PDA

View Full Version : NewB needs help ASAP!!

snatchss454
02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey everyone this is my first post and I need some serious help.

This morning there was some construction causing traffic to back up right where the highway off ramp merged, well some A**HOLE cut me off and slammed on his brakes, I had barely enough time to slow it down and my front end went under his back end.

There was so much traffic coming and I was looking over my left shoulder so I could open the door without having it taken off. By the time I got out and looked forward the guy was gone.

There wasnt much damage but you can tell something happened. There was some paint transfer which I removed but there is still what looks like light scratches in the clear coat that make a discoloration. It wasnt taken down to the primer.

How can I buff this out? What products do I need? I have ZERO experience with buffing wheels, pads, compounds, polishes.. etc. I have no idea what to do..PLEASE HELP

Shane

BIOLINK
02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
I`m no expert either but based on what you stated, if it is down to the primer there will be little you can to to "buff" anything out.

On parts that are not down to the primer you may try some rubbing compound by hand (which you can pick up at a local parts store or Walmart).

The parts that are to the primer will need touch up paint. With more skills, I have seen some sand locally and re-polish to blend the repair. I saw a recent posting on just such repair. I will try to find it for you. Good Luck.

Try the link below. It may be worth your while to post a picture of the damaged area for someone with experience to evaluate. I would say be careful with what you try. Don`t make it worse.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/70028-small-how-chip-repair-wetsanding-spring-cleaning-black-g35-56k-owie.html

Bobby G
02-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Any chance you can post a close-up pic so we can see the damage?

snatchss454
02-20-2009, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. Just the clarifiy it WAS NOT taken down to the primer. Its barely noticable if your not in the right light and at right angle.

I have pics that I took last night but I was waiting until today because you could barely make the spots out in the pics because of the light. It just looks like dull spots and if you rub your hand over it it feels smooth(after cleaning and polishing) but if you use your nail you can feel the scratches.

I saw a couple package deals on here that I was thinking about buying but with so many options and such little experience I didnt know what to choose. I take great care of my cars, use the dual wash bucket method, claybar and wax, but Ive never used an orbital or rotary machine and I am a little nervous about ruining the paint.

I will have good pics for you this afternoon. Thanks for your time.

Shane

snatchss454
02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Seems my other post has been lost in the matrix. Anyway I had a email from Autopia with some discount offerings so I went ahead and purchased some new stuff:

Gilmour Foamaster Adjustable Multi Ratio Cleaning Gun #75QGFMR

32 oz. DP Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo

Sonus UDM Swirl Buster kit SON-UDMSB-KIT

Sonus Perfect Paint Finish Clay & Polish Kit SON-PPF-KIT

Sonus SFX-3 Final Finish Polish SON-430-8

Sonus Acrylic Glanz Spray Sealant SON-250

Sonus Professional Bucket SON-PROBUCKET

Sonus Ultimate Wool Wash Mitt SON-WOOLMITT

Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel, Pkg/2 SON-DWDT-2

Sonus SFX-3 Spot Pad SON-SFX-3SP

I didnt put a wax on there because I was unsure of what would be a good one to use instead I just bought the sealant. I could use a little help in that department.

Im hoping this will get rid of the front end blemishes and really make the paint pop. Anybody think of anything I might be missing that Ill need?

Thanks,

Shane

BIOLINK
02-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Looks like some good stuff.