PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions

solekeeper
02-21-2009, 12:23 PM
This question has been egging me for some time.. I see people using green/blue tape to tape moldings etc.. But why those colors?

Apollo_Auto
02-21-2009, 12:26 PM
This question has been egging me for some time.. I see people using green/blue tape to tape moldings etc.. But why those colors?

They`re 3M painter`s tape. They`re stronger (physically, not necessarily the glue itself) than normal masking tape which means they won`t fray as easily when removing them.

06c350sport
02-21-2009, 12:27 PM
3M blue masking tape is just a very high quality formula of masking tape. It removes easily without leaving a residue, and yet provides a very good seal. There`s nothing special about the tape or the color, other than quality.

solekeeper
02-21-2009, 01:10 PM
K, thanks! Will purchase some for the future.

solekeeper
02-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Hey guys, another quick question..

Would a flashlight show defects in paint? Scratches/Swirls etc...

I heard that halogen lighting shows defects best.

Is a flashlight even halogen?

:x

BIOLINK
02-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey guys, another quick question..

Would a flashlight show defects in paint? Scratches/Swirls etc...

I heard that halogen lighting shows defects best.

Is a flashlight even halogen?

:x

I`ve seen some using a Brinkmann Xenon rechargeable flashlight. Xenon is a "hologen" gas. There was a thread, try searching "Brinkmann".

PatL
02-21-2009, 01:50 PM
They`re 3M painter`s tape. They`re stronger (physically, not necessarily the glue itself) than normal masking tape which means they won`t fray as easily when removing them.

When buying 3M Blue tape read the interior of the ring to detemine the type of blue tape. 3M makes at least two types of blue tape. One for delicate surfaces with a mild adhesive for non surface damage to delicate surfaces like wallpaper. The other blue tape is called sunlight stable a more aggressive adhesive like regular masking tape but will still release after being bake on by the sunlight up to 7 days.

For Automotive purposes the sunlight stable tape is probably the best. Some manufactures do not indicate the type of blue tape on the inner ring.

The green tape was originally for Lacquer painting but some of that now is also for delicate surfaces.

I owned a commercial and residential painting and wallcovering business for twenty years.