PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Advice

putertopia
02-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Forgive me if this is in a previous thread, but I just spent 45 minutes searching the forum with no results :sadpace:

Anyhow, I do quite a bit of detailing. I detail for family, friends, and friends of friends to basically pay for all my own detailing stuff. I`m thinking about sending out at a few of my business cards to start getting some side jobs. I`m a college student, and my job (Staples) has been obviously cutting hours lately. Before I start working on other peoples cars, I need to know exactly what yields the best results. I`m a Meguiars guy, so I`m going to try to stick with them. You might be able to persuade my decision if you show me a product that seems to have great value - but don`t forget this has to be cost effective.

I own a UDM, and in the past I used three different 3M polishes (Extra-cut, Swirl Remover, and Ultrafina SE Final Glaze). They`re nice and all, but every time I use one of those three products, it seems to leave behind a foggy/greasy trail. If I go over it with quick detailer, it fixes it - but the goal of my UDM is less hand motion lol. I`ve never used a Meguiar`s glaze, but I would like to. Howbout sealants? I`ve never really incorporated a `sealant` into my detailing, other than Liquid Glass when all I`m doing is polishing and then applying a protectant. Lasts a while, seems to bring out the shine, and VERY easy to apply. I usually use NXT wax when I`m finishing up. I spray everything applicable with Accent Coating (considering water based dressing).

So, can I have some opinions on products from step 1 (claybar) to the final step (wax)? Preferably Meguiars products, but I consider myself to be still somewhat of a novice after following this site on my own vehicle for four years, so I`m open minded to the experts! TIA.

imported_User Name
02-18-2009, 10:35 PM
My preferences:

1. NXT Wash

2. Meg`s Clay Kit (although I prefer Clay Magic blue and they are about the same price).

3. M80 or M205 (also get some M105 in your arsenal for more serious correction - as most will attest to, it is quite amazing).

4. M07 (pure polish/glaze - purely an optional step).

5. NXT 2.0 x 2 coats or M21 2.0 x 2 coats

I think you`ll like your results.

nonsensez9
02-18-2009, 10:38 PM
maybe ulitmate compound would be better for UDM instead of 105(?) Similarly, Swirl-X might be better than 205 with the UDM.

Danspeed1
02-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Megs Ultimate Compound should do the trick. I just both a bottle and although I have yet to use it for a full detail, I`ve played around with a little bit and it seems like a decent substitute for the more expensive stuff.

I would suggest Collinite 845 for your LSP. Why? Its not really all that expensive, its got decent durability, its really warm and decently wet, and best of all its easy on easy off. I don`t care for it personally compared to P21s, but its a really good substitute for OTC Megs Wax.

DG

jordanrossbell
02-18-2009, 11:27 PM
There is a forum sponsor here that carries almost every, if not every Meg`s product that is around now..autodetailingsolutions is the name of the shop....with that said i would recommend the following products, you need to check out the detailer line for sure, very cost effective

Wheel Brightener

M105

M205

APC

HyperWash

Hyperdressing

Last Touch

As for your sealant goes, they have a pretty popular one...#21 2.0..i used it and didnt like it at all, very splotchy for me, but dont discount user error haha...most like it very well...also Megs #26 is a great wax for the money...

As far as general quality and price, Megs is right up there in my book...

paul32
02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
I am Paul Harris ......

Sometimes back I got my truck sprayed on with Spray on bedliner of Qwikliner.It took only few seconds to set & the quality of finish is aeesome.I will definitely on recommends qwikliner bedliners. :funnypost

User banned for shilling. -- moderator

jordanrossbell
02-18-2009, 11:42 PM
I am Paul Harris ......

Sometimes back I got my truck sprayed on with Spray on bedliner of Qwikliner.It took only few seconds to set & the quality of finish is aeesome.I will definitely on recommends qwikliner bedliners. :funnypost

WOW, thats not obvious at all...:think2

A little more creativity from these guys would be refreshing, 1st post recommending a product after an introduction, a bed liner of all things, in someone`s established thread....:beware

putertopia
02-19-2009, 12:45 AM
There is a forum sponsor here that carries almost every, if not every Meg`s product that is around now..autodetailingsolutions is the name of the shop....with that said i would recommend the following products, you need to check out the detailer line for sure, very cost effective

Where do you think I get my accent coating, wheel brightener, and where I will be getting my water based dressing? :D I`ve shopped there several times actually... I got excited when I saw the dealer line available for consumers.

putertopia
02-19-2009, 09:03 AM
So I swear I`ve shopped at that auto detailing solutions website before because that`s where I get my accent coating. But the bookmark I have looks a little different - same products though. Weird.

Anyhow, that 105/205 glaze seems to pretty much be the stuff to get from the research I`ve done on it. I think what I`ll do is get 32oz bottles of each, and if it turns out that I`ll be needing them a lot, I`ll get the gallons. The first car I`m probably going to be doing outside of the friends/family circle will be a Black E46 (I think that`s what she said) M3. I hear the paint is pretty soft on these vehicles, and she lives on a dirt road. It MAY be a good bit of work cut out for me, but she said she has her vehicle detailed annually so it sounds like she somewhat keeps on top of it. I couldn`t tell anything when I looked at it - it was covered in rock salt lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

akimel
02-19-2009, 11:00 AM
You may find of interest this article I just posted over at MOL on polishes for the dual-action polisher (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30623).

akimel
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
My preferences:

1. NXT Wash

2. Meg`s Clay Kit (although I prefer Clay Magic blue and they are about the same price).

3. M80 or M205 (also get some M105 in your arsenal for more serious correction - as most will attest to, it is quite amazing).

4. M07 (pure polish/glaze - purely an optional step).

5. NXT 2.0 x 2 coats or M21 2.0 x 2 coats

I think you`ll like your results.

:xyxthumbs

I agree with these recommendations. If you find that the M205 does not effect sufficient correction, then you can partner it with either Ultimate Compound or M105.

putertopia
02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
You may find of interest this article I just posted over at MOL on polishes for the dual-action polisher (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30623).

Awesome read, thanks a lot. I think I`ll probably just do the good old Dawn dish soap for the soap to get all the old crap off. Then clay, then M205/105 if needed. Then just straight to NXT wax. If I get a reallllly nice ride, I`ll consider ordering the M07 - but from reviews on 205 that won`t be needed.

putertopia
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
By the way... does anyone use paste wax? I`ve tried turtle wax ice (just to try it) and it left crazy residue and streaks. Took forever to clean up that Durango... but it looked pretty good after an hour of clean up work after detailing lol. Ever since then I stick with the liquid.

jordanrossbell
02-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I cant really knock the ICE paste, because i havent ever used it...but i will say that it was prolly just the ICE haha....streaking and such is not typical of all pastes, just prolly that one....i actually much prefer a paste wax...