PDA

View Full Version : Help with stains on wheels

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hank3
02-16-2009, 01:40 AM
I just purchased a used set of RX-8 wheels. The seller didn`t know what the stain was, but I have learned from a car forum that it could be acid etch? I`m trying to avoid re-painting them since I spent a good deal of money getting them already. I was thinking it may be possible to get rid of the stains, but after someone said it could be acid etch and doing some brief research, it seems that this stain is pretty much next to impossible to remove - especially if it`s been on the wheel for a long time. Before I succumb to that conclusion, I was wondering if any one here could recommend some things I could try before I resort to repainting them. I only have one picture of the stain right now as my friend will be bringing them to me Monday night - and it`s the wheel with the worst stains. TIA for any advice/help :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Hank3/wheel.jpg

OCKlasse
02-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Own a buffer?

Altered-Image
02-16-2009, 06:42 AM
that does look like the adverse effects of improper use of acid. However its not an etch. It looks like what happened was the wheel wasnt thoroughly rinsed after the acid was applied. What you are seeing is either brake dust from behind the spoke that ran down after the wheel was rinsed, or some road grime from the lugnut cavaties. Another acid wash and a good thorough rinse will take care of that.

Hank3
02-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Nope. Don`t own a buffer - just good-ole fashioned elbow grease.

Don`t know if I feel comfortable using acid. Would I be able to request that at a car washing place? You think clay bar and some polish would be able to get it out?

Setec Astronomy
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Could be what Altered Image says, but it also looks like it could be some dressing runoff.

Danspeed1
02-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the wheels are "clear coated" you should be able to use some P21s on them, or carefully use some simple green... wash them real good, wet sand them with 2500-3000 grit, and then polish them out. At least, that`s where i would start.... but I am not expert on wheels.

DG

Altered-Image
02-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the wheels are "clear coated" you should be able to use some P21s on them, or carefully use some simple green... wash them real good, wet sand them with 2500-3000 grit, and then polish them out. At least, that`s where i would start.... but I am not expert on wheels.

DG

Seems like an awful lot of steps to take.

I don`t know of any carwashes that deal with acid, however truck washes are a different story

TSIBrian
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
If you don`t want to go the acid route you could try claying them. I use meguiars aggressive clay for wheels and have yet to see a stain it won`t take out.

Hank3
02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Got the wheels tonight and I didn`t really have any time to work on them. Probably won`t until this weekend. I tried clay bar and it didn`t work. Tried some wax/polish but to no avail. Lastly, the only thing I had left was some automotive grade Simple Green. I diluted some with water and scrubbed the rim...same result. So I guess it`ll have to be something heavier duty.

XRL
02-16-2009, 10:13 PM
I`d say sand `em and paint them. Save yourself the hassle, ya know?

Hank3
02-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Only thing is about re-painting them is that this wheel color is somewhat limited as far as RX-8 rims go. I would have a local wheel repair place paint them and it would cost a good amount.

tom p.
02-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Hank, I`ve seen this before when wheel cleaners were not properly rinsed and then the car was left to sit (in the garage) for a long period before it was driven again. In some cases the paint was gone...this case doesn`t appear that severe.

I`d try different polishes to see if you can minimize the effect. Re-finishing would be the "Plan B".

I bought a set of MBz wheels off eBay a few years ago to serve as winter wheels. It looked like somebody took a can of brake cleaner to clean the wheels. Much staining but it didn`t originate at the lip of the rim...it was all over the wheel. I was able to do a bit of polishing to lessen the effect. Over time the stains have become more obvious and a complete re-finishing is the only way to recover.

Hank3
02-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Any recommendations on what kind of polish? Preferably something I can get locally at Pep Boys, Autozone, or something of the like.

Altered-Image
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM
is it wrong that im so frustrated by the fact that some members on here are actually considering refinishing these wheels the proper solution versus acid?:hairpull

WhiteStripes
02-18-2009, 12:47 AM
is it wrong that im so frustrated by the fact that some members on here are actually considering refinishing these wheels the proper solution versus acid?:hairpull

Actually man, I`d say no, because I`ve seen you recommend this in more than one thread and seen the person just brush it off. Seems like a very logical step to me.