PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question

Dunncsu
02-27-2009, 08:17 AM
So i am finally getting serious about detailing. I will be detailing my cars as well as my family cars. I am not looking to turn this into a business just do my cars.

Looking at my garage i realized that i don`t have any lighting other than a single 60watt light bulb.

I went to Lowes last night and found a Halogen light stand that has 2 500watt laps on it for $30. I realize these probably aren`t the best quality but will they work?

I want to be able to see the swirls for the most part and i am just trying to figure out if they are powerful enough.

Thanks for the help guys.

Setec Astronomy
02-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Most of us seem to have one of those halogen light stands. A few points IMO...$30 is a great price, but mine isn`t very steady, and I`m always worried about something happening, and the thing falling over...on the car. Even if it fell the other way, it would probably blow the bulbs. Also, they get really hot...if you`re thinking about doing any summer night polishing in the garage...be prepared to wipe sweat drips off the car.

Another thing to think about if your garage is that...er...unrefined? (like mine is), with the lights on the same circuit as the wall outlets...which are on the same circuit as the workshop room off the garage. I was polishing my car on a dark night, halogens blazing, PC in hand, and I heard the dehumidifier kick on inside...as the circuit breaker tripped and I stood there in the pitch black...wondering how I was going to get back inside holding my PC without knocking over my light stand.

They have some similar fluorescent lights at Lowes (or they did), I`m not really sure how the efficiency (watts vs. lumens) or the output compares, and some members feel the fluorescents aren`t best for spotting swirls. Anyway, those are my random thoughts.

Dunncsu
02-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Most of us seem to have one of those halogen light stands. A few points IMO...$30 is a great price, but mine isn`t very steady, and I`m always worried about something happening, and the thing falling over...on the car. Even if it fell the other way, it would probably blow the bulbs. Also, they get really hot...if you`re thinking about doing any summer night polishing in the garage...be prepared to wipe sweat drips off the car.

Another thing to think about if your garage is that...er...unrefined? (like mine is), with the lights on the same circuit as the wall outlets...which are on the same circuit as the workshop room off the garage. I was polishing my car on a dark night, halogens blazing, PC in hand, and I heard the dehumidifier kick on inside...as the circuit breaker tripped and I stood there in the pitch black...wondering how I was going to get back inside holding my PC without knocking over my light stand.

They have some similar fluorescent lights at Lowes (or they did), I`m not really sure how the efficiency (watts vs. lumens) or the output compares, and some members feel the fluorescents aren`t best for spotting swirls. Anyway, those are my random thoughts.

Yea that is what i am worried about. My garage is at my apartment and frankly it has the bare minimum.

It only has a single outlet and the garage door opener plugs into that. I have to unplug the opener and i would have to run the PC and the light off of a splitter in order to power everything.

I was afraid that the breaker would not be able to handle it all.

Mostly i am looking for something portable. I can take the cars to my parents garage to work on them but the light is not that great in their garage either.

Showroom Shine
02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
*ig *ots usually have the Tri Pod Lights for around $22. I know what you are talking about when the breaker trips out. So when I run my Flex and use the light. I only us 1 light whne I`m buffing. Yes, they do get very hot. I`m considering buying 2 of the floresent type for my garage. I do not detail there,but I want the light when I do my truck!

Dunncsu
02-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Do you guys have an example of the florescent lights you are talking about?

Link to that type?