PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Service Prices

HaleyZJ
02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi everyone. I`m trying to start a mobile service this summer. I`m currently looking to get all my products (going with meguiars detailer line), tools, and setting my prices. I`m not sure what a fair price would be for certain add ons. I`m pricing myself slightly lower than other services around town since I am new, not as experienced, and a single person operation. Here are the prices I`ve got so far:

Interior Detail - $65+

Add on`s:

Deep carpet shampoo - $20

Vinyl repair - $25

Exterior Detail - $80+

Trim restoration - $45

Headlight restoration - $35

Basic Detail - $120+

Premium Detail - $135+

add $15 truck/SUV exterior

Engine Detail - $50

Undercarriage Detail - $50

So....too high? Too low? Need some imput here. I haven`t used an orbital polisher yet, but have a few practice cars lined up before I actually launch this service.

PTRon
02-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Not enough info to judge your pricing structure - what does each "detail" include? How do you "deep carpet shampoo"? What does "trim restoration" entail? My advice is - start with the basics, offering car wash and wash-n-wax while you learn how to use your tools. Will you be licensed and insured? To arrive at a price you just total all your costs, add hourly rate, add profit = price. If you haven`t yet done the above mentioned procedures, well let`s just say they`ll take alot longer than you think they will. I applaud your entrepeneurial spirit and wish you all the luck in the world (unless you`re in my neighborhood LOL) but it sounds like your youthful enthusiasm has you jumping the gun a little bit.

Street5927
02-10-2009, 06:52 AM
There are many things to consider when trying to set prices. The first thing that you have to look at is your demographical area. What are other`s charging in your area for these services????. For example, where I live, the cost of living is relatively low compared to someone living in Beverly Hills, or Miami, etc. so I cannot charge as much as someone detailing in those areas. Once you determine roughly what the going rate is for most services in your area, then you have a place to start. Of course, you are going to charge what you think you are worth. You said that you don`t have as much experience, so you may want to reduce your prices to what you think you are worth (while still being able to make a profit). Once you become more experienced and better at what you do, then you can charge more, even if you go slightly over the average service price for your area.However, you want to keep within reason of your demographical area. I hope this helps a little.

bryan
02-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Depends on your target market, sounds low for upscale, about right for a bargain details. Judge your market and demographics for your area, even get some info from city hall to determine the average household income for your area

Driven Auto Detail
02-10-2009, 07:33 AM
You`d probably get a little more feedback if you posted in the "Professional" forum, along with specific details of each package you have listed.

Couple things I`d suggest:

1 - Don`t under price. It not only hurts your business, but other detailer`s business as well. Detail business owners already have a hard enough time justifying pricing levels. We don`t need yet another detailing business charging ridiculously low prices.

2 - If you are new and inexperienced, start small. Only offer a couple of services and perfect those services. For example, you may want to start out offering just washes, wash & wax`s, and basic interior cleaning. Once perfected, then you can offer bigger, better services. The fact that you haven`t even used an orbital yet and you`re going to offer some advanced services scares me. Don`t use customers` cars as practice. Again, start small and work your way up.

3 - Get insured!

Showroom Shine
02-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Not enough info to judge your pricing structure - what does each "detail" include? How do you "deep carpet shampoo"? What does "trim restoration" entail? My advice is - start with the basics, offering car wash and wash-n-wax while you learn how to use your tools. Will you be licensed and insured? To arrive at a price you just total all your costs, add hourly rate, add profit = price. If you haven`t yet done the above mentioned procedures, well let`s just say they`ll take alot longer than you think they will. I applaud your entrepeneurial spirit and wish you all the luck in the world (unless you`re in my neighborhood LOL) but it sounds like your youthful enthusiasm has you jumping the gun a little bit.

I agree! Detailing is a very broad word,that covers alot of things. Everyone has a different definition and process. Check out The IDA. Also the Detailing Vocabulary on Mobileworks.