PDA

View Full Version : Confused? Need you Guru`s to help me

Pages : [1] 2

maxepr1
02-17-2009, 01:20 PM
I have been reading this site for about the last month, just joined I think it`s great I`m learning alot but I thought I kind of new what I going to buy but after reading site for the last month I`m now not sure? I guess I`ll start with what I got . I would like to start with my rides 03 GMC Sierra 1500 White and 06 Honda Accord Metallic Gray which was totally repainted a year and half ago. Both have just minor RIDS the White truck is really clean I`m anal as my wife says it looks like an 08! The gray car (hers) has minor RIDS and lots chips on the hood and bumper and some very light scratch`s I think just in the clear. My question is what buffer do I buy? I almost pulled the trigger on a PC but after finding the site it seems like I`m going to be diappointed and end up buying a Flex 3401 later? Also LSP of polyomers vrs wax`s ? All the steps in between there are so many product out there I`m not sure where to go? Do I need 2 different types of products 1 for the white truck and another for the Dark gray Metallic? I`m confused? I`ve been told I am a perfectionist and I need help! So my theropist told me to hang around normal people, they`ll rub off! So I found the best medicine THIS SITE! lol We all suffer from he same sickness PERFECTION and I`m not ashamed of it. Thanks for platform to babble hope you guys can steer me in the right direction!

Accumulator
02-18-2009, 11:21 AM
.. My question is what buffer do I buy? I almost pulled the trigger on a PC but after finding the site it seems like I`m going to be diappointed and end up buying a Flex 3401 later?

I`d just get the Flex 3401 now. Doing the GMC via PC would be quite an undertaking.

Also LSP of polyomers vrs wax`s ? All the steps in between there are so many product out there I`m not sure where to go?

Some waxes (e.g., Collinite) are at least as durable/etc. as polymer sealants. You can keep this stuff very simple and still get great results: polish out the marring (RIDS/swirls/etc.) and then wax it.

Do I need 2 different types of products 1 for the white truck and another for the Dark gray Metallic? I`m confused?

What each vehicle will need depends on how hard their paint is (the repainted Honda is a wildcard as you just never know with repaints). The GMC will need two polishes, an aggressive one and a milder follow-up.

I`d go with Meguiar`s M105 followed by their M205. Then I`d apply some Collinite wax (or the infinitely less durable, but very user-friendly Meguiar`s NXT v2.0).

maxepr1
02-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks Accumulator, can I buy smaller backing plate for say headlight polishing and tighter areas for the flex??

Accumulator
02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks Accumulator, can I buy smaller backing plate for say headlight polishing and tighter areas for the flex??

Unfortunately, no. That`s one of the (few) downsides to that machine.

But note that IME you seldom really *need* smaller pads in an absolute sense. You can use the outer portion/edge of a larger pad for some stuff and mask areas not-to-be-worked in other cases. No, it`s not optimal, but overall I don`t think it`s enough of a downside to tilt the balance over in favor of a PC if you`re only gonna buy one machine. But hey, that`s just IMO and different people have different preferences.

The few times I`ve tried to correct GM clear via PC (on a rent-a-Suburban and my `04 DenaliXL), it was pretty frustrating to say the least. While it *will* do the job with 4" pads, I just don`t consider the PC the best tool for the job in most cases even though the ability to use small pads *is* a nice, handy feature.

My only concerns with the Flex 3401 (and with recommending them) is that there seems to be a bit of a failure rate :think: I dunno if people are abusing them, or if they released a bad batch, or what, but they do seem to die more often than a lot of other machines. Still, I stand by my recommendation and just suggest that you buy one *new* from a reputable vendor (i.e., not buy one used off fleabay).

Bullitt
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
I`m with Accumulator
I`d go with Meguiar`s M105 followed by their M205. Then I`d apply some Collinite wax (or the infinitely less durable, but very user-friendly Meguiar`s NXT v2.0).

You can`t go wrong with the m105/205 combo.I previously was using M84, and I loved the look, but it was just way more work to finish down than the m105 imo. I just did my DD Metallic Gray Honda Civic that was marred and swirl ridden and the 105 alone made it look LSP ready, but I always still go to the m205 to polish down and bring out the luster.. I then top it off with Megs Yellow Brazilian Carnauba. I achieved this all via Dewalt rotary, but get great results with my Cyclo too. I want to look into Collinite because I hear you can get it at some local stores, but I forgot which ones. Good luck.

bwalker25
02-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Accumulator has always given solid advice!

If you do get the M105/M205 get the sample sizes from ADS (autodetailingsolutions.net). cheaper to get samples incase you dont like the products.

Check into menzerna products also :) I just wish menzerna offered sample sizes....

BigJimZ28
02-18-2009, 05:18 PM
I just wish menzerna offered sample sizes....

smaller then the 16 oz.?

WhiteStripes
02-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Accumulator is definitely a Guru, pay close attention to what he says haha.

And with that regard, yes it`s a lot more of an initial investment, but the Flex is so worth the extra cash over the PC. I`m one of those, got a PC, but wishes he splurged for the Flex guys haha.

maxepr1
02-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks Accumulator, I think you convinced me to go with the Flex.

maxepr1
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Bullity did you machine on/off the wax or do it by hand?

maxepr1
02-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I`m with Accumulator

You can`t go wrong with the m105/205 combo.I previously was using M84, and I loved the look, but it was just way more work to finish down than the m105 imo. I just did my DD Metallic Gray Honda Civic that was marred and swirl ridden and the 105 alone made it look LSP ready, but I always still go to the m205 to polish down and bring out the luster.. I then top it off with Megs Yellow Brazilian Carnauba. I achieved this all via Dewalt rotary, but get great results with my Cyclo too. I want to look into Collinite because I hear you can get it at some local stores, but I forgot which ones. Good luck.

Bullitt, went to harbor freight today they have Collinite for $6 not sure how big a bottle, they were out? That`s cheap to try it out. I think you have HF in Houston? If not let me know I can get?

bwalker25
02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
didn`t know about the 16oz sizes.....I assumed....well you know what happens when you assume....

Bullitt
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info on the Collinite, we have a Harbor Freight a mile from where I live.Ill check it out tomorrow before I take care of a client. As for how I apply my LSP, I personally like applying it via Cyclo with white pads because I end up using less product, but I also hand wax,especially when a client demands it. I would write more on this subject, but typing on the blackberry is giving me headaches.

maxepr1
02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Bullitt let me know how many oz.s the bottle is?? Thanks

Accumulator
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Bullitt, went to harbor freight today they have Collinite for $6 not sure how big a bottle, they were out? That`s cheap to try it out. I think you have HF in Houston? If not let me know I can get?

Collinite is available from many of the big online vendors (e.g., Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing, Auto Detailing Supplies, Auto Detailing Equipment, Auto Detailing Products, & Auto Detailing Accessories for all your Automobile Detailing (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ) and directly from Collinite (Collinite Wax ProductsÂ` :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial (http://www.collinite.com) ).

I`m guesing you`re interested in the liquid 845 Insulator Wax, right?

Whatever size the bottle is (pretty sure it`s 16 oz. but sorry, don`t feel like running out to the shop through the snow to check it) it`s worth whatever you pay for it. Unless you spill it or apply it goofy-thick it oughta last for years.

845 works fine by hand or machine and has never stained trim IME (I *use* it on black plastic trim quite often).