PDA

View Full Version : AIO haze?

Carbon04
10-09-2005, 02:29 PM
I washed, clayed and then applied 1 coat of AIO. After I was finished with the first coat I pulled the truck into direct sunlight and I noticed a lot of "smears". I got a fresh microfiber out since I thought it was residue and tried wiping it off with no luck. Any ideas what I do to get rid of it. Thanks in advance. I did everything in the shade and it is only 50* out. I don`t know if that has anything to do with it.

AZ Ferrari Man
10-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Hey Carbon, I think I have two reasons for what is happening? How did you apply the AIO, did you wipe on wipe off, or let it dry? You should wipe it on and then off. Also how much AIO did you use? It is a very spreadable product, so a dime size squirt should allow you do a panel of 2ft by 2ft. Another possible reason is that they are clay smears- how much Detail Spray did you use as lube? If you didn`t saturate the panel prior to claying then that might be what is the problem as well as how hard you were pressing- Hope this helps, also just try some detail spray on the paint and try that out to remove the residue. Chime in with anymore questions!

Andrew

CharlesW
10-09-2005, 02:52 PM
I washed, clayed and then applied 1 coat of AIO. After I was finished with the first coat I pulled the truck into direct sunlight and I noticed a lot of "smears". I got a fresh microfiber out since I thought it was residue and tried wiping it off with no luck. Any ideas what I do to get rid of it. Thanks in advance. I did everything in the shade and it is only 50* out. I don`t know if that has anything to do with it.AIO smearing is a new one on me. Maybe what you are seeing are areas where you didn`t work the AIO long enough to remove some oxidation.
Anyway, I would try using some more AIO on a panel that is smeared.
Use an applicator that you have dampened with water.
Don`t let it dry, wipe it off immediately after you have applied it.

Charles

Carbon04
10-09-2005, 04:54 PM
I went over it the whole truck with a mist of Poorboy`s SG and no more "haze". Don`t know what it was from. How long should I wait until I put a coat of collinite on? Prepping for winter while I can.

CharlesW
10-09-2005, 06:07 PM
I went over it the whole truck with a mist of Poorboy`s SG and no more "haze". Don`t know what it was from. How long should I wait until I put a coat of collinite on? Prepping for winter while I can.You can apply your wax or sealant immediately after using AIO. No need to wait.

Charles

AZ Ferrari Man
10-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah, like CharlesW said that is what makes AIO so great, it is a great prep for a sealant and you can do it right after. AIO brings clarity to the paint but sometimes highlights swirls, so a sealant warms it up a bit, and brings the wet look.

Andrew

JeffM
10-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Using a damp applicator or pad, i have done whole vehicles with AIO without removing, and the only times i have a problem removing residue, is when i use too much, or used a pad/app that was too wet.

CharlesW
10-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Using a damp applicator or pad, i have done whole vehicles with AIO without removing, and the only times i have a problem removing residue, is when i use too much, or used a pad/app that was too wet.I don`t question what you are saying at all, but since AIO says to apply to a panel with a damp applicator and remove it immediately, it is the only way I have ever used it. I seem to remember reading about someone that didn`t remove the AIO at all. Just applied their sealant right over it. I think they were using Klasse SG as the sealant.

It seems like anytime I don`t follow the instructions, I get into trouble.
Heck, I sometimes get into trouble when I do follow the instructions.:)

Charles

Carbon04
10-09-2005, 08:22 PM
thanks for the help everyone..................on to the collinite

JeffM
10-10-2005, 03:42 PM
I agree Charles, not following directions sometimes makes for a long day haha.

When i use UPP, or anything really, i go right over areas that i have missed(AIO areas), and i have no problems removing the residue FWIW.