PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning - I`m thinkin Castrol Super Clean? Am I on the right track?

Danspeed1
02-17-2009, 12:41 PM
So winter is getting long around here. Can`t wait to get my Impala back out and on the road full time again. For the time being I have been driving my Monte Carlo which has 200K on it. But I am getting awfully tired smelling that heavy scent of burning motor oil coming through the vents. The car has the 3.4L DOHC engine that leaks like a crazy, as they all seem to. The engine is caked in grease and soaked in oil.

To boot the wheels are also pretty bad. We`re talking an entire winter of brake dust on them. I don`t want to waste my P21s on this car... my P21s is worth more. I am also looking to give a new APC a try. I have been doing some reading and there appears to be only 6 threads on this stuff. All six rave about the product, but i just want to be sure before I go crazy with it on the wheels and engine that its not going to eat the wheels up (don`t care so much how the engine looks).

What are you thoughts on using this product as a heavy duty wheel cleaner for heavily soiled wheels, and as an engine degreaser to be used on this car and others?

Dan

imported_etml12
02-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Well, it certainly is some strong stuff. It is sodium hydroxide based, no? Same stuff used in oven cleaner and drain openers. I wouldn`t use it on bare aluminum as it can/will etch. Painted surfaces and more delicate materials are likely a no no as well.

Danspeed1
02-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Looks like its a couple of cans of B52 and P21s on the wheels

DG

BigJimZ28
02-18-2009, 02:43 PM
if the engine is that bad spend the $2 on some Gunk foamy engine bright

F.Y.I.

the LT1 in your SS is the easiest engine to damage with water

it is very easy to kill off the opti-spark (but if it`s origional it prob time to replace it any way)

Danspeed1
02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
F.Y.I.

the LT1 in your SS is the easiest engine to damage with water

it is very easy to kill off the opti-spark (but if it`s origional it prob time to replace it any way)

I know,... but not to worry,... the engine compartment in my SS is so clean you could eat off of it. This is my 95 Monte Carlo that needs the engine cleaning, and its filthy.

DG

BigJimZ28
02-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I know,... but not to worry,... the engine compartment in my SS is so clean you could eat off of it. This is my 95 Monte Carlo that needs the engine cleaning, and its filthy.

DG

:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
02-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Danspeed1- IF the Monte is *that* nasty, you might give a little thought to the run-off. Once you emulsify all that [stuff] it`s gonna end up *someplace*.