PDA

View Full Version : How do you people reapply wax…

hey_i'm_new
02-24-2009, 02:33 PM
How do you people reapply wax… I am using Collinite 476S.

Planning to do a regular wash

Clay

And rewax…

Am I missing something? I am afraid I am going to spread contaminates.

Accumulator
02-24-2009, 03:26 PM
How do you people reapply wax… I am using Collinite 476S.

Planning to do a regular wash

Clay

And rewax…

Am I missing something? I am afraid I am going to spread contaminates.

That`s what I do; I don`t even bother to clay every time I rewax (though it *is* a good idea). As long as you get the contaminants off with the clay you shouldn`t have any problems. Just make sure to knead/replace the clay frequently so you don`t rub contaminated clay against the paint and buff off any clay/lube residue.

SOCALEXO
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
If I am going to slap on some wax, first I evaluate the adhered "grit" on the paint as I wash it. If it feels gritty then I know to give it a once over with the clay then wax. If it feels relatively smooth as I wash then I will just wax. My car is parked inside at home & at work so I don`t get a lot of adhered contaminents over the weeks. Also, I don`t always need to clay the entire car, the biggest problem spots (that need clay) would be the "tops" - hood, roof, top of trunk - that may be obvious since that`s where all the contaminents land and sit.

good luck

Todd@RUPES
02-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Bob and I spoke for several hours (I think) and while we agree that we don`t agree and a lot, we had a heart to heart conversation. At the end of day Bob raised some valid points about my perception online, and it turned into a positive conversation in the end.

In the end I never intentionally attacked Bob on this post, but our previous history lead to an obvious assumption. Bob has a reputation for amazingly good work that speaks for itself (if anybody is trying to make a leap). It actually feels good to have a positive out come from a disagreement, and to that end I have created my own perception. (Which could be better).As far as re-applying wax, you don`t really need to worry to much about wax build up. If you are reapplying the same brand product there should be no issues with bonding or anchoring.

The advice given previously is stop on. Wash the car thoroughly, dry it, then inspect the finish by feel. If it `feels` gritty, then claying is probably the best option. If the paint is smooth, then you will be fine with putting on another layer.

I am not a fan of using clay to remove previous lsp`s. There is a risk of marring with clay. If your goal is simply remove the previous layer of wax a high alkaline soap wash or a wipe down with isopropyl alcohol would probably serve as better options

wannafbody
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I`d think polishing after claying is the best method or use a AIO to remove the micromarring from claying.

BigJimZ28
02-24-2009, 05:24 PM
what do you mean "you people"

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_03/downey3_468x300.jpg

dublifecrisis
02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
until a couple weeks ago, I had Mother`s, 476IW, opti-seal, AW and a little Natty Blue on my car at the same time...LOL all this over about 3-4 months time.

Only at the start of February did I actually clay, AIO and layer OOS topped with Natty Blue.

In my amateur opinion the finish looks significantly better now...of course the claying/cleaning played a big role.

Legacy
02-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Use a paint cleaner like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or Swissvax Fluid before waxing.

imported_Luster
02-24-2009, 08:42 PM
How do you people reapply wax… .

Claybar

ZAIO by PC with orange or white pad

Z8

Accumulator
02-25-2009, 10:36 AM
I dunno, guess this is one of those where it`s risky to generalize...I`ll agree 100% that doing some kind of paint cleaning with PCL/etc. is the optimal way to prep for a rewax, and sure, clay off any contamination whose presence you discern (and if that leads to marring then yeah, time to polish), but either/both of those "proper" preps is a whole lotta work compared to just applying another coat of wax. I`d only do the prep if it`s really necessary, and *IME* it doesn`t always need to be done. With a while to go before spring/nice weather, I can see spending a few minutes doing a quick wax-only job as opposed to making a big project out of it. Eh...I probably sound all :argue

I`d think polishing after claying is the best method or use a AIO to remove the micromarring from claying.

I keep forgetting that not every clay/paint combo works out marring-free (my paints simply don`t get marred when I use Sonus Ultra-fine clay on them, as long as I do the claying right).