PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning neglected leather seats?

WhiteLX
02-20-2009, 01:01 AM
I am thinking about picking up these leather seats for my Merkur XR4Ti. The passenger and rear seats look great, but the driver seats shows a considerable amount of wear. I am wondering what I should use on these seats, as far as product AND tools, to clean them. I know I can`t expect them to look new again.

Sorry about the picture quality, they don`t exactly welcome cameras in the junkyard so I had to use my cell phone.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/158/5327/275740.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/158/5327/275741.jpg

I just noticed I have an old Wickes Furniture leather care kit that has some Leather Master products. It contains the leather soft cleaner, leather protection cream, and the ink remover stick.

Quality Leather
02-20-2009, 04:51 PM
The leather doesn`t look to bad. You could probably get by with a standard cleaning. If you wanted to get them a little better, then the bolsters need to be refinished. Look at some of my old posts for ideas

spencer785
02-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Ya that leather looks fine just use a regular leather cleaner

Showroom Shine
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I wish my seats were in that shape. Mine have alot of cracking. I was the 2nd owner but I have taken care of them. My seat belt straps are filthy! I have an extractor,but what is the best way to clean the seat belts?

blk45
02-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I have an extractor,but what is the best way to clean the seat belts?

From another thread:

Seat belts are a pain, especially when they are a light color. If manual cleaning doesn`t work, I like to hang them out of the door (with the door shut) and blast the heck out of them with a pressure washer (while holding them away from the vehicle). Again, make sure to dry them out thoroughly before rewinding them.

white gecko 99
02-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I know that manufactures and safety equipment places (like Stroud, Simpson, & other racing harnesses) strongly recommend against using any cleaning solutions on the belts as it can weaken the tightly knit threads. I don`t know how much of that is true, or just covering their butts,.... however I would do some research before attempting to clean the belts.

AppliedColors
02-22-2009, 12:21 AM
That seat looks generally clean and has normal wrinkling for a leather seat its age.

Cleaners and conditioners are not going to make it look new.