PDA

View Full Version : Removing paint transfer from scraping a poll

Pages : [1] 2

kreativ
02-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Can you guys recommend a product from an auto parts store (e.g. Kragen, Pep Boys, Autozone) that does a decent job of removing paint transfer from scraping a poll?

I tried what i had at hand (Blue Coral scratch remover and Klasse AIO) and was only able to take off a little of the white paint from the poll.

imported_etml12
02-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I would have thought the Klasse would take care of it. Have you tried clay? Also, any prep solvent should make quick work of it.

Lumadar
02-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Clay bar is a great option too.

WhiteStripes
02-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Green Side of a dish sponge.

Lol kidding, do not get one near your car haha.

I`d think clay would too, maybe try one of the more aggressive ones?

imported_Sludge
02-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Lacquer thinner does a quick job.

Before

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/Sludge2008/IMG_0553.jpg

After lacquer thinner, marks left are scrapes.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/Sludge2008/IMG_0554.jpg

Hope this helps, the paint on this car was from a white, wooden pole.

IBStoney1
02-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Those transfers look like they will catch your fingernail going across them and being that deep it is a repaint.

imported_Yal
02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Aw man that Ellie looks bad :( I have something similar on my Suby but it didn`t go through the paint and it didn`t dent but I`ve got the white markings. I haven`t tackled it yet but I will use clay and then some optimum polish on the PC.

Setec Astronomy
02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I hate to point this out, but the pictures of that Honda Element were posted by Sludge as an example of what laquer thinner can do on paint transfer, NOT PICTURES OF THE OP`S PROBLEM! (unless I have completely misunderstood what is going on)

Accumulator
02-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Clay. IF that doesn`t work a solvent. If that doesn`t work a paint cleaner. IF that doesn`t work a polish/compound/wetsanding as required.

Note that if the panel has been repainted (even, perhaps, post production/pre-delivery work that you might not know about) the lacquer thinner will take that paint off along with the transfer. Not all that likely, but still...

imported_Sludge
02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I hate to point this out, but the pictures of that Honda Element were posted by Sludge as an example of what laquer thinner can do on paint transfer, NOT PICTURES OF THE OP`S PROBLEM! (unless I have completely misunderstood what is going on)

SA,

You are correct. :bigups

I took no more that 2-3 minutes with a damp rag to remove the paint using lacquer thinner. The marks left polished out with M95, the dent and rust remain today. Fortunately it is not my car. :)

reggie11
02-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I had a similar problem and I wet sanded it (3000 grit) and it cleaned it right up.

I also had some luck with the lacquer thinner on a similar issue (not as bad as the one I solved with wetsanding). If it is a small area qtips work great!

kreativ
02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
I got a Mother`s clay bar kit at Kragen today, but was only able to take off 1/3rd of the paint transfer using it. I think I may try lacquer thinner next.

Brand new car, so I`m bummed. :(

az57chevy
02-13-2009, 12:03 AM
You could try rubbing compound and then polish it back up

kreativ
02-13-2009, 12:35 AM
You could try rubbing compound and then polish it back upAny particular rubbing compound, or just whatever the auto parts store has?

I saw this when I was at the store getting the clay bar:

Quixx Paint Scratch Remover (http://www.amazon.com/Quixx-00070-US-Paint-Scratch-Remover/dp/B000UVUAFO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

Lumadar
02-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Any particular rubbing compound, or just whatever the auto parts store has?

I saw this when I was at the store getting the clay bar:

Quixx Paint Scratch Remover (http://www.amazon.com/Quixx-00070-US-Paint-Scratch-Remover/dp/B000UVUAFO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound will offer the safest, yet most effective option as it leaves a LSP ready surface almost every time.

I used the stuff recently to remove wet sanding marks and it was awesome. Took them out in a single application. :spot