PDA

View Full Version : ONR, what about residual LSP?

jam
02-23-2009, 01:07 AM
I enjoy using ONR, but would it be incorrect to use it if you need to polish afterwards? ONR doesn`t remove LSP and I`ve read that claying doesn`t as well sometimes,so does that mean you`ll end up polishing with some residual LSP leftover?

Would it be better to use a stronger soap with a tradition wash every time you need to polish?

Thanks.

dervdave
02-23-2009, 04:26 AM
You can polish or apply wax/sealant after an ONR wash but to remove a lsp you`ll need a strong soap solution.

Setec Astronomy
02-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Most polishes will take most LSP`s right off. There are a few members who have noted in a few situations that their polishing has been compromised by some residual on the surface, but I believe that is the exception rather than the rule.

TSIBrian
02-23-2009, 08:41 AM
From what I understand only the finer clays will not remove the LSP. If you need to clay just use more of a medium type. If your paint is smooth enough that it doesn`t need clay you can always just give it an IPA wipe down and keep on using the ONR.

jam
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks. I guess my main concern is polishing if there is some LSP left.

Accumulator
02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks. I guess my main concern is polishing if there is some LSP left.

As long as it`s just "some LSP" you shouldn`t have any problems at all. I`m one of the people who *has* had issues from polishing residual LSP, but it was a mighty *healthy* LSP.

If I want to compromise existing LSP, I`ll either wash with Dawn (yeah yeah, save the flamjobs) which doesn`t really strip all that well anyhow, or the first step of a decontamination system, or I`ll do a quick wipe with IPA. But IMO 99% of the time it`s just not necessary.

Heh heh, if the LSP is healthy enough to cause issues I wouldn`t be polishing :D

kopimon
02-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Regarding the IPA wipedown, do you pros do that before or after polishing?

Accumulator
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Regarding the IPA wipedown, do you pros do that before or after polishing?

Welcome to Autopia!

Noting that a) I`m not a pro, and b) I very seldom do IPA wipedowns...

the answer is "both".

Before (if needed) to compromise existing LSP, after (if needed) to remove any residual polishing oils/etc. so the paint`s true condition is clearly visible.

kopimon
03-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Welcome to Autopia!

Noting that a) I`m not a pro, and b) I very seldom do IPA wipedowns...

the answer is "both".

Before (if needed) to compromise existing LSP, after (if needed) to remove any residual polishing oils/etc. so the paint`s true condition is clearly visible.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot about this thread because I didn`t have "auto-subscribe" turned on. If I want to make an IPA solution, how much should I dilute it? Assuming the bottle I buy is already 70%.

Accumulator
03-24-2009, 11:26 AM
If I want to make an IPA solution, how much should I dilute it? Assuming the bottle I buy is already 70%.

I just use it straight (on the rare occasions that I use it at all) and I don`t even pay attention to what strength the bottle in question is. Yeah, I know, that sounds awful but IMO this one isn`t a case where it really matters.

kopimon
03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I just use it straight (on the rare occasions that I use it at all) and I don`t even pay attention to what strength the bottle in question is. Yeah, I know, that sounds awful but IMO this one isn`t a case where it really matters.

Alright, thanks. I`ll do some research into whether or not diluting it makes a difference. If there`s no difference between diluted and neat, I`ll probably just dilute it to save product :idea

spotter
03-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Just my opinion....but I would be very surprised if you had any problem whatsoever with just polishing away any lsp. If you clay before polishing it would be even more rare for there to be an issue.......however, IPA should clear up any issues.

Accumulator
03-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Just my opinion....but I would be very surprised if you had any problem whatsoever with just polishing away any lsp..

Yeah, I can only think of *one* time that it actually caused any real problems for me.

Alright, thanks. I`ll do some research into whether or not diluting it makes a difference. If there`s no difference between diluted and neat, I`ll probably just dilute it to save product...

Well, don`t dilute it to the point that it`s too weak to do the job.

Scottwax
03-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I just let the polishing take care of any left over LSP. Unless there is a recent application of a sealant or layer upon layer of carnauba, polishing off whatever is left is a piece of cake.