PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

AcuraYYZ
02-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Is it nessessary to dry the car prior to starting the claying process? I`ve never clayed before and would like to give it a shot. I`ve already found a bottle of Meg`s QD which will work as the lube. Now I need to find the clay. Eshine has them but I`m not sure I want to spend $25 when I can get a kit for $26 which includes lube and bars (Mother`s smooth service). Is there anywhere I can buy just the clay bars in person. CT and Walmart only have the kids.

Would you suggest using Scratch X by hand on the whole car to try and clean up whatever small swirls I may have? I don`t have a rotory, nor am I looking to do major correction.

Thanks

Josh :buffing:

ZoomBoy
02-16-2009, 08:52 AM
You`re fine with an OTC clay kit. I`ve used both Mothers and Meg`s from Canadian Tire in the past, the lube goes by quickly though so be prepared to possibly buy another bottle.

I now you Sonus clay, but in all honesty they work all the same pretty much.

And in terms of drying your car, you don`t have to. Water isn`t really enough of a clay lube on its own, but very soapy water should be good - although you`ll definitely have to clean the car off after the claying process.

AcuraYYZ
02-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Do you know where I can source clay in person besides buying a kit?

ZoomBoy
02-16-2009, 09:16 AM
No idea really, I`ve only ever bought kits from CT and online from Eshine. They don`t sell it individually at CT?

AcuraYYZ
02-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Nope. Just the $30 kits from Mothers and Megs. I`d rather not buy a kit if I can get the lube for $7 a bottle @ Walmart (Meguiars QD). If I buy the clay from Eshine I`m going to pay like $7 for shipping and it`s just not worth it. Hey, maybe I could just clay the car with Play-Doe like someone said they saw their neighbour doing! haha

wascallyrabbit
02-16-2009, 09:30 AM
you could try one of the local auto body supply shops near you they usually carry clay. my local shop carries the 3m clay in 400 gram bar.

AcuraYYZ
02-16-2009, 10:08 AM
How about the ScratchX. When it gets warm I plan to wash the car by hand (2 buckets), clay it, do the scratch-x and then put collinite on. I was just thinking the scratch-x might help whatever small swirls I might have. Is there anything wrong with applying it to the whole car by hand or should I just do the areas with visible swirling?

BigJimZ28
02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
How about the ScratchX. When it gets warm I plan to wash the car by hand (2 buckets), clay it, do the scratch-x and then put collinite on. I was just thinking the scratch-x might help whatever small swirls I might have. Is there anything wrong with applying it to the whole car by hand or should I just do the areas with visible swirling?

no there is nothing wrong with it but...

1.) you don`t just apply it it need to be worked in

2.) it is a TON of work, a VERY hard job by hand

3) if I had to do it by hand I would try meg new swirl x

and plan on doing one pannel at a time over several weekends

AcuraYYZ
02-16-2009, 10:21 AM
What about the orange bottle Scratch Doctor by hand?

titsataki
02-16-2009, 10:37 AM
you can buy clay on ebay.

I got a whole bunch of it. So I should be set for a while.

Cheers

ZoomBoy
02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Just bite the bullet and buy the kit from Megs at CT, it`s $30 yes but you get a bottle of clay lube in it, as well as polish IIRC. It all adds up to be the same if you bought everything individually.