PDA

View Full Version : Detail industry

AZ Detail
10-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi guys,
I just found this website this morning and have been reading over a lot of your posts. You guys have a ton of great information on here. I`m trying to write a proposal right now for a detailing business and i`m just trying to see if you guys could help me out here a little bit. I just want to see if you guys could tell me what would be the average amount of customers that you get on a daily business as a professional detailer. I`m just trying to get a sense of the market and the industry right now to see if this is a worthy proposal to make.

Beemerboy
10-11-2005, 12:59 PM
I can`t answer your question but click on the search funtion here and type in key words like Detail business or the likes of that.......There are threads here that we have talked about this in the past that might help you with this

AZ Ferrari Man
10-11-2005, 01:06 PM
What part of AZ are you in?

Andrew

Brenton
10-11-2005, 01:08 PM
While the industry is international, the market is local. I`m in one of the poorest provinces in Canada with a series of failed detailing businesses, long cold winters, and a reluctance to change.

With all that, I have 2-3 customers per week. 3 customers per week means I break even and take no salary. In month two, we almost broke even, and we hope to break even this month and throughout the winter. I don`t intend to see any cash until spring, and then only a fraction of what we put in.

That`s my story. Perhaps your region is better, and your ideas sharper. Just make your work good.

AZ Detail
10-11-2005, 05:17 PM
I`m in North Scottsdale.

jimmybuffit
10-13-2005, 07:18 AM
I`m in my third year of a fixed location. We do 16-20 complete details per week. 3-4 workers

I`ve been "as busy as I wanna be" since the beginning.

Jim

AZ Detail
10-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Hey guys,

I`m trying to put together a proposal right now for a detail business. Could you guys give me an idea of what I would need for a startup.

Brenton
11-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Mobile or Shop business?

For my shop, which I lease for $1100/mo, these are basics, I`d like the luxury of more:

Tools:
-Printer/Fax
-Digital Camera
-DeWalt 849 Buffer
-Backing plates
-5 foam pads (Malco=Edge)
-Wool Pad (3M, double sided)
-Air Compressor
-Blow gun & air hose, tire fitting
-Shop-Vac/Blower (I have 4.5hp, you could do with more)
-lots of funnels and pumps
-about 15 spray bottles
-a whole wack of detailing brushes from the Dollar Store & detailing brushes
-wheel wash brush
-extended wash brush for high areas
-box of rags
-25 cheap microfibres
-10 plush microfibres
-3 waffle weave (Cobra)
-Califonia Water Blade
-2`x3` of Chamois
-step ladder (would love a movable staircase on wheels)
-booster cables
-metal containers/lockers for solvents (check with your insurance agent)
-I use a file cabinet on a restaurant roller wherein I keep my paint and interior products
-shelves for products
-2 heavy duty hoses
-a splitter or some form of clipping hose connection system
-hose nozzels that work
-1700PSI/1.5GPM Simoniz Pressure Washer with adjustable nozzle
-buckets for washing
-real sheep wash mitts
-detailing sponges
-bug sponges
-natural sponge for tires
-squeegee with extension
-work space counters
-scissors, tape, adhesives, markers, etc.
-screwdriver & ratchet kit for license plates
-3M masking tape
-wide painters tape

