PDA

View Full Version : I can`t believe this......

KingC
02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I work for Toyota Motor Corporation, but I have always had a passion for detailing cars. I have detailed cars for friends and family for a number of years. This past December I thought I would open up a fixed location to give my wife something to do as far as scheduling appts. as well as giving her some spending money. I was going to take the time to get the business running on my own and to train someone the way that I wanted. My hometown has 1 detail service and they are horrible to put it nicely, but yet they stay busy because they are the only one around.

We found an ideal location:

1. prior service garage

2. 2 bays

3. nice lobby

4. wonderful parking

5. washer/dryer hookup

6. high traffic

7. not to mention $550 a month lease for a year

I called the broker (which has been a family friend for years) that is handling this for the individual that lives out of state. I talked to the broker as well as the owner about my proposal. They informed me that an individual was looking at the building to make it a meat cutting place. I thought that will never work. They were keen on the idea of mine, but was letting the individual exhaust all opportunities of getting financing for his meat business instead of taking it out from underneath him. Everyone was in agreement if things fell through that I would have 1st opportunity on the building. They told me a month ago that the meat business was a go. So time to time I would go by the building to see what was taking place. Nothing was going on. This went on for over a month. So this past Saturday I drive by the building and long behold there is a sign made out on posterboard that says carwash and detailng. I called the broker and I guess the individuals went with my idea instead of their meat business. Pretty dirty if you ask me.

So know I have had business cards and fliers made up and I am going to do it from my house until I have the extra money to go mobile.

kustomsol
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Just to be the devil`s advocate here:

If you set up and run your own business, you`ll only have to work about half a day 24/7; the other 12 hours is all yours. Having your wife as a part of the business will become a bone of contention unless you each agree on absolute limits. My wife was business manager of my medical practice and I was not allowed (absolutely not) beyond the examining room area. And when I did overstep my bounds, I caught hell.

No one can do the detailing as well as you do, so do not expect the "hired help" to provide the results and service and personal care you would.

Watch the business that took "your" spot. I suspect they did you a big favor by allowing you to work from home and do it all yourself, your way!!

imported_Detailing Technology
02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Happens everyday.

The landlords look into your pokets every month IF you have a business they can`t set up themselves.

Then they bump up your rent after the first lease expires so they can take if from you by tripling your rent on the renewal!

WhiteStripes
02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Wow man, that sucks. I agree that they`d probably screw you on the renewal, but still, I can`t believe they did that.

imported_Puckman
02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
I say put them out of business quick with superior services! Good luck.

dropscience
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow, pretty shady. Not much of a "family friend` if the broker sold you out like that.

imported_Detailing Technology
02-23-2009, 07:13 PM
One question I have. $550 per month? That is ridiculous!

KingC
02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah $550. I will try to upload some pictures of them building. I don`t think that it will take much to put them out.

SOCALEXO
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
That does sux!! Here`s some invaluable advice, have an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) drawn up and before you talk "business" with ANYONE, again ANYONE, you have them sign the NDA first.

Because your business is not very unique your NDA should be very detailed/specific to the point of stating .... "auto detailing in a 2 bay, 2500 sq ft garage, located at 123 main street". These specifics are what will differentiate your business plan from one a court will toss out as being vague.

With the NDA if someone does you wrong, like these guys did, at least you can score a fast $5k in small claims court (for calif. anyway). Oh ya, in the NDA include that they will pay for your legal advice & counsel, court costs and missed wages for attending court (because many people think you get this automatically by the court and you DON`t).

good luck

backwoods_lex
02-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Sounds like it (the business that actually got the spot) will be a clown show operation. Sudden :idea to start a detailing business has failed for a lot of people in the past, and the economy is not in it`s best shape right now.

I`d locate a black car and polish it out 100%. Then take pics and send it in for a couple of washes. Take some after sun pics and post them on craigslist and your website showing what the new guy on the block did to your car. It would serve him right IMO.

It sucks that that the market will now be split 3 ways for you.

KingC
02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah I could do that easily. My wife has a black 2006 Lincoln Navigator with 22" DUB Dropstars and it actually needs waxed and polished.