PDA

View Full Version : California Blades

shadow85
02-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Whats the differencde between the The Original California "Water" Blade and The Original California "Dry" Blade? The "Dry Blade" seems to cost less.

Alfisti
02-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Don`t know, but I just bought an Autoglym Hi-Tech Flexi Water Blade (which actually is the California Water Blade printed on it) and I don`t like it.

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/images/products/tnw189h0xy-HTFWB.jpg

Autoglym - car cleaning products, car care products, car valeting, car detailing (http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=HI&Range=1)

Tried it once and it just squeeled running over my paint work while drying. It created too much friction and I feel that will compromise the LSP, just as a leather chamois does.

Danspeed1
02-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Tried it once and it just squeeled running over my paint work while drying. It created too much friction and I feel that will compromise the LSP, just as a leather chamois does.

I agree, although it is still worth having and does have a purpose. I use them pre-detail to dry off a car quick. If I am doing a dawn wash before I am getting ready to compound and polish, I usually dry the car off with mine. It can get a car dry in 30 seconds flat, but their is no doubt in my mind that it marrs the finish.

DG

Lumadar
02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
They will very easily scratch your paint. If you have ANY trace dirt on the surface while drying it will drag it across your paint leaving straight-line scratches.

I learned the hard way when I was 17...

kreativ
02-15-2009, 12:33 AM
Whats the differencde between the The Original California "Water" Blade and The Original California "Dry" Blade? The "Dry Blade" seems to cost less.

I have a Water Blade and saw the Dry Blade at the store today. It`s just a smaller version of the Water Blade.

I only use mine on windows. For drying the car, I use a stream of water to get it to sheet off the car, and then use Eagle One Wax-as-u-dry as a drying agent. Works great.

MichaelM
02-15-2009, 03:37 PM
If you have ANY trace dirt on the surface while drying it will drag it across your paint leaving straight-line scratches....

Same goes for anything you drag across dirty paint.

You shouldn`t be getting any noise when using one of these blades. If you are you need to use less pressure or more of an angle or you`ve hit an area that`s too dry for it to work the way it is intended. IMO they should only be used to remove a bulk of the rinse water off a surface, not drips. Just a time saver really. When used correctly they are perfectly safe.

Junebug
02-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I agree with Michael - I`ve used one to knock the majority of water off and finish with a soft CG MF towel for years with no issues.

autoconcierge
02-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Their newer "jelly blade" is much softer and more flexible, when used properly there will be no marring.

I have used the jelly blade on black Rolls Phantoms and uber soft BMW paints with no issues to date.

Lumadar
02-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Same goes for anything you drag across dirty paint.

Of course, fully agree. But let`s not forget traditional drying methods (thick, plush towels, waffle weave microfibers, etc) all have a place for the dirt that was missed in the wash and rinse to go, still allowing you to dry the paint without scratching.

A good, soft, plush drying towel (several types) will always be safer than a water blade for that reason. Well, that`s my take anyway...

:grinno:

Glossequation
02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
The blade doesn`t cause any issues. If it did for you, you weren`t using it right. I`ve been using it for years without any issue. I don`t need a microfiber to sop up all that water and become 5 times as heavy.

For those that are getting marring, you are either not using it right or are paranoid.

Junebug
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Quote - For those that are getting marring, you are either not using it right or are paranoid.

OR - they didn`t rinse completely before drying.

shadow85
02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Thank you everyone. I got the Jelly blade. My impression? Well, looks like I will be keeping it for windows only. They seem to do a nice job. Also, seems like the surface has to be pretty wet for it to not squeel.

I will keep this thing around.

STSInNYC
02-25-2009, 12:55 AM
We`ve been using the Water Blade for sometime, no problems at all. Very helpful for washing during winter when I have to hustle to get the water off before it freezes.