow hook and loop but IMO thats no good either for the 7inch kompressor pads.

Any other BP`s you can think of that are 6.5inches? Or one that would work expectionally well with the new Kompressor and Megs Soft Buff 2.0 pads?

Thanks

imported_MadOzodi
02-27-2009, 08:20 PM
What about trying the Meg`s SOLO BP? I know it`s only 5.75" but that`s the BP that`s the BP Meg`s offers in conjunction with the Soft Buff 2.0 pads. How do you like the 7" Kompressor pads so far if u don`t mind my asking?

BigJimZ28
02-27-2009, 08:22 PM
"Recessed Back - Lake Country really put some thought into this new Kompressor pad design. Each pad has a recessed back that fits perfectly around a 6" backing plate. This design keeps the edges of your backing plate safely away from the suface being worked on as well as surrounding areas. These are hook and loop fastened pads designed for use with any 6" hook & loop backing plate"

are you sure the 6" is no good?

Barry Theal
02-27-2009, 08:39 PM
dave not sure if this is what your looking for but here is a 7 inch!!!! this backing plate is top notch!!!!http://http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3m450-8.aspx

Barry Theal
02-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Dave after do some more research for ya i found this info on properautocare.com here is all about the Kompressor pads and at the bottom i put in red the info on the backing plate you need { from this sites suggestion }

good luck lol just scroll down lol

Lake Country Kompressor,

7 inch Polishing Foam Pads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 inch, Kompressorâ„¢ Foam Pads

Hats off to Lake Country Manufacturing. While other foam pad manufacturers struggle to keep their doors open, Lake Country has managed to pull another rabbit out of their magic hat. Just introduced at Automechanika in Frankfurt, Germany, the company`s new Kompressor foam pads are being hailed as the most technologically advanced polishing pads in the world.

Kompressor - the next generation in foam pad technology

Two years ago, Lake Country Mfg. blitzkrieged the foam pad market when they introduced CCS Technology. Now they have raised the bar again with a revolutionary, patent pending, pad technology.

Each Kompressor pad starts as a block of foam that is contour cut on the top and bottom into a semi-arched shape. The pad face is then slotted in two directions while the foam is in this non-compressed, arched state.

Close-up of pad surface.

A recessed opening is cut into the back of the pad to precisely center the backing plate. When attached to the backing plate, the pad flattens out, compressing the top surface and creating a dense working face ("Sweet Spot").

Advantages of Kompressor pads

The advantages of Kompressor pads will be immediately evident to everyone from the first-time user to the seasoned professional. These advantages are:

Slotted face constantly adjusts to surface contours

Extended pad life

Pad remains wetter, longer

Recessed back centers backing plate and prevents marring the finish

Perfect for newer, scratch-resistant clear coats

Larger "Sweet Spot" increases cutting speed

Less splatter

More usable surface area

Smoothest running pad ever

"Like floating on a cloud"

Pads are easy to clean

Here`s a guide to help you select the correct pad for your needs:

7 inch, Kompressor, Purple, Compounding Pad - This is the most aggressive foam pad in the industry. In cutting power, it falls mid-way between yellow foam and wool pads yet it finishes like the orange and white foams.

Use this pad with compounds like Menzerna Intensive Polish to remove deeper scratches and severe oxidation that does not come out with the white pad.

Use this Purple Pad with caution. Compounding can dull the surface (called compounding haze) which will require additional finish polishing to remove. This purple foam pad is safe for use on clear coats especially when used with a dual-action polisher.

7 inch, Kompressor, White, Polishing Pad - The most often used pad. This pad has a mild cutting (cleaning) action and should be used to apply light compounds, polishes and one-step, cleaner/waxes. Use this Hi-Gloss White, Kompressor Pad with BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish or Menzerna Final Polish II to maximize surface gloss.

This pad also works for applying one-step, polish/sealants like Klasse All-In-One and Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

Do not use the same pad for applying different products. If applying a polish and a cleaner/wax, use one pad to apply the polish and a separate pad to apply the cleaner/wax.

Note: Polishing pads can "cake-up" with residues reducing their effectiveness. If you don`t want to stop in the middle of polishing to clean pads, plan on using 2 or 3 pads to polish the average car. Don`t let polish residues dry in the pad. When you remove a dirty pad from your machine, immediately place it in a bucket of soapy (car wash shampoo) water or use a pad cleaner such as Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder.

7 inch, Kompressor, Black, Glazing/Finessing Pad - This pad has very gentle cutting or cleaning action. It should be used to apply a glaze or a finessing polish.

Use this Hi-Gloss Black Glazing Pad to apply Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, and Meguiar`s No. 7 Show Car Glaze. You can also use this pad to apply Meguiar`s No. 3 Machine Polish and 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish.

7 inch, Kompressor, Red, Glazing/Finessing/Finishing Pad - This pad has almost no cutting or cleaning action but is a softer foam than the black pad. It should be used to apply a glaze or a finessing polish. Some detailers and body shops use both a machine polish and a glaze. Having two colors of glazing pads allows them to dedicate a specific color pad for a specific product to avoid cross contamination.

7 inch, Kompressor, Gold, Concours Finishing Pad - This super-soft pad is designed for applying the final wax or sealant to create the absolute best shine. This gold foam is forty percent softer than the red glazing/finessing foam listed above (100 pores per inch compared to 60 pores per inch for the red foam). The extra cell count means these gold pads disperse wax and sealants more evenly.

Backing Plates and Clean-up

These7 inch Kompressor pads have a 5-3/4 inch recessed opening which will fit our six inch, hook-and-loop, backing plate. Use our part number FBP-6DA for dual-action polishers like the Porter Cable 7424 and part number FBP-6C for circular machine polishers.

dsms
02-27-2009, 09:14 PM
My mistake fella`s i actually have the 5inch hook and loop BP, not the 6inch one. I havent used it since I got my 3M BP back in August. Im sure if I had the 6inch hook and loop I would be fine with all 7inch pads. I will order one right away, thanks for the help anyways.. my mistake:sadwavey:

wannafbody
02-28-2009, 08:38 AM
I think the 5 inch plate would work fine with the 7 inch pads.

imported_wagonproject
02-28-2009, 08:51 AM
6.25`` Backing Plate (http://danase.com/Polishing-Buffing-Pads/6-25-Hook-and-Loop-Backing-Plate-Rotary-Polisher--p67.html)