PDA

View Full Version : Collinite?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

imported_YseanY
02-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I`ve been a long time Zaino user, but I`m thinking of trying something new. It seems like people have good results with Collinite. The shine is suppose to be good and it seems to outlast most (if not, any) wax/sealant. But I was wondering if there is any negative aspect about the product? Is it easy to apply? Streaks easily? I know it won`t give me the depth of some carnauba, but that`s not high on my list; I`m looking for durability, shine, protection, and ease of use. I love to keep my cars clean, but I dread the long hours needed to clean, prep, and seal the paint.

I do remember hearing/reading something about Collinite not reacting will to heat? It melts/cakes onto the paint when the weather gets really warm (I`m in Socal)? Is this true?

Lastly, which series should I try, 845, 915, or 476s? The 845 is a liquid wax so I would assume it is easier to apply?

JSFM35X
02-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I`ve been a long time Zaino user, but I`m thinking of trying something new. It seems like people have good results with Collinite. The shine is suppose to be good and it seems to outlast most (if not, any) wax/sealant. But I was wondering if there is any negative aspect about the product? Is it easy to apply? I know it won`t give me the depth of some carnauba, but I`m looking for durability, shine, protection, and ease of use. I love to keep my cars clean, but I dread the long hours needed to clean, prep, and seal the paint.

I do remember hearing/reading something about Collinite not reacting will to heat? It melts/cakes onto the paint when the weather gets really warm (I`m in Socal)? Is this true?

Lastly, which series should I try, 845, 915, or 476s? The 845 is a liquid wax so I would assume it is easier to apply?

I use colonite 845IW. Easy on and off. No issues in hot NY summers. Last like crazy. I cannot think of a negative. Its relativly cheap, put on thin coats as they are easier to remove and yeild equal protection. I cannot think of a Negative. I have tried loads of more expensive products and the 845 is among the tops in protection and looks.

On a show car, you may get a more "true" reflection with a sealant. I have a black car that I try to maintain a show car shine on and I use the Ultima Paint Guard Plus. But for my other vehicles I use the 845IW. Last at least as long and application of 845 simple and goof proof.

I hear that some of the paste waxes from colonite may last longer (Fleet Wax), but they are a pain to buff off and dust alot. Not worth it for me. The 845 lasts 6 months easy. I can deal with doing the car 2x a year.

Cant go wrong with 845!

imported_mobenzowner
02-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I agree with JSFM that Collinite 845 is very easy to use and will offer great durability. But even 845`s look and durability are enhanced with proper prep beforehand. Some on this forum have reportedly had poor bonding when applied to a surface not properly prepared. I have never experienced this however, but certainly dont doubt those stating they have. I have both 845 and 885(fleetwax) and like them both alot. I get a tad more durability out of the 885, but like JSFM said, the 845 is easier to use and 4 to 6 months durability sure ain`t bad.

wannafbody
02-16-2009, 04:05 PM
845 is a good product but IME Zaino lasts longer and has more shine.

mborner
02-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Zaino user here, also. (former). Loved Zaino. Couldn`t find a better reflection out there. Then, it was discovered, through experience, that Zaino wasn`t doing it for me when environmental protection was a concern. I had to do something to protect my cars so I switched to 845. Couldn`t be happier. It`s easier to apply than zaino and if it`s applied thin enough, it`s easier to remove. You cannot apply 845 too thin. Water beads like mad and nearly all dust and dirt will literally rinse right off. Keep in mind, also, that proper prep is key and if done properly, 845 can look as good as any other premium wax. I really don`t miss the look of Zaino. I still use Z6 and Z8. Magnificent products.

oeklm
02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
I live in NY and would rather have durability over anything....i just picked up some 845 because of all the reviews of durability.... i got some 476s too because collinite is so cheap.... would it make no sense to top 845 with 476 rather than 2 coats of 845?

tom p.
02-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Prep your surface and finish off with two quick coats of 476S, oeklm. Then you`ll really have something.

imported_smprince1
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I`ve only used their IW845 liquid.

Only negatives I can think of are it has a strong solvent smell and it is very thin/watery so you need to get used to that.

Other than that, I find it spreads forever and ever, easy on/easy off, very durable, and pretty decent looks.

Overall, a pretty good product.

oeklm
02-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Prep your surface and finish off with two quick coats of 476S, oeklm. Then you`ll really have something.

hmmm interesting... is 476 really that much more difficult for application/removal than 845?

eyezack87
02-16-2009, 05:33 PM
hmmm interesting... is 476 really that much more difficult for application/removal than 845?

My NXT definition of "thin" was not the same for 476 when I first used it. I`ve used it twice but for ease of use I prefer 845. My 476 is just sitting in my wax display now haha :2thumbs:

That first time with 476 was horrible to tell you the least. I used 2L of Last Touch to get it off safely :aww:

jDizzle
02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
i used collinite for the first time a few weeks ago, i heard it was a pain to use but lasted a long time.. but if you put if on thin (as everyone told me to) , its nice and easy to apply and remove.. i used 476, and it wasnt bad at all.. beading is impressive to say the least.. ive got 2 coats on 476 over klasse AIO.

imported_YseanY
02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
thanks for all the fast responses! i think i might just pick up a 476 and 845 to try out and see which one suits me better (since they`re relatively cheap).

i definitely understand the importance of preping! is collinite a synthetic wax/sealant? should this be applied on bare paint to bond properly? i think zaino wants the Z5/Z2 to be applied on bare/clean paint for it to bond correctly, is this the case for collinite too?

imported_User Name
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I use both 845 and 476s. 845 is IMO a MUCH MUCH better product.

I like 476s, but 845 is better because it is much easier to apply/remove, where if you run even a tad thick on the 476s, it is really tough to remove. 845 goes on like a dream comes off like a dream.

Durability is about the same for both but my experience is that the claims of six month durability are exaggerated in a big way. Not sure how they`ll do in SoCal, but in the Northeast during the winter months, I can`t get more than about 8 weeks for either (maybe a bit more but that would be pushing it).

As far as looks are concerned they look as good as anything I`ve seen them compared to (including Victoria`s Red, KSG, PB EX-P, Natty`s Blue, NXT 2.0, Pete`s 53, Surf City Nano Seal & Barrier Reef).

Obviously that added plus is the price. Dollar for dollar 845 is right near the top of my list.

tsantoro
02-16-2009, 06:33 PM
I`ve used Zaino for 12 years and early last November I tried 845 (one coat) on my wife`s Murano and it`s beading as well as the five coats of Z2 on my Lexus. Both cars were prepped indentically. I am truly impressed.

RIDDLE
02-16-2009, 06:37 PM
its not a big deal but it helps if you wear some latex gloves when you apply 845- the smell and residue can kinda linger on your hands