Products:
-wash soap (Meg`s Deep Crystal wash & a local product)
-paint safe degreaser for tar, bugs, etc. (I use Target by Malco)
-general degreaser 5 gal (Zep Formula 50 and a local product)--I use these at 1:1 for hd; 1:3 for wheels/engine/wheel wells; 1:5 for door jambs; I use the local product about 1:8 for interior
-aluminum acid for wheels & acid dip (Zep AlumE)
-paint cleaner & wax remover (Tumbler; DuPont; Zep ID Orange or Red)
-methyl hydrate, small container
-PB`s Bird Sh#t Remover
-Quick Detail (I like Mothers & PB`s S&W or PB`s QD+, which is now QW+)
-Clay bars--any brand is fine, I have medium & fine grit
-Use any QD diluted by half with water for clay lube, or soap and water
-Tire Shine (Zep Tireless Shine, and a local product)
-Oxi-Clean
-Dry Foam Carpet Shampoo (Zep)
-Woolite (Zero in Canada)
-Foaming Aerosol Window Cleaner (Stoner`s Invisible Glass)
-Leather Cleaner (Woolite; Meguiar`s)
-Vinyl & Plastic dressing (Local product)
-3 types of Deoderizer
-Touch up paint--I buy it as I need it according to paint code, but I also have flat black for trailer hitches, etc., and gloss black hanging around
-Cut Polish (Farecla G6; PB`s SSR2.5; a local product which is a little grittier)
-A medium polish (Farecla G10; PB`s SSR1)
-A finishing polish (a local product; PB`s Polish w/Carnauba)
-Klasse All-In-One (AIO)
-Sealants (Meg`s NXT Tech Wax; PB`s EX & EX-P; Klasse SG)
-Waxes (The Treatment; PB`s Natty`s Reg & Blue; Pinnacle Souveran)
-PB`s Wheel Sealant
-3M Metal & Chrome Polish
-X-kote Paint Renewal System

Advertising:
-2 Sandwich Boards (about $200 ea.)
-Mall sign (about $500 for the cheapie; $1500 for the dandy)
-Window vinyl lettering ($50)
-building signs (about $400x3)
-vehicle letter (about $225)
-open/closed sign
-printing & copying (about $100)
-local Trader paper (I`m trading for service, but about $200/mo in winter and $100/mo in summer)
-fees for local Chamber of Commerce, Business group, etc.

Insurance & Fees:
-shop insurance
-liability
-Transport Plate bond & license (like a repair or dealer plate)
-local registration fees & licenses

I spent about $27000 to open, but that included a dealership fee and all products. Another $3000 or so has been used to float during non-break-even months.

During summer months, I get a steady increase in business. During the fall, it levelled off, and I expect it to slow down over winter. I expect I`ll break even in the 9th or 10th month of business, but have artificially broken even this winter by renting out space to guys working on their own vehicles, assemblying cabinets, etc.

Hope that helps. I`m sure I missed stuff--these are just off the top of my head.

Aliengotpsi
11-09-2005, 09:16 PM
PEI How big is your shop? How many cars do you work on at any given time?

Brenton
11-09-2005, 09:21 PM
My shop is 1600sq.ft., about 1200 usable outside of office, storage, etc. I can fit 4-5 cars, but I really just have two "bays"--one for washing, and one for detailing. I can do on average two cars a day, but am averaging now 4/wk plus a hand wash here and there.
Right now, I am letting out space to the guys I subcontract for decals, etc. They use space a handful of times a month. I also have a guy fixing motorcycles in one corner during the winter to help pay for space.

Aliengotpsi
11-13-2005, 04:09 PM
How much do you pay for rent? I think I have around 1800 SQ feet, and pay 550.00 a month. We are doin 80 cars a month in the summer, Spring but last month id say we did 60 or so and winter will be slow.. maybe 40 cars a month.. Do you have any pics of your shop? I will take some of mine soon and post them up.

Heres my business Straightlinedetailing.com

How much $$ do you expect to gross this year if you dont mind me asking?

Brenton
11-13-2005, 04:23 PM
My shop is 1600sq.ft. $1100 including heat and lights and water and sewer. Get 6 parking spots, but could use more if I needed. Also has a central air compressor I can tap into. Your shop is cheap.
I`ve been grossing $1250-$1750/month, and it will be about $1800-$2000 this month. Probably down to $1200 through the winter. Next summer I hope to be in the $2500-$3000. So Y1 I expect to gross $30-$40,000. If so, I`ll make about -$5000 to +$5000 in wages.