PDA

View Full Version : Polish Systems and pads

JSFM35X
02-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I need to jump in and I am not sure what to get and why. I am just doing this for my own cars. I own a PC and an orange pad. I need to take Micro marring out from the winter. My car is a black 08 M35X. I see alot of different polishes used with good resulta on this site but there is also alot of talk about this for that type of soft or hard paint.

What should I buy?

Poorboys

Menzerna

Wolfgang

And what do i need from each manufacturer? And what pads?

Also, next issue- i have a scratch that I have built up with touch up paint. it has dried for 48 hours. Saturday I plan to wet sand it with 2000, 2500 and 3000. What do I polish that mess out with afterword? I am lost please reply specifically and reference pad color. Thanks in advance.

Please keep in mind that i am new at the polishing piece. I know wet sanding is not easy but i will have the car professionally fixed if i really mess it up and, if I learn this, it will be usefull for the future.

Thanks,

Jeff

Garry Dean
02-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Those are some tough questions to answer. You will find many mixed reviews about who likes what and why. For a newb at polishing I would recommend purchasing a white LC pad and a red LC pad for your PC. Depending on what avenue you want to go as far as where to purchase from I might suggest going to Walmart or Autozone and picking up some of Meguiars new Ultimate Compound, some Swirl X and some Scratch X. That should get you started with some decent beginner stuff.

IMO products are trial and error unfortunately. I have tried products that many give awesome reviews about and not been pleased, but on the other hand I have tried products that people just didnt like and I have liked them.

I would recommend just getting some OTC Megs as I stated above and as you get more and more into polishing just pick a line and try it out. Once you`ve tried them all, you will know what you like best.

Many people like Menzerna and the Meguiars Mirror Glaze M105 and M205.

Good luck!

JSFM35X
02-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Those are some tough questions to answer. You will find many mixed reviews about who likes what and why. For a newb at polishing I would recommend purchasing a white LC pad and a red LC pad for your PC. Depending on what avenue you want to go as far as where to purchase from I might suggest going to Walmart or Autozone and picking up some of Meguiars new Ultimate Compound, some Swirl X and some Scratch X. That should get you started with some decent beginner stuff.

IMO products are trial and error unfortunately. I have tried products that many give awesome reviews about and not been pleased, but on the other hand I have tried products that people just didnt like and I have liked them.

I would recommend just getting some OTC Megs as I stated above and as you get more and more into polishing just pick a line and try it out. Once you`ve tried them all, you will know what you like best.

Many people like Menzerna and the Meguiars Mirror Glaze M105 and M205.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions and insight.

wannafbody
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Generally match pads to the polishes being used. orange cutting pad goes with a compound. White polish pad with a polish and a finishing pad with a finishing polish or All in One.