PDA

View Full Version : Pad Maintenance DURING a Detail

itskrees
02-23-2009, 12:05 AM
I`ve been reading a bunch of threads regarding pad maintenance along with reviews on the Universal Pad Washer. While the pad washer is a quick and easy solution to say the least, its definitely pricey. In addition, i`m planning on getting the Flex 3401VRG DA, and have read about people that attempted to spin their pad dry with a PC after cleaning it noticed that it was very hard on the velcro, is this true? Since this is the way the Universal Pad washer works to dry the pads, it has become one reason why I wouldn`t want to purchase it.

At the same time, I`ve read that using a spur can cause some damage to the pad, and that the yellow brush available on Autogeek isn`t able to thoroughly clean the pad. In addition, i`ve read that the brush works a lot better on a rotary (can spin while holding the brush to the pad) than a DA (since it oscillates).

My ONLY concern is cleaning the pads DURING a detail. I`m more of an enthusiast than a professional, and as of right now i`m debating whether to get 2 of each color pad + the Universal Pad washer, or simply using a brush + Dawn power dissolver with 4 of each pad. I haven`t been able to find a thorough write-up on cleaning pads during a detail, and the majority of the threads I have found have been about cleaning the pads after a detail is complete.

That being said, what do you guys recommend? Should I purchase more pads or bite the bullet and get the Universal Pad Washer for my flex DA? If you guys recommend getting more pads, how do I clean them (AND dry them) during a detail? I`m guessing i`m still going to get different techniques, but if you guys could be specific i`d really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

eyezack87
02-23-2009, 12:15 AM
I have 2-3 of each pad that I heavily use or more. I wash and spun dry them in the past with my PC on speed 6 with 0 problems doing it. After spin drying it I would set it in the sun to dry. By the time the second pad needed cleaning the 1st pad was dry and ready to use. I would then alternate them accordingly :)

I clean them by hot water and a small dab of Dawn soap. I have had no problems getting out all of the polish ;)

imported_AZ Ferrari Man
02-23-2009, 12:35 AM
All I do when the pads get caked (and are not too wet) is turn the polisher upside down and turn it on speed 5 or 6 while placing an Edge pad brush on it. Start from the center and work outward. You will see the dust fly off and you are left with a clean pad. Now if your pad is heavily cakes and moist, then washing it would be the best bet.

itskrees
02-23-2009, 01:21 AM
eyezack87 - Do you just let the pad soak? Or do you massage the pad/brush it after you toss it in the bucket?

AZ Ferrari Man - Do you use a rotary or a DA? I feel using the edge pad brush with a DA would be kind of difficult since it oscillates and wouldn`t be brushing around the same part of the pad when it spins,but if you use a DA then I could be wrong.

Thanks for your input guys! Keep em coming!

eyezack87
02-23-2009, 01:34 AM
I let it soak in the hot water for a bit with the soap, then I massage it. Of course, if you do it while the polish is fresh, most if it will come out with hot/warm water anyway :)

I always brush it before I polish though. Just out of habit. Brushing works during polishing too but I find that theres a limit on my CCS style pads of how much I can brush it

RonMexico
02-23-2009, 09:49 AM
I`m new to the PC crowd (G110 to be exact) and just had my first go this past weekend...but what I did was squirted the pad with Danase pad cleaner and let it soak in warm water. Most of the excess came right out. I then spun it with the G110 and let it air dry. Seemed to work pretty good but I have no reference point.

EDIT: my primative reading skills just picked up the fact that you want to know how to clean during a detail...not afterwards. does this mean that, say, you use a white pad with product X but then want to use the same pad with product Y right after?

Eyezack seems to have a pretty good technique.

E300Diesel
02-23-2009, 10:04 AM
I ended up picking up the Universal Pad Washer during AutoGeek`s Detail Fest last year and couldn`t have been happier. It`s a very simple design AND it works. I was using it with my UDM and had no issues. I had added a little bit of Woolite to the water to assit with the cleaning of the pads and the pads came out like new after every wash. On a few occasions I was able to 1 pad (LC CCS white) pad for the entire car. I washed the pad after every panel and had ZERO issues.

Is it expensive? YES. This product shouldn`t cost more than half of what it does. I would pick it up when it is on sale. Detail Fest sale coming up soon I would imagine another sale is in the works... :woohoo:

BTW: I didn`t need to brush or fiddle with the pad or removei ti prior to running in the pad washer. I installed the pad in it`s specified location. Pushed down on the spring assembly to bing the water upa nd to soak the pad, closed the lid and went to town. NO damage to the pads AT ALL.

itskrees
02-23-2009, 10:41 AM
does this mean that, say, you use a white pad with product X but then want to use the same pad with product Y right after?

Not necessarily, but more so the fact that I just want to keep a clean pad during the detail. And whether I`m using the same product on the pad or not, I plan on cleaning it after each panel but i`m just not sure which way yet.

I ended up picking up the Universal Pad Washer during AutoGeek`s Detail Fest last year and couldn`t have been happier. It`s a very simple design AND it works. I was using it with my UDM and had no issues. I had added a little bit of Woolite to the water to assit with the cleaning of the pads and the pads came out like new after every wash. On a few occasions I was able to 1 pad (LC CCS white) pad for the entire car. I washed the pad after every panel and had ZERO issues.

BTW: I didn`t need to brush or fiddle with the pad or removei ti prior to running in the pad washer. I installed the pad in it`s specified location. Pushed down on the spring assembly to bing the water upa nd to soak the pad, closed the lid and went to town. NO damage to the pads AT ALL.

So no damage to the velcro or signs of wear whatsoever? Did you have to get used to using it at first? I read a review regarding the universal pad washer and the person said that he needed to get the "technique" down, as there were little signs of pad wear in the after pictures.

wannafbody
02-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I wash my pads after detailing. APC or Scrubbing bubbles works well. The only pad I clean while detailing is a wool pad and I use a toothbrush.

E300Diesel
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
So no damage to the velcro or signs of wear whatsoever? Did you have to get used to using it at first? I read a review regarding the universal pad washer and the person said that he needed to get the "technique" down, as there were little signs of pad wear in the after pictures.

None, and it wasn`t hard at all to get used to. I would would do is...

- postition pad in the bucket

- push down 2 times to get the water solution into the pad

- close lid

- fire up the UDM @ speed 1

- while running on speed 1 I was push the pad down into the washer numerous times to start getting the solution and excess product onto the concave insert

- increase speed, up to speed 3-4 and gently press down on the concave insert and move the pad side to side to ensure the entire pad makes even contact with the concave insert

- raise the pad off of the concave insert and water solution

- turn on UDM and increase speed to 5-6 to "spin-dry"

Appply more product and go to work on your next panel.

No problems to date with the velcro backing.

dublifecrisis
02-23-2009, 11:48 AM
why not just have enough pads to where you can do all this cleaning business at night after your work? Detailing a car takes long enough without having to do `chores` in the middle of it.

When you`re drying a car do you have extra WW towels or do you clean and dry 1 towel and continue drying? ok, different comparison but I would think grabbing a fresh pad would be much easier.

Accumulator
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
itskrees- When I need to clean out a foam pad during a detail, *MOST* of the time I just spray it with Meg`s #34 and wipe it clean with a cotton towel.

It`s not very often that I need to take the pad off to really clean it mid-detail and when I need to spur it with a brush it`s often because I used too much product.

With the Cyclo, those little pads *can* get pretty loaded up, and I`ll take them off to clean them with Dawn Power Dissolver (it`s safe to spin-dry with the Cyclo too), but with larger pads I just don`t have to do that very often.