PDA

View Full Version : Understanding carwash solutions

Fallz
02-07-2009, 08:25 PM
OK , so we all know what that is ......

Megs , DG , ect.... everyone has one.

STEP 1.When you wash a car the standard has always been to rinse off the junk and get it wet.

STEP 2. Then you mix as directed water to solution ratio.

STEP 3. You then soak the device of choice , (wash mit) and do a panel or whatever you prefer at the time , then rinse off with the hose or whatever you use.

By doing this would you not be rubbing the dirt off or into the paint before rinsing ?

Would not the same thing happen when using QEW or ONR ?

I think basically all carwash`s claim to "clean , shine and protect" these days which means they would work similar to ONR where some very slight protection and slickness left behind. Using either a carwash or a QEW / ONR product at what point is the dirt wiped away ?? or some/all claim it lifts the dirt to wipe the car without marring.

The protection (of what ever mfg.calls it ) must provide the lubrication for this to happen.

Just some of the wall questions . You education/input in this would be appreciated.

Mike

Accumulator
02-08-2009, 12:21 PM
OK , so we all know what that is ......

Megs , DG , ect.... [people do the seemingly obvious, but]...

By doing this would you not be rubbing the dirt off or into the paint before rinsing ?

Yeah, IMO that`s the cause of most wash-induced marring. The direct pressure applied to the dirt (by pressing the wash medium against the panels) results in marring once that dirt-under-pressure gets moved across the paint.

This is why I like the constant lubrication and flushing provided by spraying with a foamgun at the point where the wash medium is (*very gently*) contacting the paint. The general idea is "dislodge and flush" as opposed to "scrub".

Would not the same thing happen when using QEW or ONR ?

Yeah, at least to some extent. Which is why *some of us* (namely me) experience some degree of marring with those types of wash under some conditions. (Heh heh, how was that for a "YMMV" disclaimer ;) ).

But those washes are especially good with regard to lubrication and encapsulation, so the problem is (often) greatly minimized compared to how most people wash "the conventional way".