PDA

View Full Version : Proper Leaf Blower

Pages : [1] 2 3

BlueAngel
02-25-2009, 08:10 PM
I`m shopping around for a good leaf blower to dry my car and engine bay. I came acoss a few at home depot. Some were 120 mph and some were 230 mph. I didn`t know which was best for my car. Maybe you guys can school me on this one, thanks in advance!

BigAl3
02-25-2009, 08:30 PM
a 150 mph blower is plenty enough (i`ve had/used 200+ mph ones and there wasn`t much of a dicernable difference so returned they were), walmart has one for $29 (read the reviews). it`s so light, you can hold it in one hand and have a microfiber/waffle weave in the other to pick up any trickling water as you go...

Walmart.com: Weed Eater WEB150 Electric Blower: Lawn & Garden (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4910793)

BlueAngel
02-25-2009, 08:43 PM
a 150 mph blower is plenty enough, walmart has one for $29 (read the reviews)...

Walmart.com: Weed Eater WEB150 Electric Blower: Lawn & Garden (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4910793)

What is your thoughts on cordless blowers and 120 mph leaf blowers?

BlueAngel
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Sorry, I meant rechargebles not gas.

BigAl3
02-25-2009, 08:47 PM
What is your thoughts on cordless blowers and 120 mph leaf blowers?

i would pass on those and get the one i linked, you want electric not gas...

BlueAngel
02-25-2009, 08:50 PM
i would pass on those and get the one i linked, you want electric not gas...

BigAl, thanks man! :goodjob

Glossequation
02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I`m shopping around for a good leaf blower to dry my car and engine bay. I came acoss a few at home depot. Some were 120 mph and some were 230 mph. I didn`t know which was best for my car. Maybe you guys can school me on this one, thanks in advance!

I have a 2 stroke 175 mph Poulan from Wal-Mart. Works perfect.

BigJimZ28
02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
CFM is more important than MPH

Deanski
02-25-2009, 09:07 PM
You can add more restrictive nozzles by going to your local Home Depot/Lowes and add PCV/foam adapters to get the air where you want it. This way, you can really get into tight spots and get all the water out.

Or add a hose adapter to gain further access into very very hard to reach areas. A couple of reducers will do the trick.

I`ve also added spun fiberglass filters on the intake just in case.

Best to always use these where the ground is wet from washing. If you move the car to a dry area and use the blower, you`re gonna have to go back and wash it again since it will move dust very effectively.

At the end of the blower discharge, at least put some Armorfex foam or other foam to protect it from hitting the finish in case you get the unit too close or it kicks up or down from a deflection of forced air.

I have a Toro model and it works fine for me!

Remember, compressed air that is used for general car service contains oils and moisture unless you have in-line filter dryers and partical filters used in painting a finish. Then, it`s dry, free of oils and dirt. Otherwise, you`re just adding debris back on to a finish by using a compressor/tank without filters/dryers.

Regards,

Deanski

BlueAngel
02-25-2009, 09:22 PM
CFM is more important than MPH

What should I be looking for?

You can add more restrictive nozzles by going to your local Home Depot/Lowes and add PCV/foam adapters to get the air where you want it. This way, you can really get into tight spots and get all the water out.

Or add a hose adapter to gain further access into very very hard to reach areas. A couple of reducers will do the trick.

I`ve also added spun fiberglass filters on the intake just in case.

Best to always use these where the ground is wet from washing. If you move the car to a dry area and use the blower, you`re gonna have to go back and wash it again since it will move dust very effectively.

At the end of the blower discharge, at least put some Armorfex foam or other foam to protect it from hitting the finish in case you get the unit too close or it kicks up or down from a deflection of forced air.

I have a Toro model and it works fine for me!

Remember, compressed air that is used for general car service contains oils and moisture unless you have in-line filter dryers and partical filters used in painting a finish. Then, it`s dry, free of oils and dirt. Otherwise, you`re just adding debris back on to a finish by using a compressor/tank without filters/dryers.

Regards,

Deanski

Would do the adaptors look like? I looked in HomeDepot, but didn`t offer any nozzles.

JohnZ3MC
02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Deanski mentioned a few tips I was going to mention, he`s quick.

I too have a Toro, a two speed and it works well. I usually use it on the high speed but will back it down to the low for delicate jobs. I think the top airspeed is somewhere around 200 mph.

You can also dip the tip into that plastic liquid handle mixture stuff to offer protection from contact.

They`re also great for blow drying engines, wheels and tires.

Get a light unit like the Toro so the wife can use it in the fall.

-John C.

Deanski
02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
What should I be looking for?

Would do the adaptors look like? I looked in HomeDepot, but didn`t offer any nozzles.

You have to make these on your own. I used PVC and other plastic "plumbing", used a heatgun to form them to the oval end of my blower.

Ever see Apollo 13?:lol Lots of try trial and error, but it all comes to how much you want to tinker with it to fit your application.

A blower by itself it fine by the way.

I also used my dogs hair dryer which is just perfect for tight areas. Lots of air and can vary the speed and temp.

Deanski

BlueAngel
02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
What do u guys think of this one!

Makita UB181DZ Variable Speed 18V Cordless Blower (http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/UB181DZ/)

BigJimZ28
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I think it only has 78 CFM

the $30 weedeater @ walmart has over 200.....what do you think of it now?

BlueAngel
02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Gotta find a Walmart first. :sadpace: