PDA

View Full Version : Polishing a clear bra

ryncarzk
02-24-2009, 07:14 AM
I need to polish the clear bra protection of the headlights on my M3. Will normal paint polishes or Zaino plastic polish induce swirls?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

HTP AutoWorks
03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
it all depends on what type of film you have. 3M can be polished and buffed. Other films cant be buffed. I always recommend Zaino on my films... ClearMask AR and VentureShield.

MorBid
03-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Your best bet is to avoid polishes with any abrasives in them. I just saw Adam`s has a product out for Clear Bra`s. I haven`t tried it though.

I have used Plexus which makes the material shinny and clean but doesn`t remove any thing. Same for Novous #1.

You also want to avoid building up heat in case you were thinking of using a machine.

imported_GregCavi
03-17-2009, 10:18 PM
I just saw Adam`s has a product out for Clear Bra`s.

Might as well cut out the middle man

Clear Bra Clear Film Protection (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Clear_Bra_Clear_Film_Protection_p/wac_767_16.htm)

Greg

MorBid
03-20-2009, 07:44 PM
How is that the same is the Adam`s Clear Polish (http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-360-adams-clear-polish.aspx)? I can`t find the other product they have.

David Fermani
03-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Your best bet is to avoid polishes with any abrasives in them.

You also want to avoid building up heat in case you were thinking of using a machine.

Really? I`ve buffed clear bras with my rotary coupled with abrasive polishes without any problems. I guess it`s user defined?

uzj100
03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
I tend to use a "step" lower and less rpms too, due to heat considerations. For example, white LC pad with 106FA, but not white with SIP or IP. Works well for me.

Lumadar
03-20-2009, 10:25 PM
I buffed mine with M205 and a rotary with Meg`s W8207 yellow polishing pad and it worked great.

I think everyone just needs to pay attention to heat, otherwise, most paint products should work.

Accumulator
03-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I`ve done the oe PPFs on Audis and Porsches with varying levels of success. I *have* noticed that some of those films eventually yellowed a bit, but I dunno if it was from regular age/etc. or whether I compromised their UV resistance :nixweiss

MorBid
03-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Really? I`ve buffed clear bras with my rotary coupled with abrasive polishes without any problems. I guess it`s user defined?

Yep really. Taken from 3M`s Paint Protection Film FAQ (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/FAQs/#maintenance).

Q. Can I use wax over Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film?

A. Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3Mâ„¢ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used.

I have to admit trying both Optimum Polish and Hi-Temp`s Light Cut Leveler on the film which I have on the hood and it left the material cloudy/hazy.

Now what anyone does on their own cars as opposed to what you`ll do on someone`s else`s are two different subjects entirely.

That is if things don`t work out you can live with it on your car, you`ll be coming out of your pocket for someone`s else`s.