PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Pressure Washers: Harbor Freight Pacific Hydrostar or Sears Power Washer?

itskrees
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
As i`m getting ready to finally order my detailing supplies for upcoming spring, i`ve found just enough room in my budget to purchase a $100 pressure washer. As of now, i`ve narrowed it down to two:

Pacific Hydrostar 1600psi Electric PW from Harbor Freight:

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=99741)

and

PowerWasher Premium 1600psi Electric PW from Sears:

Power Washer Premium 1600 PSI Electric Powerwasher® - Model PW1600H-S at Sears.com (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07175268000P)

Have any of you had experience with either of these? Is there any other PW around $100 that could be added to this list? I`m only planning on using them on my car when I wash it and nothing else. Which do you guys think is a better buy? Also, would you know if I`d be able to hook up a CamSpray foamer to either of these, or would I need to buy an adapter similar to the one needed to fit one onto a Karcher?

I originally wasn`t planning on purchasing a pressure washer as part of my detailing arsenal, do you guys think this would be a definite plus? Or should I stick with a Gilmour and garden hose? Thanks in advance!

itskrees
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Anyone? Advice, comments, suggestions?

BigJimZ28
02-24-2009, 09:41 PM
IMO your $ is better spent on something else

also by the time you buy all the fittings and shipping ect. for the CamSpray

it would prob cost more the thr PW

itskrees
02-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks, so you think the Gilmour should be good enough?

OCKlasse
02-25-2009, 01:07 AM
I love my Karcher / Foam Cannon combination personally.

citizen arcane
02-25-2009, 11:28 AM
My electric Karcher cost about fifty bucks more than your budget. It has a detergent bottle onboard that I use with a soap/apc solution for wheel wells and does a really good job. Like you, I use mine only on the car and only when grit is present but use just clear water w/ no foam sprayer. It`s a great addition to my wash regimen and plan to get another when this one goes south.

oeklm
02-25-2009, 01:14 PM
cant go wrong with a foam gun if your on a budget... i like mine jsut fine.. =)

itskrees
02-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I`ve decided to just save up and get myself a Karcher + Foam cannon later on.

NeoE60
04-28-2010, 06:50 PM
That`s weird, all the Karcher models got really poor reviews on Amazon.

OCKlasse
04-29-2010, 12:25 AM
For $150, get the Snap-on one from Costco...

vtec92civic
04-29-2010, 01:02 AM

was just about to say that. I purchased some of those karscher pressure washers and they were trash from my personal experience. Some people might have good luck with them. One worked for like 10 min. took it back and exchanged it for another one which didn`t work at all. Just went and got a refund. I have always used gas pressure washers but lately have been annoyed by the sound.

Foam Guns are great but on some days it`s so nice to have a pressure washer as it helps a lot.

My buddy got the Snap On one from costco and beefed it up! Changed the fittings to brass, new gun with quick connects and everything so it`s a lot better with that stuff changed.

I`m going to try and purchase that unit soon or a cam spray or something heavy duty like that but those are like $600

BostonDuce
04-29-2010, 08:25 AM
When you buy a PW it`s all about the pump.

Any inexpensive PW is going to have a pump that`s not rated for HD use.

For regular use, you need to go to a commercial grade pump, and that will bring you into a starting price range of $500.00. Since the commercial rated pumps are usually higher in output, you will win either a gas powered or 220v "engine" so the cost escalates quickly.

And when you get that pimpin` pump, anything that you put through it that`s not clean, cold water will drastically reduce it`s life.

BD

estcstm3
04-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Dumb question but the foam cannons are compatible with all pressure washers? I know they make some for straight air compressors?

GatorJ
04-29-2010, 06:21 PM

Apparently you got the only good one. All the others are junk.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/120102-snap-electric-pressure-washer-costco.html