PDA

View Full Version : Polishing - first timer...

Wiluven
02-20-2009, 07:34 PM
So I bought a Flex 3401, Menzerna SIP, Menzerna 106FF, and other things.

Today I polished one half of the car with SIP, wiped off with QD and then polished the other half with 106FF and did a 50/50 Alcohol/water mix. I notice on a few spots there is a `haze` that I can`t get off with the 50/50 or QD. I tried scrubbing a little harder with QD/Micro Towel and it really didn`t do anything.

Shall I just go back to it with 106FF/white pad? Any tips? Grrrr.

solekeeper
02-20-2009, 07:45 PM
The haze could be removed with a swirl mark remover/ or a finishing compound.

Correct me if I`m wrong.

RonMexico
02-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Are the "haze" spots on the side you did with SIP or 106FF?

How does the vehicle look otherwise? Were you able to acheive the results you were trying to get (absent "haze" spots)?

I had a similar question about a month ago: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/115104-hazzing-issue-meg-s-ultimate-compound.html

essentially, you need to finish up with a lesser cut polish. I`m not very familiar with Menzerna products (i.e. have not used them), but the 106FF should do the trick

Wiluven
02-20-2009, 08:41 PM
The hazing came after SIP and 106FF - my halogen light burned out so didn`t check until after 106FF was done.

I did the hood and the other side of the car yesterday and as far as I can tell - it turned out great. Few spots I should of went with a deeper cut pad (yellow instead of orange) with the SIP but it`s acceptable as I`m doing a full restoration due to previous owner. My body can`t take much more :)

The problem seems to be on the side of the car I did today. I *think* the problem (or atleast part of the problem) is that yesterday I did panel by panel. Today I did the whole right side with polish, then wiped off, then polished with 106FF and wiped off. The polish stayed on a lot longer than the side I did yesterday.