PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Give Me Polish Equivalents?

Glossequation
02-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I swear by my beloved 3M Polishing Duo / 1-2 punch, which is Fine Cut Rubbing Compound and Perfect It III Machine Glaze. I follow that up with either #26, #16, NXT 2.0 or Mother`s Pure (depending on my mood). I also admit to not keeping up with all the seemingly new products that have flooded the market. Anyway, I`m almost out of my Fine Cut and would not be averse to trying something new, perhaps a little more modern. I absolutely love the way the FCRC works with a white or orange pad and the PC, and then how the Machine Glaze removes any haze and preps the surface for wax so nicely...so, what are the Poorboys, Menzerna, Dodo, Pinnacle and Meguiar`s equivalents of:

Fine Cut Rubbing Compound (39002) -

Perfect It III Machine Glaze (05937) -

Thanks very much for helping me stay `current`!!

Accumulator
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
blackcaraddict- The 3M twins are *still* my choice for the MPV, except that I use PI-III RC 05933 instead of the PI-II FCRC (the silica in FCRC scares me off it).

That said, I`d replace the RC with Meg`s M105. You could still use the PI-III MG 05937 as a follow up.

I think you`ll actually like the M105 a lot better than the FCRC, but see what *you* think. M105 really is one of those rare "you gotta try it" products.

TSIBrian
02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Here is a Polish Chart (http://thedetailinghandbook.com/Polish_Chart.aspx) I keep bookmarked. I`m not sure if it gets updated or not but it still has a good amount of products on it.

Glossequation
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys - Accumulator, I remember our conversations from what seems like a few years ago about 3M, whereby we both gave great praise (I`m somewhat old school in that the boutique stuff doesn`t appeal all that much to me). I do agree with you that the FCRC and it`s silica content has forced me to use a dust mask when using it (and I`m not one of those overly concerned types). I`ll probably pick up the 05933 and the M105, since I still favor 3M and Meguiar`s - actually now they`re the same company...while I will get these two, I`m taking an "if it aint broke" mentality and sticking with the brands I know most.

If I could ask you to summarize how M105 breaks down compared to FCRC? I`ve got my routine with my 3M stuff DOWN TO A SCIENCE and know exactly when it`s going to flash, when to stop polishing, etc...can Meguiar`s give me this at some point?

TSIBrian - thanks very much for the link.

As it gets to the end of February during what`s been a dreadful winter here in New England, I can`t help but try and get ready for the upcoming season. Talk about cabin fever...

Accumulator
02-24-2009, 12:07 PM
..I`ll probably pick up the 05933 and the M105..

Good luck finding 05933 these days, it got replaced by the PI-3000 RC, which is sufficiently different that I don`t like it as a 05933 alternative. I`d just get the M105. I *almost* wish I hadn`t bothered stockpiling my PI-III stuff, the new Meg`s polishes are *that* good.

If I could ask you to summarize how M105 breaks down compared to FCRC? I`ve got my routine with my 3M stuff DOWN TO A SCIENCE and know exactly when it`s going to flash, when to stop polishing, etc...can Meguiar`s give me this at some point?

M105 doesn`t break down in the conventional sense; it doesn`t do the diminishing abrasives thing the way the FCRC does but rather seems to just dry out when you`ve worked it. It seems to cut via quite fine, but very sharp, abrasives rather than big sorta-sharp abrasives that get smaller/less sharp with work..it does flash and the residue can be wiped off without marring, so I`m not sure *how* it really works :nixweiss I`ve only used the v1.0 which flashed quite quickly, but I seemed to get the hang of it right away, perhaps because I don`t like using products that have really long work times. I *think* that your experiences with the 3M stuff will serve you well with the M105.

You work it until it`s almost dry (which isn`t long). Same ol` same ol` in that regard. Vary its cut by using different pads and moderate/minimal pressure.

There are people here with *LOADS* more experience with M105 than I`ll ever have, see if you can find references to the "Kevin Brown method" for more info.