PDA

View Full Version : Tips for 2008 Jerez Black M3

harpafou2
02-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Hello everyone.

A little background on the car.

2008 Jerez Black M3, Bought it new, was on the lot from March 2008 to January19th 2009. It is in need of swirl and spider web scratch correction all over the car.

I have used Zanio products in the past (2006) and haven`t really been into taking great care of my cars in the past few years. However, with the purchase of the Black M3, a color I said I`d never own because it`s a full time job, I am now looking to get back into taking really good care of the paint, as well as the rest of the car.

So, here is what I am looking for, I would like, hopefully, a lot of tips and info from others who have experience with this color on this car. As well as what anyone can offer in general, I have been doing a lot of reading on process and products as well as tools and here is what I have so far.

I purchased a Flex 3401 that came with one each CCS foam pads, White, Orange, Super Soft Gold. I am interested in the new Kompressor pads and would like feed back on how many and what type of pads would be good to have. As well as a way to clean them.

I have a Makita Rotary, model 9207 SPC with three old wool pads for compound/general purpose use. The backing plate on the Makita is a Schlegel Buffs Velcro . I`d like to update to some foam pads for this and am looking for recommrndations.

As far as product...this makes my head spin,:help: LOL. Right now I have such a hodge posh of products but the newest stuff I have is over the counter stuff.

I purchased some Megs NXT line, wax/sealant, Detail spray and spray wax. I have the older NXT wax as well as the newer 2.0 stuff. I also have the Megs Ultimate compound and Swirl X. I can purchase the professional line of Megs products from a local auto parts (Monument car parts) but I am open to a lot of the stuff I read here that you are all using. I would like help putting together a line of products that fit my needs as opposed to a kit put togther by a company unless one that is offered is a good starting point.

I would like suggestions on product and tools for:

Washing

Drying

Paint, correction, protection and future protection.

interior care for leather

Glass

Rims

Tires

Trim

and anything else I have forgotten.

Thanks in advance of all the feed back and I will be sure to post picture before and after as I enjoy what other have shared here.

I`d like to add, I will also be applying the new products and knowledge to the upkeep of a;

1970 Mach 1 finished in 2007 Lexus Gray with Black stripe

2007 Alloy Shelby Mustang GT500 with Satin Silver Stripes

2008 Dark Blue Pearl Clearcoat Metallic.

As well as the 2008 Jerez Black M3

John

harpafou2
02-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Did I post in the wrong spot or are my questions and requests to much? :nixweiss

dublifecrisis
02-12-2009, 01:31 PM
it`s a lot to swallow. I don`t have any experience with black BMW paint but I`ve read some scary stories, particularly on Jet Black.

You can get by with the OTC products, especially if you can get your hands on the pro-line/mirror glaze stuff btu a lot of people will tell you to throw all that stuff in teh garbage if you`re really serious. With you having all those other cars and the fact that you splurged on a Flex etc...I tend to think you should go with some more of the boutique products as well.

Mpr3sed
02-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Hi John, I have an E92 M3 in Interlagos Blue myself; best car I`ve ever owned. Like all the other OCD car care enthusiasts here, I try a lot of different products, but these are some of the things I`m currently using:

Washing - Ultima Paint Guard Wash. I also pre-soak with a Gilmour foam gun.

Drying - Waffle Weave MF towels from Pakshak (http://store.pakshak.com/index.html). All of Ranney`s MF towels are second to none.

Paint Correction - Menzerna.

LSP - Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant.

Leather - Zaino Z-10. I heard good things about Leather Master and will try it when the Z-10 runs low.

Glass - No preference.

Rims - Still looking for something good.

Tires - Zaino Z-16

Trim - 1Z Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift or Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick.

If your kit didn`t come with any CCS Grey and Blue pads, you`ll probably want to add some of those as well.

Good luck!

Craig

harpafou2
02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
dublifecrisis, thanks for the feedback.

I`ll have to say though, I`m a little bumbed about the lack of feed back. I have seen tons of people reply to questions. Oh well, I guess I shouldn`t feel so bad that a forum full of professional and amateur detailers have nothing for me.

