PDA

View Full Version : extractors vs. steamers

Pages : [1] 2

A.P.D.
02-13-2009, 12:52 AM
:nixweiss what do you guys find to give better results?

if i own a extractor should i buy a steamer for seat belts and headliners?

if i only need it for seat blets and head liners could i buy a cheap one for these problems?

Accumulator
02-13-2009, 11:08 AM
A.P.D.- Much as I hate to suggest the dreaded search, there are some threads where we really beat this one to death.

IME/IMO they are two completely different machines that do two completely different things so it`s not an either/or situation. IF you need one or the other (or both) then that`s that. I wouldn`t want to be without either.

I bet a small steamer would be handy, if only for stuff like what you`re considering. But heh heh, you might find yourself thinking that you`d really like a bigger/better one after a while ;)

Be careful with the really cheap ones, I`ve had them break in ways that burned me but good.

DrivingImpressions
02-13-2009, 01:30 PM
I totally agree with Accumulator. They both have different applications. You will find that the small steamer will not be enough. I personally, if had to choose one OR the other, would go with the steamer. BUT a high quality steamer. You will find tons of information on both when you search them. Good luck in your decision.

David Fermani
02-13-2009, 02:11 PM
I wouldn`t use either one on a headliner.

AeroCleanse
02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I would get a good steamer before I got a hot water extractor.

A.P.D.
02-13-2009, 03:57 PM
thank you guys for the response. question why would you buy a steamer b4 a extrator ?

smokin180
02-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Extractor only does one thing. A steamer can do many jobs.

A.P.D.
02-13-2009, 07:57 PM
sorry 4 so many questions but what are the uses for the steamer?

Lumadar
02-14-2009, 05:01 AM
I got the Bissell Little Green Cleaning Machine Pro Heat model ($90~ new) for my extractor, and a high-end steamer ($700) as well. This way I have my bases covered no matter what the job throws at me...I definitely find uses for BOTH tools.

imported_smprince1
02-14-2009, 07:28 AM
I think they are different tools and perform different tasks.

For example, to deep clean heavily soiled carpets I think an extractor is best suited to do this. A steamer simply can`t do that as well IMO because the extractor injects pressurize liquid to loosen/lift the deep dirt and powerfully vacuums the dirty solution up/away from the carpet backing and pile.

For example, I find a steamer is very effective to clean dried coffee/soda stains from deep in the bottom of cup holders. An extractor has no function here.

Just my 2 cents :)

Accumulator
02-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Extractor only does one thing...

But note that when you really *need* to do that one thing, it`s about the only game in town ;) I use my extractors a *lot* more than my steamers, especially around the house...but YMMV as I guess we`re all dealing with different situations.

I wouldn`t use either one on a headliner.

Better off using lower-moisture approaches, huh? I will admit I`ve used the steamer on a few, when I really needed to get aggressive (relatively speaking).

what are the uses for the steamer?

Short version:

1) for emulsifying messes via the combo of high temp + moisture

2) for cleaning with less residual moisture than plain/colder water

3) for blasting stuff clean/out with the steamer`s pressure

4) for cleaning with high enough temp to kill off (some?) micro-organisms

Note that the high temp/pressure features can bite ya if you misuse the thing.

AeroCleanse
02-14-2009, 01:46 PM
I got the Bissell Little Green Cleaning Machine Pro Heat model ($90~ new) for my extractor, and a high-end steamer ($700) as well. This way I have my bases covered no matter what the job throws at me...I definitely find uses for BOTH tools.

For a steamer $700 is on the low end, as there are $10,000 units.

Lumadar
02-14-2009, 02:39 PM
For a steamer $700 is on the low end, as there are $10,000 units.

For a mobile detailer, $700 is a high-end steamer :D For more industrial applications, yeah, $10,000 for a steamer would be considered high-end. But I always considered the entry-level $600-900 steamers to be a high-end unit contextually speaking for a detailer, when compared to the $90-125 dollar "Shark" units etc.

guan_shine
02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
so where i could get one guys? i wanna invest one from$600-$1200, i can"t wait

imported_Denzil
02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
You don`t necessarily need expensive steamer units to get the job done. You can actually use those "Shark"-like units like the SteamFast SF-275 with similar results. Those more expensive units just make it easier and faster for the user.