PDA

View Full Version : whats u;re tint % and state law?!?

Pages : [1] 2

joyriide1113
10-11-2005, 02:12 PM
i started one of these threads a year ago and i guess im expecting more feedback this time.

whats u`re window tint% and what is allowed in u`re state.

i drive a 4-door sedan and up until last week i had 15% in the front passenger and driver windows and 5% on the rear passenger windows. got bored of it and decided i was gonna re-tint the front doors and give them 5% as well. so right now im 5% all around not including the windshield.

since i live miami florida seeing in the day is just as easy and at night there is no trouble. i obviously am more alert on dark roads but in lighted city streets its just like driving in the day.

so yea, give u`re response and feedback alone with any stories u might have regarding tickets.

oops! forgot to mention that the state law here in florida for sedans is 28% in the front doors and 15% in the back. so yea im illegal but i havent caught any heat for it from public officials. although if i did it would be expected.

Bob
10-11-2005, 02:21 PM
My last car I had 5% on the rears and 20% on the side. I got two tint tickets. LOL
The State of Michigan says you can have whatever tint you want on the rear windows. That includes any rear window behind the front doors. So if you have a four door that includes the rear door glass. The front windows can not be tinted at all except for a 4" ban of tint along the top. That looks pretty ridiculous and you hardly ever see that.

joyriide1113
10-11-2005, 02:33 PM
hey bob that 4`` ban is dependant on the car. all cars have a different limit. u can see it on the outside of the windshied and depending on the angle and size of the windshield is dependant on the car. my mini cooper prior to my bimmer had a front strip. despite the law i had it 8 inches wide! as for the bimmer. im havent or am going to tint it. it doesnt loook good on it for me.

TrueDetailer
10-11-2005, 05:30 PM
I got 5% on the back and all 4 doors. 15% on the windshield with 5% 8 inch visor. Same state laws as joyride. I`ve had my truck like this for a few months, Only time that i hate it is when its raining at night. It gets hard to see sometimes.

jaybs02
10-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi joy,
I`m not too sure how updated the list is but you should be able to use this as a guideline State window tinting laws (http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html)
Just a little FYI, I use to have 20% all around on one of my cars and it was real rough to see at night.
I also read an interesting thing, people believe that the dark tint keeps things cooler they actually make things hotter (dark color absorbs the heat).

As a side note be carefull when hitting your dark tinted glass with cool water in the summer, I watched someone shatter their back window when they went to douse their car after it was sitting in the hot sun all day... It was pretty funny to watch the look on his face.

"J"

jlift
10-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I don`t think that the the LEO`s are paying much attention to tint these days. It just seems to be a "add on" to a moving violation. I live in CA and everyone (nearly) has dark windows all the way around. If the law in CA says only so much percentage on the front windows, how is it you are able to buy a NEW car that seems to break that law? Tint shops will do anything you want. It really doesn`t seem to matter. I guess people want privacy for whatever reason.....it`s a joke. Hey, how about an invention that darkens and lightens glass by using a slide switch? Put the tint shops out of business?Maybe in 5 years....

Jack.

jaybs02
10-11-2005, 06:02 PM
I think that one of the car makers tried that, not a slide but something along the lines of sun sensative glass like you have for eye glasses, but I don`t think that it caught on.

"J"

joyriide1113
10-11-2005, 07:43 PM
I got 5% on the back and all 4 doors. 15% on the windshield with 5% 8 inch visor. Same state laws as joyride. I`ve had my truck like this for a few months, Only time that i hate it is when its raining at night. It gets hard to see sometimes.

jeez dude! i remember on my mini cooper i had a 15% llayer all around then topped it with 5% and it became 0%. which then led me to tint the windshield (first and last time i ever do that) 50% and that 50% percent made a huge differance at night considering the windshield is what i mainly looked at.

u`re crazy tho. lol...

jaybs95

u`re right to a point. now im not soo sure about this so dont flame if im wrong but its not soo much that it makes things hotter, its the fact that it holds more heat in rather than letting it escape. one benefit tho is that the tints void u.v. rays which can damage my leather and dash.

wytstang
10-11-2005, 11:22 PM
20% all around the stang that needs to be redone.

JaCkaL829
10-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I *believe* in NJ you can`t have your windshield or front windows tinted at all. Everything behind that can be as dark as you want it though.

Bob
10-12-2005, 06:56 AM
hey bob that 4`` ban is dependant on the car. all cars have a different limit. u can see it on the outside of the windshied and depending on the angle and size of the windshield is dependant on the car. my mini cooper prior to my bimmer had a front strip. despite the law i had it 8 inches wide! as for the bimmer. im havent or am going to tint it. it doesnt loook good on it for me.I meant 4" along the top of the drivers and passenger doors. The windshield can be tinted to the line, which I forget what they call it". ;)

BLUELINE 1
10-12-2005, 07:54 AM
In the state of Georgia the law is 32%, and that also is enforced on out of state vehicles. Georgia done away with the law in 2004, but brought it back Feb. 2005. I have a motor vehicle digest book that covers all states if anyone needs to know their state law.

Jngrbrdman
10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
I had 20% all around in the Integra. That was darker than the law allowed at the time, but I bought the car from out of state and it was already tinted. The only pain is getting the car registered. In Utah you have to get a safety inspection every other year on a new car and then every year after the 5th year. They test your window tint and you can`t get your car registered if the tint is too dark. I`ve never been talked to about my tint in all the times I`ve been pulled over for other issues, but it is a huge pain to get registered if it is too dark. So I finally said screw it and now my windows are all nice and legal. They let you have as dark as you want in the back and 43% in the front I think. That is dark enough. I`d rather stick to 20% all around just to make it match, but not having problems getting it registered is worth it. 20% is as dark as I would go anyway. Any darker than that and you have visibility issues at night and that just isn`t a good idea. I have to back into my garage at night and its hard enough to see where I`m going with 20%. I`d hate to try and do it with 5%.

tubafeak
10-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Hey, how about an invention that darkens and lightens glass by using a slide switch? Put the tint shops out of business?Maybe in 5 years....

Jack.
The Ferrari Superamerica has just such a switch. The roof is made of glass that is both automatically and manually lightened and darkened. I don`t see this putting tint shops out of business any time soon, the cost is still astronomically higher than what a tint shop charges for their nice stuff. Cool technology, needs to be refined so it`s cheaper.

Beemerboy
10-12-2005, 04:02 PM
TUBA

You might be on to something there like the eye glasses that darken outside then lighten up when you come inside