Cheers...

rm1mty
02-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Heh, you asked a lot of questions, so it`s hard to know where to begin.

You can use the foam pads with the Flex and Makita, as long as the Makita`s BP is the right size to use with the foam pads.

You didn`t mention if you were going to go OTC or purchase online. For OTC, I`d recommend Duragloss 901 for a car wash, Duragloss 105 for a sealant, Duragloss Aquawax to top off regularly, all can be found at your local Carquest. MF towels you can get decent ones at Target (Vroom brand), Kragen (Viking brand). Stoners IG is a good OTC glass cleaner. Armor All original for tires.

I think that`s a good start to building up your detailing supply collection. As for the boutique and online brands, there`s plenty already written about them.

bdh2009
02-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi Poneyexpres

Thought I’d share a few thoughts as I have also have a 2008 e92 M3 in Jerez Black.

I did a fair bit of research at the outset and settled on the following

•Gilmour foam gun with a mixture of Zaino Z7 and DP Extreme Foam

•Zaino Z7, two buckets, grit guard and MF mitt. Dry with waffle weave cloth using pat dry method

•First polish was with Menz 106 but with a grey finishing pad – I asked the dealer not to buff it during pre-delivery but they did a light buff anyway – the grey pad and 106 got the holograms out with a quick pass. Pad was washed in a water and car wash solution and then air dried

•Applied two coats of ZFX and Z5 followed by one coat of Z2 and then another of Z5 – this has lasted 6 months so far but looks a bit thin now

•Finish with a Z6 and Z8

•Good coat of Z10 for the leather (Fox Red)

•Einszett Cockpit Premium (supposed to be good for Euro vinyl) for the interior and Einszett Gummi Pflege for the seals

Weekly/fortnightly cleans use above wash process and z Z6 and Z9 finish off. Mothers Chrome polish for the pipes and 303 for the external vinyl.

Wheels are a PITA (I have 19s) however I use and P21s gel with the EZ Brush – you can also wipe out the inner rims with a MF but you will have nice bruises on your wrist for a few days. BTW I had the dealer apply a coat of Z2 to the inner rims before delivery.

I’m as paranoid about swirls as anyone however the above processes combined with good quality MF has kept the car reasonably swirl free for 7 months now - I think this BMW paint is bloody soft ! It does look like it needs another grey/white pad pass with 106 though and a new Z5/Z2 coating – this time will follow with Zaino CS.

Hope the above helps. :xyxthumbs

harpafou2
02-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Heh, you asked a lot of questions, so it`s hard to know where to begin.

You can use the foam pads with the Flex and Makita, as long as the Makita`s BP is the right size to use with the foam pads.

You didn`t mention if you were going to go OTC or purchase online. For OTC, I`d recommend Duragloss 901 for a car wash, Duragloss 105 for a sealant, Duragloss Aquawax to top off regularly, all can be found at your local Carquest. MF towels you can get decent ones at Target (Vroom brand), Kragen (Viking brand). Stoners IG is a good OTC glass cleaner. Armor All original for tires.

I think that`s a good start to building up your detailing supply collection. As for the boutique and online brands, there`s plenty already written about them.

rm1mty,

Thaks for your input. Yeah I guess I did ask a lot. I will have to break it down in the future. Thanks for your input though.

Here in Ca. I haven`t seen a Car Quest in my area or surrounding area.

As far as going OTC or Boutique products that was one of the things I was hoping to narrow down. There are Walmarts everywhere and Megs seems to be the bigger product line. We have Monument car parts here and they carry the Megs professional line but I would like to try some Boutique stuff. You never know until you try it, right?

So this is where I am at now, for OTC, Meg`s NXT or Professional line looks to be the easiest to pick up. The pads for the Flex and Makita, I will get online as I have no idea where to get them around where I live and there aren`t any Automotive paint stores near by.

I will continue to read on the Boutique stuff everone here uses and make a short list.

Have a great weekend!