View Full Version : Ultimate Compound...The Importance Of A Test Spot

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dsoto87
02-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Saw this on another forum...

Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu148/anonstone/IMG_1066.jpg

All I can say is.............ouch.........:bolt

Im betting meguiars customer service line has been getting a ton of phone calls with the same line since ultimate compound hit the store shelves.

For a everyday consumer the directions are a little misleading.

Follow Meguiars Ultimate Compound with Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 to seal in the shine

And from Amazon.com

# Leaves a Like-New Finish and Adds Gloss in One Step

# Perfect to Use Before Waxing

So has anyone actually used this stuff? How does it compare to m105? Its pretty cheap....$10 for 16 ounces

Is it more like m95?

GLuXuRy
02-09-2009, 01:28 AM
wow that sucks

before people start blaming the product ... maybe it was the user ???

Lumadar
02-09-2009, 02:10 AM
I literally used it the same day this guy posted. I used it as the first, and last step to remove my 3,000 grit sanding marks during some extensive touch-up work on a frost white (aka PEARL) Maxima.

This stuff was unbelievable for *me*...it works into the paint, and disappeared like water almost. Virtually nothing to wipe off, and what little there was left came off very easily. I checked under the sun, 1,000 watts of halogens, my HID orange portable light, and a dual Xenon Brinkman (first time using UC, so I wanted to see how it truly worked) and it was 100% gloss lovliness and ready for my topper of Opti-Seal and OCW.

It even removed all of the swirls on the car in the area (I worked a slightly larger area than the sanding) in a single attempt- car has 30,000 miles of use on it.

Very impressed with the product, and I think that Civic was a simple case of improper technique gone horribly wrong.

You can see the finger marks all over the place... yikes.

longdx
02-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I used it on a 2001 Black Sonoma this past Saturday. This vehicle`s previous owner washed in improperly and did not wax it often. That being said, the vehicle had typical swirl marks, deeper scratches, and generally a neglected. surface. I used UC with a cyclo with green light polishing pads and with orange light compounding pads. I was pleasently surprised with the long work time, minimal dusting, and the vast majority of the time the surface is ready for LSP. I saw the post on Meguiars forum and would concur that it was improper application. For me, UC had less bite than Meguiars 105 and is specifically made for DIY`ers (personally I wish it had more but I understand that there are compromises for the home user). It is a real easy product to use. I am curious why that individual decided that UC would be appropriate for such a new vehicle, rather than a light polish (even Swirlx which was possibly right next to that on the shelf).

Alfisti
02-09-2009, 08:44 AM
It IS on Honda! Maybe too strong for such a soft paint. Maybe used a wool pad and rotary and didn`t know what he was doing.

Alfisti
02-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Ok...just looked at MOL...it was by hand.

Here`s the link: Ultimate Compound messed up my paint - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30356)

RaskyR1
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I think we can all agree it was improper technique. Looks like Mike and Al already posted some good info so that the user can fix his problem. ;)

I too think their customer service line will be more busy with the roll out of UC. :nervous2:

RonMexico
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I used UC on a black navigator and black harley f-150 and really like the results. on the harley f-150, there is holograming but i attribute it to improper technique and rushing through. there was a little haziness but that was easily removed with polish that has less cut. it appears to work pretty good for the weekend warrior that wants something OTC.

autoconcierge
02-09-2009, 04:44 PM
If you look at the top of the door, you can plainly see holograms which ONLY a rotary can cause. Why would this guy lie about the product this way? he makes himself look stupid.:down

BigJimZ28
02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
If you look at the top of the door, you can plainly see holograms which ONLY a rotary can cause. Why would this guy lie about the product this way? he makes himself look stupid.:down

:think: sorry I don`t see it

I do see finger marks from trying to using a ompound like a wax

Frito Bandito
02-09-2009, 05:13 PM

Check out the MOL thread. He clearly states he used it by hand. I don`t see how those holograms could only be cause by a rotary, either.

akimel
02-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I`d like to give my support to the title of this thread: the importance of a test spot! The disaster of this car could have been avoided if the individual had done a test spot, instead of polishing his entire car. If he had done a test spot, perhaps he would have seen the disastrous consequences of his technique and would have refrained from inflicting it upon his entire car. Perhaps.

It`s hard for me to look at these pictures without cringing. :(

bimmerzhp
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I saw this today too on Megs site. It is almost hard to believe that using a product by hand can cause that much damage.

craigdt
02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow! Wish I could have gotten that drastic of a result when I have used hand products!

BigAl3
02-09-2009, 10:04 PM
it would be nice if a fellow member could help the guy out...