PDA

View Full Version : Wax for Canadian Winters?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

dropscience
02-23-2009, 08:42 AM
This is for all you Canadians on the east coast! do you use a wax that has tougher protection against the road salt and grime during the winter months? I mean, I think the "wet look" and "shine" would take secondary position to protection during the winter. I`ve been using only one wax (Zymol Japon) throughout the year but am wondering if I should switch to a wax that is designed more for protection during the winter.

imported_User Name
02-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I went to Collinite 476s this year for my winter wax but I`m not sure it is any better than anything else I`ve used in terms of "special for the winter" stuff.

akimel
02-23-2009, 09:25 AM
The Collinite waxes are, I think, the most popular winter waxes. They certainly get talked about more than any other wax. I have 845 on both of my vehicles. But Finish Kare 1000p is starting to build up a strong reputation as a durable, easy, and economical synthetic sealant. I wonder if it will achieve as much popularity as Colly as a winter protective.

dropscience
02-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! To be honest, I never heard of the term "sealant" till now. I`m guessing a sealant is designed more for protection whereas a wax is designed more for aesthetics with protection. Is that right?

In terms of Collinite 845. Do you need to prep the paint before application? typically, before I apply Zymol Japon, I do the Zymol HD-Cleanse process. Would this be sufficient?

Also, is Collinite 845 easy to remove once spring comes around? This would be when I would apply my wax of choice on for the summer months.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

akimel
02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! To be honest, I never heard of the term "sealant" till now. I`m guessing a sealant is designed more for protection whereas a wax is designed more for aesthetics with protection. Is that right?

Wax typically refers to a protective product composed of natural ingredients or, more likely, a combination of natural and synthetic ingredients. Sealant typically refers to a protective product composed exclusively of synthetic ingredients. Here is a brief discussion of the difference between waxes and sealants (http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html).

In terms of Collinite 845. Do you need to prep the paint before application? typically, before I apply Zymol Japon, I do the Zymol HD-Cleanse process. Would this be sufficient?

Yes, you should prep the surface. I would imagine that your Zymol pre-wax cleaner would do just fine.

Also, is Collinite 845 easy to remove once spring comes around? This would be when I would apply my wax of choice on for the summer months.

I have found that a chisel works just fine to remove 845. (Just kidding!) Seriously, claying and a pre-wax cleaner should do the job.

wannafbody
02-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Collinite, Zaino or Duragloss

BigJimZ28
02-23-2009, 11:00 AM
or Klasse twins, or #16

corrswitch
02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
For winter, I used Collinite 476s (885 really) on 3 cars for the winter for the first time. Waxed once in Nov for durability and they`re still beading and sheeting after a wash every other week. 2 of them stay out in the open in Toronto winters and so that`s almost 4 months.

I think that`s pretty good since my car is always covered in salt. And for one car, it went through a touchless car wash and it was still there.

The windshield needs some touchup. I guess the windshield washer fluid removed it.

In the summertime, I like to try out other waxes so yes I used "tougher" wax for winter.

After the winter, I`ll be claying anyways so that`s when the wax will be removed.

Hope to test out Meg #16, #24 and poli-seal against eachother to see who wins :)

Greg Nichols
02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I have to say I`m very happy with FK 1000p even more so than Collinite 845, have yet to try 476. 3 layers and you are good for 6 harsh months. I take my car through the touchless weekly and the water just flys off in the dryer.

Cheers,

GREG

dropscience
02-23-2009, 11:27 AM
are sealants suchs as collinite safe on stoneguard tapes? i have the ventureshield paint protection film on my entire frontend.

imported_User Name
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
For winter, I used Collinite 476s (885 really) on 3 cars for the winter for the first time. Waxed once in Nov for durability and they`re still beading and sheeting after a wash every other week. 2 of them stay out in the open in Toronto winters and so that`s almost 4 months.

I think that`s pretty good since my car is always covered in salt. And for one car, it went through a touchless car wash and it was still there.

The windshield needs some touchup. I guess the windshield washer fluid removed it.

In the summertime, I like to try out other waxes so yes I used "tougher" wax for winter.

After the winter, I`ll be claying anyways so that`s when the wax will be removed.

Hope to test out Meg #16, #24 and poli-seal against eachother to see who wins :)

What are you using as your wash? I`m in Toronto as well and I`m not getting anywhere near the durability your getting out of 476s. I`m lucky to get 10 weeks but if I said 8, I probably wouldn`t be lying either.

imported_User Name
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
or Klasse twins, or #16

How do you think using Klasse SG is for durability with KAIO? I found it was not very good at all and I`m wondering if it is better when using them together.

akimel
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
are sealants suchs as collinite safe on stoneguard tapes? i have the ventureshield paint protection film on my entire frontend.

I would contact Collinite directly and ask them this question: moczkowski@collinite.com.

JohnZ3MC
02-23-2009, 12:08 PM
The Collinite line has quite a reputation for protection and longevity for sure.

Bilt Hamber`s Auto Balm has been getting a lot of talk lately also and seems to be similar in concept. Long lasting, super protection, great looks, and lots of fillers for swirls. I just applied the Auto Balm to my winter driver and so far, it`s living up to it`s hype.

Rubbish Boys, an English company will ship it to Canada.

-John C.

imported_Picus
02-23-2009, 12:11 PM
What are you using as your wash? I`m in Toronto as well and I`m not getting anywhere near the durability your getting out of 476s. I`m lucky to get 10 weeks but if I said 8, I probably wouldn`t be lying either.

Well you didn`t ask me, but I`m using 476s on my car too and am getting much better than 10 weeks out of it. I think the way I care for my car is a little different than most Autopians though; I wash it very infrequently. It`s garaged at night, but I`m out every day. I might wash it twice or three times all winter. I use Maxi-Suds from chemical guys in a foam gun, pressure wash, a little more maxi suds in a bucket, wash, dry, off I go. I don`t remember when I last put 476s on, probably some time in early November. It`s still beading well and the slickness is still good. Not great, but good. I think it`ll take me through March.