PDA

View Full Version : What type of pad for hand polishing?

AcuraYYZ
02-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Since I have no rotary and am not planning on aquiring one soon, what sort of OTCpad should I use by hand to apply scratch-x after claying in an attempt to remove any swirl marks? I`ve got microfibers cloths but I don`t think they`d work for polish application. I`ve seen the foam pads made by armour-all which I am considering as well. Unfortunately, you cannot get Meg`s pads OTC here.

Just to run it by, how does this routine sound:

-Rinse

-Wash with mitt and Meg`s GC shampoo

-Dry with microfiber/absorber

-Clay with QD/clay bar kit from Meg`s

-Rinse again

-Polish with Scratch-Dr for swirls

-Apply Cleaner-wax/remove

-Protect with either collinite, carnuba or nxt

jayh2301
02-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Use a microfiber wax applicator...u can get them at your local auto parts store....Good luck!!!

Accumulator
02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
AcuraYYZ- I end up using towels more than anything else. Cotton for aggressive work and MF for milder stuff. I`ll *sometimes* use a foam pad, just a regular round yellow wax-aplicator pad, but I bet I use MF towels more often than anything else.

Switch to a clean section now and then as whatever you use will get loaded with old product and paint/ect.

Note that doing correction by hand can be quite a challenge. You might want to pick up some Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound. It`d be a lot easier to do one/two passes with that and then one follow-up with something milder than it`d be to do a zillion passes with only the mild product.

RaskyR1
02-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I will usually use the foam yellow pads. Cotton and MF are more aggressive and I have seen them marr the finish before on some softer paints. Be sure to do a test panel to see if they are marring your finish before using them.

Megs does have better products out for hand use now too, as Accumulator posted above. Maybe pick up the Ultimate compound and SwirlX.

Rasky

Accumulator
02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
I will usually use the foam yellow pads. Cotton and MF are more aggressive and I have seen them marr the finish ..

Yeah, the cotton can be mighty aggressive and can leave some marring of its own, I`d only use that for serious work.

But I find that MF is *less* aggressive than foam :think: I suppose there are a lot of different foams/MFs out there and that could make it a YMMV situation.

pgp
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I would use a MF or foam pad. As far as the steps go , I would eliminate the cleaner wax. It`s a all in one product.