PDA

View Full Version : 2004 mustang rims, need help

djstretch
10-09-2005, 01:02 AM
i recently bought a 04 mustang gt
the rims don`t shine like i think they could
what products do i need to get them looking good
also want to know how to get the inside back of the rim clean without taking them off
i can reach it but looking for a shortcut
i attached a pic of the same rims
thx in advance
stretch

Miami_Sunset
10-09-2005, 01:57 AM
the best for those polishes aluminum rims would be Adams Metal Polish #1 & #2 they make my rims look like chrome.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/images/site_images/MetalPolishcombo1.jpg

budman3
10-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Are the rims bare aluminum or coated? Does a black residue appear on your applicator when you polish the wheels? To me, they kind of looked like coated aluminum (aluminum wheels with a clear coat on it) Which there really isn`t much you can do to make them shine a lot. But on the other hand, if they are uncoated try to find a mothers power ball and their liquid aluminum polish, that`ll do the job really good, and easy on your part. As for the brake dust on the backside of the wheels, it`ll be difficult to say how to get it off. Normally I`d say just spray some wheel cleaner (A2Z, Spray and Rinse or the Megs wheel cleaner), let it sit, reach what you can and spray off, but not knowing what kind of metal it it, I wouldn`t use any chemicals that aren`t specifically for aluminum. I would try to get it to your applroval now, and when you rotate your times, spend some extra time to polish up the back and throw some type of sealant on there to make it easier in the future.

G35stilez
10-09-2005, 08:31 AM
They ARE clearcoated. My dad had the same ones.

-Clean them with some Eagle 1 A2Z wheel Cleaner and a Meguiar`s spoke brush to agitate behind.
-Polish them like you would polish paint
-Seal up with a paint sealant

-Maintain with car wash soap everytime you wash

Mustang05
10-09-2005, 11:18 AM
I have similar rims as well and like Seans advice. I`ve been using a regular soft dish sponge to clean. However, I don`t think the soft dish sponge is probably the best thing I should be using. I`m thinking I should use a soft brush instead for my regular routine. The meguiar`s spoke brush looks like a safe and effective tool to use to agitate the inside to keep them cleaner than they already are.

Regards
*LS1*

capetan
11-02-2005, 04:51 PM
on all non painted rims alloy and chrome i use phospheric acid (tsp) about a 4:1 ratio.....this stuff leaves no spots or corrosion this stuff is amazing and its super cheap like 8 bucks for a half gallon and that makes 2 gallons of cleaner...
tsp is also good for clean rust and treating all metals
this stuff can be hard to find depending where you live.

tubafeak
11-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Isn`t that stuff (trisodium phosphate) used to etch wooden cabinetry for painting prep?

Beemerboy
11-02-2005, 06:13 PM
This rims are clear coated and polishing them will smoth out the clear and bring back the luster in them....The Adams is good so is PB pro-polish...I wold use a sealant on them to finish to enchance the shine, reduce the brake dust buildup and dulling